Tennis Forum banner

41 - 60 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Venus, Osaka, Clijsters

Players who get a lot of hate on Tennsforum and get criticized very easily and for everything:
Vandeweghe
Collins
Ostapenko
Siegemund
Putintseva
Serena
Wozniacki
Sharapova
What did Clijsters and Venus do to warrant any criticism?

·
Registered
50,596 Posts
What did Clijsters and Venus do to warrant any criticism?
Venus skipped press conferences after tough losses.
But that was hardly mentioned and criticized anywhere.

Also Venus has given some bad handshakes.

And these things are almost forgotten.
People act like Venus is a saint.

Whereas when Serena, Vandeweghe, Collins, Ostapenko, Siegemund, Putintseva, Wozniacki or Sharapova would do these things, they would get a lot of hate and heavy criticism.
And these things would never be forgotten.
Double standard ...

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #44

Whereas when Serena, Vandeweghe, Collins, Ostapenko, Siegemund, Putintseva, Wozniacki or Sharapova would do these things, they would get a lot of hate and heavy criticism.
Double standard ...
Hmm okay. Aber und Kim? Ich habe niemals gesehen, sie etwas falsch macht.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Are we going to sit here and not talk about how boring Barty is?

I’ve heard a lot of people say Barty is boring, but she doesn’t bother me. I quite like her. She handled press well at Wimbledon after her loss, and I enjoyed watching her play Svitolina at YEC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
So basically you're saying that just because she didnt beat Serena to win a slam, she doesn't merit her title? That's dumb. That's about all I got from your comment.

Serena is on her way out. She's no longer the benchmark. Barty is defeating players she will face and have rivalries with LONG after Serena is done and dusted.

Really tho...the only multi slam champs playing today are Serena, Venus, Maria, Kerber, Osaka, Kvitova, Halep, and Muguruza. I'm sure she will face one of them in a slam final...probably next year would be her last chance to probably meet them in a final. I just get the feeling your comment was more about her not beating Serena in a final than any other player.
You'll note, I never said "Serena" at all in my post, I said Slam winner... Essentially Barty hasn't won anything this year against anyone of note, or any slam winner... Her biggest win this year was beating Svitolina at YEC, and even she hasn't come close to winning a Slam, as good as she is...

Basically I noted Barty has been getting a pass for being the player of the year, when really she's just been a "very good" and "quite consistent" player this year...

·
Registered
866 Posts
She’s gotten a pass all year on her lucky draws... Who did she beat this year in all her titles?

She’s the only slam winner this year who never beat another multiple time Slam winner to get hers... Her other titles this year were just as much the results of a fluke of a draw...
She didn't get a pass for this at all.

·
Registered
8,518 Posts

And these things would never be forgotten.
Double standard ...
Also Kenin gets lot of hate when she is really just competitive and Hingis got a lot of hate for being mean and bratty but mostly she was just outspoken and young

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Are we going to sit here and not talk about how boring Barty is?
She’s gotten a pass all year on her lucky draws... Who did she beat this year in all her titles?

She’s the only slam winner this year who never beat another multiple time Slam winner to get hers... Her other titles this year were just as much the results of a fluke of a draw...

you may have misinterpreted the question or just really lack comprehensive reading and critical thought skills.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
@Honalee You and @amyd_1989 have had hate boners for Ash all year. How's that "getting a pass"? If there's a thread that poses an opportunity for you to hate on Ash you're there with bells on.
I don't hate the player at all... She's a very good player, very talented, and is in great shape... But she's not a number 1 player. She's had a lot of luck and good fortune this year.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Also Kenin gets lot of hate when she is really just competitive and Hingis got a lot of hate for being mean and bratty but mostly she was just outspoken and young
This is an example of a player who should be ranked much higher this year... But had some bad matchups early on, faced some of the best players on tour, won a lot of matches, but not the important ones worth the most points... Kenin should be huge news in America, but the media has been obsessed with several other players instead of their second highest ranked...

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
she's not a number 1 player
Math. Is not that hard. And you use only addition too! Just try it! (seriously, this is the most idiotic thing in these forums. Being #1 is not in any way a stamp of quality and goatness and all that jazz. Ranking is just a way to sort in the most objective way these ladies for the purpose of seeding and entering various tournaments.)

·
Registered
599 Posts
This is an example of a player who should be ranked much higher this year... But had some bad matchups early on, faced some of the best players on tour, won a lot of matches, but not the important ones worth the most points... Kenin should be huge news in America, but the media has been obsessed with several other players instead of their second highest ranked...
absolutely correct.

as far as this thread is concerned, whenever your favourite player does something out of the normal, usually you will find a way to give them a pass. ( i always do), unless it was blatantly disrespectful.

as an example, if camila gives one of her usual handshakes, i will give her a pass as that is what she always does ( unfortunately), but if someone else does something similar, i will most likely bring it to attention.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Players that get a pass: conventionally attractive ones
Reason for it: they're conventionally attractive*

*Helps if they are ballbashers and/or blonde
I agree that being a ballbasher helps, but I'm not so sure about the blonde conventionally attractive. Kanepi and Pliskova 2 of the most mentioned here aren't conventionally attractive.

On the other hand, a lot of conventionally attractive players get a lot of hate, like Svitolina, Kerber, Bouchard, Wozniacki, Sharapova (in this case deservedly so).

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
I agree that being a ballbasher helps, but I'm not so sure about the blonde conventionally attractive. Kanepi and Pliskova 2 of the most mentioned here aren't conventionally attractive.

On the other hand, a lot of conventionally attractive players get a lot of hate, like Svitolina, Kerber, Bouchard, Wozniacki, Sharapova (in this case deservedly so).
Well, I think once a player is successful at winning big titles and beating other people's faves, they all start to have their haters. If Giorgi and Yastremska start to do that, it'll probably happen to them too.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Well, I think once a player is successful at winning big titles and beating other people's faves, they all start to have their haters. If Giorgi and Yastremska start to do that, it'll probably happen to them too.
With that we can agree. Unless that player is Kim, Petra or someone with absurd levels of charisma.

41 - 60 of 101 Posts