Tennis Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hendouble said:
It's sad that the ratings for a Grand Slam final depend upon the presence of such a narrow range of players. The poster who said that many players don't market themselves well enough these days in America is missing the point; they have other things to do, like play tennis. It's the governing bodies in tennis and the marketing agencies and perhaps above all else, the TV networks that need to be promoting them better.
First off, note that the thread title is a paraphrase not a quote. Hendouble's actual quote is reproduced above.

Here's the sentence I take issue with.
"It's the governing bodies in tennis and the marketing agencies and perhaps above all else, the TV networks that need to be promoting them better."
The fastest growing sport in the USA is NASCAR. One reason they're growing so quickly is that they use an interesting marketing strategy. Much more so than in any other sport, the drivers and team are responsible for advertising and endorsements. If the drivers DON'T get involved in marketing themselves, no one else does it.

That's the reality in tennis as well, but we don't admit it. Individual players get individual endorsement dollars, and help promote tournaments to the extent they're paid to do so.

'The governing bodies in tennis'?

WHAT governing bodies?

The WTA is a mismanaged shell corporation.

The ITF is already making top dollar, and they're interests, outside of the slams, run to tournaments that aren't affected by TV ratings.

The USTA promotes American players.

'the TV networks'?

The TV networks already have the contracts they want. CBS gets any Williams sister final. ESPN gets it otherwise. That's the best deal for the TV people. The most expensive coverage goes only to the two players who guarantee big ratings.

As it stands, the only people guaranteed to make money by promoting the other players is those players and their respective national federations. What is the Belgian Tennis Federation doing to promote Kim and Justine in the States? If they get name recognition in the States, it opens up endorsement revenue worldwide not just for them, but for Belgian tennis. Betcha Kirsten Flipkens would like to know travel and expenses for her, her coach and her trainer was covered for next year. THAT'S the kind of thing more investment money in Belgian tennis means. Non-Americans become stars here all the time. It's not all about them not being American. Manchester United just toured the States and sold out all but one stadium.

The person who said " ....many players don't market themselves well enough these days in America ...." hit the point exactly. In the new media marketplace, the individual is much more responsible for a heightened profile. In short terms, it's up to the players to make themselves stars. NO one else has a real financial interest in doing it.

·
Registered
4,910 Posts

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
6,694 Posts
Car Key Boi said:
and so yuo thought yuo'd answer hendouble by starting a seperate thread instead of taking issue with him in the original thread?

YUO, are a ****

that is all
It depends what the other thread was about (I don't know, because I didn't read it. Excuse me if I don't read them all. Like tennis players I have other things to do, like...er...). If this is a separate issue, there's nothing wrong with starting a separate thread to discuss it.

Anyway, isn't the whole point of this 'Get in touch with your feminine side' thing that the players are involved in it?

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I don't think I've ever had an entire thread started about something I said before. Still, I think you're wrong anyway. The TV networks have a responsibility to start showing more non-American players - at the moment there is a vicious circle in which the lack of coverage leads to less interest in foreign players, thus giving the networks the excuse to have less coverage because these players aren't popular. And the ATP and WTA should be doing exactly the same thing in terms of marketing and publicity.

·
Registered
25,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hendouble said:
.The TV networks have a responsibility to start showing more non-American players.
The TV networks only responsibilty is to their shareholders. They are private companies that exist to make money. It is NOT their 'responsibility to start showing more non-American players', UNLESS showing those players makes them more money.

Th only people with the responsibility for marketinf those players are the players, their agents, and to a lesser extent their national associations. The TV networks are no more obligated to show non-American tennis players than the fire department.

And I actually started a new thread just to get away from the arguements in the other thread. You have to admit that thread was getting lengthy.

·
Registered
22,449 Posts
Hendouble said:
I don't think I've ever had an entire thread started about something I said before.
:clears throat:

Do blacks have a natural advantage in sports? (MTF). :devil:

·
Registered
22,449 Posts
Volcana said:
Th only people with the responsibility for marketinf those players are the players, their agents, and to a lesser extent their national associations. The TV networks are no more obligated to show non-American tennis players than the fire department.
I don't know, Volcana, if a publicity campaign by a single player can project his status in the media without a greater marketing entity behind him.

I'm thinking of David Beckham, who came on a marketing campaign to the States back in June. His goal was to become "bigger in the States". Although he made the rounds of parties/fundraisers, he bombed at bringing more attention to himself. In fact, his efforts were pretty much scoffed at.

I think only by serendipity that some people know his name in the US, through the hit indie film, "Bend It Like Beckham".

·
Registered
25,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tennis Fool said:
he bombed at bringing more attention to himself. In fact, his efforts were pretty much scoffed at.
Quite the contrary, he was highly successful. He certainly did not 'bomb'. Before his efforts to rasie his profile, virtually none of my sporting friends knew who he was. To us, 'football' is a sport played with pads and helmets. Now, his name is mentioned on virtually every radio sports program in New York at one time or another, and certainly people know what sport he's associated with. And the fct that his physical was televised raised eyebrows in New York, cause the media people here know that means this is a guy with big-time pull with the fans.

And of course, Manchester United just sold out all but one stadium for it's recent American tour, and they drew over 60,000 at the stop they DIDN'T sell out. They weren't playing American teams either.

Beckham picked the perfect time to come over here on a publicity tour. He's on magazine covers at newsstands here now.

I don't know who was scoffing at his efforts, but if you live in New York, and you're into sports in general, then you have to conclude that his efforts were highly successful.

·
Banned
947 Posts
i agree that the wta as assn is terribly disorganized. try calling their headquarters if you don't believe me.

the marketing agencies? who are they? i'm only aware of the agencies that represent the players and they're only concerned about their clients' interests and not so much about promoting the game (unless their client is involved).

the tv networks show the matches but i never get the feeling that they do it as a passionately as they do other sports.

the players definitely do their part, on and off the court.

tennis is about as popular as it ever will be. perhaps it's the country club stigma. or perhaps it's not as appealing to the masses because it's an individual sport and most people prefer team efforts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts