Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Banned
9,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so in a perfect world, the player on the tour that has accomplished the most (S Williams) should have the most number of fans, followed by the player on tour that has accomplished the 2nd most etc. all the way down to the player that has accomplished the least (Brie Whitehead and other bagel girls) should have the least number of fans.

but obviously that is not the case on this site. for example, it has been shown from several popularity contests that Mary Pierce is the most popular (instead of S Williams). Elena Dementieva, Ana Ivanovic, Tatiana Golovin's fan bases relatively exceed their accomplishments. While Nadia Petrova's popularity grossly lag her accomplishments.

what are the reasons for this? It could be something very simple - Latisha Chan's popularity was boosted after her English name was revealed. obviously beauty helps the case of players like Dementieva, Ivanovic and Golovin and dosen't for Petrova / Kuznetsova etc. In Petrova's case, her attitude on the court doesn't help her cause.

IMO players whose popularity exceed their accomplishments:

1 Dementieva
2 Golovin
3 Ivanovic
4 Hantuchova
5 Chan
6 Whitehead

IMO players whose popularity underestimate their accomplishments:

1 Petrova (she has a total of 5 fans on this board)
2 Henin (she should have many more fans)
3 Kuznetsova
4 Mauresmo

name some other players whose following here far exceed / underestimate their accomplishments ... what are the reasons?

·
Registered
13,897 Posts
Re: Players' Whose Popularity On WTAWorld Is Least Correlated To Their Accomplishments ??

Sexy Lexy Stevenson! :woohoo:

She's so good she RARELY faces match points, even when she loses!

Reactions: Paul.

·
Premium Member
36,826 Posts
Re: Players' Whose Popularity On WTAWorld Is Least Correlated To Their Accomplishments ??

:spit: @ Whitehead :lol:

and no Nadia has more than 5 fans here, look at her supportive thread in Russian Roulette forum ;) :p

Reactions: goldenlox

·
Registered
29,542 Posts

i think its kind of unfair to list golovin and ivanovic there because they are like the future of womens tennis and many people are expecting a lot from them so maybe they do deserve their fanbases (lol yes i know im being biased but yeh)
and as for mauresmo...SHE HAS TONS OF FANS!!! she has more than golovin nd i dno about pierce but she has sooo many fans!

·
Banned
4,328 Posts

believe me venus and serena have fans world wide,the most popular players in usa are venus and serena not pova or nicole.they are supported by people of all races.serena might not win because she annihilates favourites of many.
if you are as accomplished as serena is ,there are going to be rabid haters.
a friend in our dorm couldnt eat before the australian final because she was so nervous serena would lose.

·
Registered
391 Posts

Is it not possible to be a fan of more than one player?
People on this board seem to think liking Justine and Serena (for example) is mutually exclusive.
Some of us admire players for their skill and achievement; not just because they look nice.

·
Registered
9,347 Posts
Molik!!....number 8 in the world is pretty high, she has barely any!....and PRATTY!....cuz she been around for ages:p and still doesnt have many fans:(

·
Registered
8,570 Posts

na li

·
Registered
10,424 Posts

Dinara Safina

·
Beware Of The Dog, Bitch.
21,902 Posts

so in a perfect world, the player on the tour that has accomplished the most (S Williams) should have the most number of fans, followed by the player on tour that has accomplished the 2nd most etc. all the way down to the player that has accomplished the least (Brie Whitehead and other bagel girls) should have the least number of fans.

but obviously that is not the case on this site. for example, it has been shown from several popularity contests that Mary Pierce is the most popular (instead of S Williams). Elena Dementieva, Ana Ivanovic, Tatiana Golovin's fan bases relatively exceed their accomplishments. While Nadia Petrova's popularity grossly lag her accomplishments.

what are the reasons for this? It could be something very simple - Latisha Chan's popularity was boosted after her English name was revealed. obviously beauty helps the case of players like Dementieva, Ivanovic and Golovin and dosen't for Petrova / Kuznetsova etc. In Petrova's case, her attitude on the court doesn't help her cause.

1 Dementieva
2 Golovin
3 Ivanovic
4 Hantuchova
5 Chan
6 Whitehead

3 Kuznetsova
4 Mauresmo

name some other players whose following here far exceed / underestimate their accomplishments ... what are the reasons?
:haha: 4.

It's gotta be Hantuchova for me. I mean, she isn't even that hot, she totally sucks, yet, has her own WTA World army. :unsure:

We've been over why Petrova doesn't have fans. Besides, she hasn't even been close to winning a Slam so I don't really see how her "popularity underestimates her accomplishments." Who really cares about bullshit tier I clay titles?

Amelie has quite a lot of fans.

Weird fact: Lindsay Davenport had a TON of British fans on here. Probably more than American ones.

·
Registered
14,816 Posts

1 Dementieva
2 Golovin
3 Ivanovic
4 Hantuchova
5 Chan
6 Whitehead

3 Kuznetsova
4 Mauresmo

Good thread, and you're mostly spot on these lists.

I feel that Mauresmo has a relatively large and devoted fanbase (in the sense that it's visible on GM), though.

Safina on the other hand is top 10 yet has no fans whatsoever and nobody gives a flying fuck about her.

I always thought that, considering her huge successes and being such an approachable and appealing character (though this is disputed), Clijsters should be among the 2-3 most popular players on this board, and she isn't.

Also, Vaidisova has a considerably smaller fanbase than the contemporaries she's usually lumped with, Ivanovic and Golovin.

·
Banned
7,679 Posts
:
We've been over why Petrova doesn't have fans. Besides, she hasn't even been close to winning a Slam so I don't really see how her "popularity underestimates her accomplishments." Who really cares about bullshit tier I clay titles?
Rather like fine wine, art-house cinema and truly great music - Nadia's highly 'technical game' and great personality is an acquired taste! :angel:

edit: why doesn't Dinara Safina have many fans?

·
Registered
115,309 Posts

Who cares about Tier I clay titles? :haha:
As long as Nadia keeps winning them. She won 2 of those last year.

·
What's this?
14,651 Posts
Good thread, and you're mostly spot on these lists.

I feel that Mauresmo has a relatively large and devoted fanbase (in the sense that it's visible on GM), though.

Safina on the other hand is top 10 yet has no fans whatsoever and nobody gives a flying fuck about her.

I always thought that, considering her huge successes and being such an approachable and appealing character (though this is disputed), Clijsters should be among the 2-3 most popular players on this board, and she isn't.

Also, Vaidisova has a considerably smaller fanbase than the contemporaries she's usually lumped with, Ivanovic and Golovin.
Rather like fine wine, art-house cinema and truly great music - Nadia's highly 'technical game' and great personality is an acquired taste! :angel:

edit: why doesn't Dinara Safina have many fans?
She does have fans we're just not as vocal as many fanbases here :p

·
Registered
3,509 Posts

Maria Kirilenko's number of fans exceeds her results

Shahar Peer deserves more so as Lucie Safarova

·
Registered
115,309 Posts

Dinara has plenty of fans. They aren't goofball trolls, so you don't notice them trying to ruin other threads.

Reactions: watchdogfish
1 - 20 of 85 Posts