Tennis Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kerber -32 in January, content with her 3 slams, enjoyed her Indian summer late on in her career but past her best, last 4 slam performances have been shocking, 3 of those 4 in early rounds in straights to fairly average players.

Serena Williams - 38 in 2 months, never been the same post pregnancy and she's been back a while now, she's virtually a part time player not interested in the tour or being number 1, just slams, and with so few matches can't be expected to just turn up to them and win, it's a damning indictment of the tour she has actually made two finals she hasn't looked spectacular in them, comprehensively outplayed in both final matches however. Looks average this Wimbledon. Would like to see her break Court's record but she will lose here to first half decent player she comes across, probably Barty in the quarters, legs look gone. Too thick around the waist, I say that as an observation not a criticism.

Wozniacki, 29 next week, that slam win in Aussie done it for her, like a cork popping, all those years of pressure finally being released, a monkey off of her back, hardly surprising the motivation is not the same, especially as she's now a married women probably broody thinking about kids, slam results since Oz 18 reflect it to, R4-2-3-3-1-3.

Ostapenko - after her slam win I said she's peaked already, it'll never get as good as that for her again, didn't think she was worthy of her slam with her general level of play and trash serve and Simona lost it rather than it being won, lost count of the number of R1 exits since, I like her presence on tour with her perculiar demeanour and amusing facial expressions but she'll be dining out on that 1 slam win for the rest of her career and life I'm afraid. Her compatriot Sevastova is a better player and more worthy. Only saving grace is her age and time on her side, maybe she can fluke another one but would not put my hard earned money on it. I'm afraid we'll have to file this one under 'flash in the pan'.

Azarenka - 30 end of the month, endless issues with being a mother and more pertintently off court custody battles which must weigh on her like a ton of bricks, even when that charade is over (apparently the baby's father's family and friends are not the frindliest of people?) to come back to the level she was at before is impossible, her best days are simply over, it's a shame because she was the one and only player for a long time that could challenge Serena when Serena was at her best, she lost most of them but they were always compeititve.

Cibulkova - 30, I'll keep this short, she's much more interested in being a social media star than being a tennis player, will probably retire soon.

Bouchard - Does not possess the mentality to dedicate herself to tennis, more interested in pleasing her social media followers than maximising her career, her sponsors are now so desperate for her to remain relevant they've conjured up this nonsense hollywood film revolving around her internet date she had, it's embarrassing, once the next hot blonde burst on to the scene she'll be dropped like a hot potatoe, I don't think she's reached a second week of a slam in over 4 years.

Sharapova - 32, writing is one the wall, it would not surprise me if this was her final season, only thing keeping her going is winning one more major to prove she can without meldonium but she's shown no signs of that happen and now struggles with fitness the longer matches go on. It'd be a miracle if she reach her former level and I've seen no evidence to show that she can, cooked.

Bacszinsky - 30, who doesn't like Timea, but since that French Open semi run in 2017 she's been on a downward spiral ever since, terrible last couple of seasons and should probably take a break from the game, I'm not sure if tennis was ever really even in her heart, her dad was one of these pushy parent types living his life through her, you have to question if she really wants to play anymore full stop.

Lisicki - 30 in a couple of months, if ever there was a confidence player it is Sabine, she cannot buy a win these days, another one who has never seem to have recovered from her one and only slam final in 2013, year end raking ever since has got worse and worse. One of the nicest players out there but her time has come and gone.

·
Registered
115,518 Posts
This is an interesting topic, because I think there is a transition going on and its potentially a very good time for the tour.
There is so much parity, yet the last 2 #1s are getting a lot of attention, Serena is getting attention, even a 15 year old is getting attention. The tour has stars

Wozniacki - probably finished as a contender. Only won more than 2 matches at one event all year and this illness is not going away
Sharapova - probably finished. Her body cant hold up to playing the tour regularly
Kerber - still moves well, still can contend
Azarenka - not the same mentally but might make a run once in awhile
Serena - I think nearing the end. I want to see what she does here & NY. Might have another slam in her
Venus - done as a contender, but will always be a legend of the sport
Bouchard, Ostapenko, Osaka.. who knows? Toughen up girls!

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
The only one of those that I disagree with is Ostapenko. Her current brand of tennis may be one-dimensional, brainless, unappealing, etc., but she is still only 22-years-old and has plenty of time to develop a serve, better fitness, and alternative strategies on the court. Plus, as a grand slam champion, she has more access to top tier coaches and hitting partners if she is willing to put forth the effort.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kuznetsova and Stosur are of course two others.
Muguruza has a lot left to give the game.

Williams sisters and Sharapova have carried the sport for many years, they'll be a big void when they're gone, if a sport doesn't have stars it's hard to sell to the casual public, don't really see anyone at the minute with star quality, not buying into Cori Gauff at the age of 15 when she's played 3 matches on tour, calm down people :lol:

tbh, what the tour really needs to sell to the masses is a hot blonde who can win slams, Maria was that for a good while, Kournikova never going to reach that level and Bouchard's rise and fall was in the blink of an eye. Because of sponsorship contracts, everyone's scared to say anything that will lose them, so we have a lot of generic answers and not many willing to show personality.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Kuznetsova and Stosur are of course two others.
Muguruza has a lot left to give the game.

Williams sisters and Sharapova have carried the sport for many years, they'll be a big void when they're gone, if a sport doesn't have stars it's hard to sell to the casual public, don't really see anyone at the minute with star quality, not buying into Cori Gauff at the age of 15 when she's played 2 matches on tour, calm down people :lol:

tbh, what the tour really needs to sell to the masses is a hot blonde who can win slams, Maria was that for a good while, Kournikova never going to reach that level and Bouchard's rise and fall was in the blink of an eye. Because of sponsorship contracts, everyone's scared to say anything that will lose them, so we have a lot of generic answers and not many willing to show personality.
She was always touted as a future multi-slam champ and had that level of talent, but the many injuries ended her career at 21.

But why does it have to be a blonde? Why not a beautiful woman of color?

·
Registered
115,518 Posts
Tour needs a star from China. The Zhang/Yastremska match is very interesting because Zhang was very good today and could be the next big money star, even though US hype is about Gauff.
Very big round of 16s with
Halep/Gauff
Yastremska/Zhang

If you are marketing strategies for the WTA future, that is the section that matters, and you want Zhang

For them to get a 15 year old making a run and a player from China taking 12 of the last 14 games from Wozniacki is a potential gold mine for the WTA
Barty and Osaka are good for them. Qiang is still in the draw playing Mertens. There are a lot of future positives. I'll discuss this again after tomorrows results
Men have the big 3, women have a nice future

Reactions: Retired.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
She was always touted as a future multi-slam champ and had that level of talent, but the many injuries ended her career at 21.

But why does it have to be a blonde? Why not a beautiful woman of color?

Going by history in various industries, Hollywood, Music, Modelling, Sport etc. The commerical departments target them to sell sex as they decided/worked it they have most appeal, which is why Barbie was white with blonde hair even going way back, why likes of Bouchard has so many endorsement deals / a lot of social media followers when she's never won a slam.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts