Tennis Forum banner
41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
tennnisfannn said:
I believe serena should be included in this for the AO 2002. Since the canadian open 2001 she only lost to venus and was in blistering form. If she hadn't been injured at the AO she might have actually won the GS which is alot harder to accomplish than a single GS. I don't see her doing it now coz venus, kim and Justine are now troubling her alot more.
No, Lindsay AO '02. She hadn't lost a match after the US Open '01 and was full of confidence... and then came the knee surgery. Her challengers would have been Capriati, who she owns and didn't actually play that well Down Under last year, Hingis, Seles, a young and self-doubting Clijsters, and an injured venus. That's Lindsay's title.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Amonr players who did win other Grand Slams, the one who missed more chances IMO was Seles after the stabbing. She had a really good shot at RG'97 and '98, and specially at WB'98. Also, if she had gotten past Hingis at AO'02 I think she would have beaten Capriati.

Among players who never won any Slam and have retired already, MJF, for the reasons stated above. I also think that if Tauziat would have won the second set tiebreak at WB'98, Novotna would have collapsed in the third. But it was sweet to see her (finnaly) winnning a Slam...

·
Premium Member
27,133 Posts
Mary Joe Fernandez had some good chances in Australia.

Amanda Coetzer would not have beaten Hingis in 1997.

Monica's best chance of winning Wimbledon was in 1992. Any other chances have never been as good - looking at her match against Zvereva, she struggled so much, I suspect Novotna would have had a highly likely chance of beating her anyway (and believe me it's hard for me to admit that :mad: ) if you look at the way she dissected Martina Hingis in the semis.

I agree with irma :hearts: about Kimiko Date in Wimbledon - one good set does not mean you can win a match (I'm not so sure about the Steffi being sick part though :p ).

Monica would have been the favourite in the Oz 2002 final, had she made it.

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
I think last year when Serena sprained her ankle causing her to miss the AO she really missed a huge chance to win the calendar Grand Slam. She was in an easy section of the draw before she pulled out (ADRIANA Serra Zanetti got to the QF from that section), and i think she would have beaten Hingis and Capriati since she was starting to get the better of them, having thrashed Hingis the last time they played. That was really a missed opportunity to further cement her place in the history books.

Also at the AO 1996 Chanda was playing so great in all her rounds, then she played Monica and had a lead in the match, cant really remember what it was but she was close to winning that. Monica then went on to win the title of course, so if Chanda had beaten Monica i think she would have won, as she was playing better than anyone else Monica had to face after that.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Experimentee said:
Also at the AO 1996 Chanda was playing so great in all her rounds, then she played Monica and had a lead in the match, cant really remember what it was but she was close to winning that. Monica then went on to win the title of course, so if Chanda had beaten Monica i think she would have won, as she was playing better than anyone else Monica had to face after that.
Rubin led 5-2 in the final set, at 5-3 she served for the match it was 30-all and later Deuce.

·
Registered
13,411 Posts
poor chanda she just came from that epic match against ASV 16-14 in the 3rd !!!!!!!!!! which lasted 3'33 hours!

if she had beaten monica she surely would get past anke huber in the final.

later in 1996 she played great to reach the final in miami and a career high No6 but then injuries forced her out of all the other slams and the olympics :sad:

41 - 46 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.