Tennis Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
3,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some top tennis players are very recognizable off the court as well as on the court and others seem very quiet and don't get as much attention as otherwise. I just wonder if those who are seemingly quiet and take back seats are really the kind of people who we assume.
Because of the language barrier in my opinion some players are unable to show who they really are as much as other players can. My favorite, Maggie Maleeva rarely appears on the scence outside the tennis court and that frustrates me a lot cuz I would like to know more about her. What do you think?

·
Registered
601 Posts
And then there are those who despite thier poor language skills still manage to be outspoken (like Myskina...but I love her for it!)

·
Premium Member
21,311 Posts
Maggie is actually pretty outgoing and is one of the most popular players amongst her peers. Very well respected. Anyway, it's not so much that she is quiet, it's just that I don't think she goes looking for attention.

Maggie can offer an opinion or two, and when she is actually interviewed she has lots of insightful things to say.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Some of Maleeva's low profile is due to the fact that she hasn't really performed in Grand Slams, which is what main audiences care about.

Other players with a low profile (in comparison to their achievements): Davenport (sort of), Farina-Elia, Shaughnessy

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Yeah, Maggie has a low profile and when I read interviews with her, I am always impressed with her views and insights. It's pretty cool.

I think that Bovina has a pretty low profile. So does Farina-Elia, Pistolesi, and Rubin.

I know that this may sound odd, but I also think that Venus and Lindsay have pretty low profiles. I mean, yes, they are top stars and get lots of attention, but they are not attention seekers. They are pretty introverted and like to just focus on their games. I'm not saying that others in the top 20 are attention seekers, but they are certainly more visibly active than Venus or Lindsay. You never see the two of them go out much. And they seem pretty guarded with their presonal lives. I guess, Monica falls into that category as well.

Reactions: 1jackson2001

·
Diosa Contable
2,945 Posts
I think the clearest low-profile case is Conchita. We don't even talk about her *in* here (the Board) and look at her career and her achievements. Not to take anything from Maggie, but they are in a different league, and if I were to count the threads in English about Conchita and Maggie in Gen Mess, I still think Maggie would had more.

She's been ignored by the press and the average tennis fans, much to her delight I am sure, but unfortunately also by sponsors, and that's something she's probably not that happy about. :p

·
psychotic banana
3,022 Posts
vs1 said:
Yeah, Maggie has a low profile and when I read interviews with her, I am always impressed with her views and insights. It's pretty cool.

I think that Bovina has a pretty low profile. So does Farina-Elia, Pistolesi, and Rubin.

I know that this may sound odd, but I also think that Venus and Lindsay have pretty low profiles. I mean, yes, they are top stars and get lots of attention, but they are not attention seekers. They are pretty introverted and like to just focus on their games. I'm not saying that others in the top 20 are attention seekers, but they are certainly more visibly active than Venus or Lindsay. You never see the two of them go out much. And they seem pretty guarded with their presonal lives. I guess, Monica falls into that category as well.
I agree.. :)

·
Banned
96 Posts
yeah, Rubin is pretty low key

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
Rubin, Myskina, or Schnyder.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts