Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
17,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Angie has one of the most fascinating career trajectories. Before 2016, I don't think most people pegged her for a multi-slam champ who snatches countless weeks at number 1. But yet, here we are. There really is no one who's done what she's done.

Do you think there are any players out there now who might potentially follow in those footsteps. Someone who is a solid top-tenner and can trouble top players and even beat them, make dangerous runs at slams but has yet to make a dazzling appearance in a final. Who might surprise us?

·
Registered
545 Posts
I would have said Kenin but she snatched the last slam. Halep also has a kinda like Kerber-career.

Maybe Sabalenka or Rybakina.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
There's no perfect comparison.

I don't think there are many capable of winning 3 slams, or had been in the position Angie was in before winning her first slam.

The best comparisons would probably be Pliskova, Svitolina and Sabalenka. Again, not perfect; Elina and Karolina have both been ranked higher than Angie had before winning her first slam, and Pliskova has reached a slam final AND #1, while Svitolina has won the YEC.

Still, I think those three are the most appropriate comparisons.

·
Moderator - Juniors
13,414 Posts
Very few who would fit this trajectory - Pliskova would be a late in her career winner yes, but she’s been deep in slams several times and even gone into them as a top contender which I don’t think Kerber ever was before she won her first.

Closest comparison I could see would be someone like Kiki Bertens - solid top 10 player who’s been around for quite a while slowly working her way up with a couple of decent slam runs but nothing significant to say she’s a slam champ in the making. Still, if she were to win one out of the blue in the next two years her slam record would be fairly similar to Kerber’s (a little weaker).

·
Registered
19,521 Posts
There's no perfect comparison.

I don't think there are many capable of winning 3 slams, or had been in the position Angie was in before winning her first slam.

The best comparisons would probably be Pliskova, Svitolina and Sabalenka. Again, not perfect; Elina and Karolina have both been ranked higher than Angie had before winning her first slam, and Pliskova has reached a slam final AND #1, while Svitolina has won the YEC.

Still, I think those three are the most appropriate comparisons.
It's definitely difficult to tell. Winning a slam is a combination of form, draw, surface prowess, skill and luck.
I definitely didn't expect Kerber to have the career she had.

Previously, I thought of her very much like Dementieva, having some opportunities but just running short.
Such breakthroughs are not easy. Even Vika in some ways had a Kerber-esque career prior to 2012 before her ascension to no.1 and the two slam wins, two finals.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I think many players could, if they would be lucky enough to take some lessons and confidence boost from Steffi Graf first

Pliskova ans Svitolina come to my mind, Keys and Konta as well

·
Registered
31,009 Posts
Kerber was involved in some of the best WTA matches before her breakthrough at the Slams. She wasn't considered a potential HOF player but she could play.

There's no player that I can see snatching two Slams and making the finals of another one, the WTA Finals and the Olympics during a single season. Flopping against Puig and Cibulkova will always be tragic, though.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Potentially Bertens would be most similar to her performance pre-2016. Top 10 for a while, no deep runs at slams, potential to do better. Hard to imagine Bertens being able to win 3 slams tho. But so did Kerber. And Bertens did win big tournaments in clay and hard already which Angie didn’t do before she got the first 2 slams.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Pliskova, Svitolina and Bertens probably - the trifecta of top 10 players who have demonstrated the ability to beat top opponents in other tournaments, yet underperform in slams. If they improve their mentality I can see them having an Angie-like career. Sabalenka I think is still young enough that if she starts doing well now she wouldn't be a late bloomer per se.

·
Registered
834 Posts
i love how kerber puzzled all of us ❤

·
Registered
7,162 Posts
Would love is Keys magically did this.

Kenin could be one to follow this path.

Would be funny if Konta did this!

·
Registered
14,792 Posts
Are there any players with unusual athletic abilities and intuitive ball striking skills?

Maybe just Svitolina, but she would really have to up her aggression as Kerber did.

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
I never thought that Kerber could even get to a grand slam final before she won the 2016 AO, and I have always been a huge fan of her game.

Kiki Bertens could probably be another stellar late bloomer, but she is going to have to improve her mentality and her desire to compete on big stages. Angie did not like being the center of attention, but she always loved the battle on the court.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Surprised no one has said Bencic. If she figures out a way to put all the puzzle pieces together, I could see her having a pretty good second half of her career.

I just realized Bencic is still really young, just turning 33. However, she is in her 7th year on tour. Kerber won her first slam in her 10th year on tour. That would give Bencic about three years to pull one out, which I think is doable especially during this transitional times.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Surprised no one has said Bencic. If she figures out a way to put all the puzzle pieces together, I could see her having a pretty good second half of her career.

I just realized Bencic is still really young, just turning 33. However, she is in her 7th year on tour. Kerber won her first slam in her 10th year on tour. That would give Bencic about three years to pull one out, which I think is doable especially during this transitional times.
23 😁

1 - 20 of 58 Posts