Tennis Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
usually the best players start to become big when they're in their late teens (hingis, venus, serena, maria, vika, caro, ana... basically everyone) but some players take longer

halep - 22
henin - 22
kerber - 24
stosur - 25
konta - 25

anyone else? i'd consider a factor being top 10-15

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Schiavone owns this thread

·
Registered
13,193 Posts
Kerber (relatively so), if one remembers that she's just 1 year younger than Sharapova. :eek: But it was only in 2011 when she's become a factor.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Sevastova

·
Blighted and solo
43,985 Posts
Vesnina

·
Registered
10,717 Posts
usually the best players start to become big when they're in their late teens (hingis, venus, serena, maria, vika, caro, ana... basically everyone) but some players take longer

halep - 22
henin - 22
kerber - 24
stosur - 25
konta - 25

anyone else? i'd consider a factor being top 10-15
I saw the thread title and started thinking about the ATP.

So, for instance, Wawrinka wins his first major age 28 and has his best years from the age of 28 to 32.

Then bizarelly Kevin Anderson cracks top 10 for the first time in his career age 33 and makes a Wimbledon final the same year (2018).

Fabio Fognini cracked top 10 for the first time this year at the age of 32 or 33.

So that was I was thinking of when you mentioned becomming a factor later in their career.

Henin made the French Open semifinal and Wimbledon final in 2001 at the age of 19 so she already made a name for herself very early. We were talking about her since 2000 when we noticed that backhand.

I think the age eligibility criteria has changed the game, and for the better. Players are not allowed to play a full schedule until they are 18 so it is good players are now playing their best in their mid 20s to early 30s. Many of the players you mentioned there were a non factor by their mid 20s for varying reasons.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Hingis become a factor at her early teens and was done a bit after her late teens. As for a player I remember being a non factor until 22-23 but eventually getting into the top 10 Alicia Molik comes to mind.

·
Registered
21,228 Posts
Li Na
Safarova

·
Art & Futures
21,172 Posts
I mentioned some players in the thread where the OP hates on Qiang Wang

·
Registered
That Woman
4,611 Posts
Schiavone owns this thread
At the same time, kind of not though. She made a slam QF when she was 20, and she was a top 20 player for most of four years when she was 23-26.

Yes she very much eclipsed all that at 29, but it's not like she went from never in the top 50 to slam champion. She was a seed at the majors for nearly a decade before that true breakthrough, and much of that time making 2nd weeks.

For comparison, Sofia Kenin is being highly touted right now by virtue of two Int'l level titles and a slam R16, and she's only a few months younger than Schiavone was when she made the French QFs in 2001.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts