Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
who still had some good tennis in them..discuss

Sabatini (26), Huber (26), Spirlea (26),Zvereva (30), Novotna (31) & any others that come to mind.

I think Jana had some good tennis left in her. she was only a year removed from her wimbledon win when she retired, and was injured in '99. If she were healthy, she could have been a factor. Sabatini- if was ever able to fix that serve, possibly--injuries took her out in '96. Who knows what happened to spirlea--she was talented--would have liked to see her around a little longer. I think Huber was already past her prime, same with zvereva (but liked to watch them both).

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
Manuela and Katerina quite young, cause they wanted to start families. And Amanda and Arantxa where both done, they had played for too long and the game wasnt in there head as much anymore esp Amanda. Its time for them to have a personal life.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sabatini's serve at least towards the end of her career was absurdly slow.

Hingis and kournikova at leats from what we know stopped because of injuries. Amanda was like 32 and didn't have the results anymore. Same with Arantxa--the retriever style was getting harder and harder to pull off.

Hopefully Lucic isn't done yet. she played a challenger event in the clay season, but that's it this year

·
Registered
39,329 Posts
I disagree with Katerina Maleeva, who became worse and worse in the end of her career and had serves like Kournikova. As for Manuela, you're right. Maggie on the other hand probably should have retired earlier....

I think Jana's decision was right. She had plans to play a lot longer than 2000, but the tour was getting more and more powerful and her injury didn't heal completely. Her FH technique was her biggest problem though. If she had no time (which was the case quite often), she'd have had no chance anymore on anything except maybe grass and indoors - and wouldn't have been top-10 anymore...

I think that Date, Anke Huber and Dominique Van Roost should have stayed around longfer. Probably also Julie Halard-Decugis and Nathalie Tauziat, because all of them were still quite succesful when they left.

·
Registered
8,857 Posts
<shocked and awed>

KRASNOROUSTKAYA!

family....HMPH!

·
Banned
322 Posts
Hanke Uber retired too early. girlfriend never fulfilled her Po tent shall.

·
Banned
25,017 Posts
Roger Federer's g/f. She had amazing talent...

What was her name again? :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
12,062 Posts
RenaSlam588 said:
Roger Federer's g/f. She had amazing talent...

What was her name again? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Miroslava Vavrinec
she wasn't that good..

Is Mirjana retired?!
Wasn't she playing challengers and etc..?!
:confused:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Perhaps a controversial statement - perhaps not....BUT

I think the state of women's doubles (which is still pretty could) could be outstanding if half of the great retirees came back. I don't dare argue (although I could try) that Hingis, Sanchez-Vicario, Novotna, Navratilova, Sabatini etc. could have played on successfully on the singles tour (thought I do think Hingis certainly could have at least) but even now, at the age some of those players are, they could be contender for Grand Slam doubles titles because as Navratilova (and even Arantxa) has proved you don't need as much stamina or power in doubles, it is about finesse and all court-style and all of those players in my opinion if you teamed them up with other doubles stars or bright young players could have very successful doubles careers still....

As for retiring BEFORE thier time - I think Arantxa and perhaps even Novotna could have done more on a small scale. I think Navratilova could have done more. But if we are talking players who retired while they could still have done more on a large scale, then I think Kimiko Date ceratinly and even Gabriela Sabatini if she could have worked on the mental side and of course, most of all, Martina Hingis.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
sabatini's serve at least towards the end of her career was absurdly slow.
Gaby's serve was a disaster to behold.I remember Mary Carillo commenting during a match that: "Sabatini's serve is such a duck that when it hits the court it qwacks".
However, at the end of her career her serve was better than it had been in a long time! With Juan Nunez, her serve had gotten more power, and consistency. Which makes it all the more annoying that she up ,and retired like she did.

I miss Spirlea, as well.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts