Tennis Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which player at the US Open were you the most proud of and why?

Justine Henin-Hardenne- While I have never been a big fan of Justine's, she showed courage in her matches against Clijsters and Capriati. For that reason alone, I think all the talk of an asterik by the winner's name because the Williams sisters were not present is ridiculous. Justine deserved that title because she played brilliantly to get it.

Lindsey Davenport- Davenport played through obvious pain to reach the semifinals. For her to be able to advance that far shows Lindsey's courage and commitment to the sport. From what I understand, Lindsey is having surgery on her foot and will be out the rest of the year. I wish her a speedy recovery.

Jennifer Capriati- I was proud of Jennifer for many reasons. First, she was playing well for the first time in a while. She won New Haven and came into the US Open with a fierceness I had not seen since January 2002. Second, she fought like a lioness to put JHH, but in the end, JHH came up with the shots she needed to pull out a win. Still, Jennifer never gave up on herself. Third, Jen admitted that she gave the match away. That is the first time she has done so. By admitting that she has a problem, Jennifer can now deal with it. I am proud of Jennifer. No matter what she always fights to the end.

Martina Navratilova- At 46, Martina can still outplay most people on the tennis court. She is in her third grand slam doubles final this year. She shows that commitment and love for the sport transcends age and that is a great lesson for all young players.

Kim Clijsters- Kim has received great criticism for being a paper no. 1 and from her play on yesterday's final, it is obvious that she still has issues to deal with regarding big matches. Yet, she has played well enough to win the no. 1 ranking, won six titles this year (including two tier 1's) and reached two grand slam finals. Kim was no. 1 in singles and doubles this year and is the fifth player in the Open era to hold such rankings. In addition, Kim has won two grand slam doubles titles (Wimbledon and the French Open) and three other doubles titles this year. She is the only player to have 73 matches wins this year and has reached the semifinals or better in 14 of 15 tournaments played. That kind of consistency deserves some respect. Hopefully, Kim can learn from her experiences in big matches and find a way to get past it.

Players at the Open I was disappointed in:

The Russians- while Myskina made the quarterfinals and Dementieva made the fourth round, Sharapova, Krasnourkaya, Zvonareva and Bovina's early round losses shows that while the Russians possess the talent, they still need to learn the mental consistency to reach the top ranks of tennis.

Daniela Hantuchova- Her thinness and emotional outbursts during matches point to a player who desperately needs help. I hope she takes time away from the game to get it. She is too talented to waste her career this way.

Chanda Rubin- While Rubin always needs a few tournaments to get back into form after a long injury timeout, this loss was especially disappointing since Chanda had a good chance to go deep.

Jelena Dokic- Another player who needs time away from the court in order to get her life together.

Eleni Daniidilou- Recent slump shows that she needs to get her game together.

·
Senior Member,
1,825 Posts
I'm very proud of Mary Pierce, as for the second successive Slam she reached the last 16 despite being unseeded. Particularly impressive was her fightback from 1-5 down in the third set against Jelena Dokic, a fantastic, gutsy win that bodes well for the next few months.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Declan said:
I'm very proud of Mary Pierce, as for the second successive Slam she reached the last 16 despite being unseeded. Particularly impressive was her fightback from 1-5 down in the third set against Jelena Dokic, a fantastic, gutsy win that bodes well for the next few months.
I forgot about Mary, but you're right. It was good to see her in the fourth round of the US Open. I hope that she has a good indoor season.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.