Tennis Forum banner

301 - 302 of 302 Posts

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Ummm...this is a phrase you say when someone says something offensive. You're using It out of context.
It's a phrase that applies to a lot of different situations when someone say something that it would have been better to not say. If some people use it more when someone says something offensive, doesn't change the fact that it still applies in a lot of other situations.

You may not think that I'm on your level of genius, but I do have a degree in politics and have studied Belarus in quite some detail.
I didn't mean to call you dumb or anything like that, and I don't consider myself that smart. Unlike a lot of clowns in this forum, I find you a really decent poster. It just happeend that I strongly disagree with what you said. It happens, no animosity.

Either way, my point was not that much about specific politics or Belarus in itself. It is that I find the logic of your comment really weird. You said that you don't blame someone who benefits from a regime to support this regime. And not only about Azarenka or Belarus, but in general, I disagree with that, authoritarian regimes (or bad regimes in general) only survive because some people choose to support them for their own benefit. If the person actually believes in the regime, it is one thing, but supporting it for selfish reasons is something that I do have a problem with.

She is a Belarusian citizen and likely has lots of family there. You don't understand how dictatorships work if you think that she isn't at risk, or that her actions abroad can't affect her family and friends inside Belarus.
I understand her not criticizing the government, I'm not demanding her to be a martyr or anything. It's just that again, sometimes it's better to not say anything. Sasnovich as far as I know didn't say anything. I can see a risk in her supporting the protests, but at her staying silent seems a bit weird to me, I don't think there's a lot of risk in her being silent. And I don't even have any kind of moral problem with what she said, I just think it wasn't very smart.

Please don't be ridiculous.
Sometimes exaggerated examples are useful to understand the core of a dilemma.

You are sounding rude.
I'm sorry about that, it's just that I strongly disagreed with what you said, and I'm overall too direct. I have nothing against you (unlike some clowns in this forum, that I do have a lot of problems with), on the contrary, I actually find you nice. It's just that, again, I disagree with what you said.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
She is a Belarusian citizen and likely has lots of family there. You don't understand how dictatorships work if you think that she isn't at risk, or that her actions abroad can't affect her family and friends inside Belarus.

On a personal level, if I talked with her privately, and she defended the Lukashenka regime and its actions, I would be extremely disappointed in her. But what she says publicly is a different story and I reserve my judgement.

This is such a half-ass argument. Azarenka has been rich & world-famous for a decade. I can understand (sort of) that she said nothing as a 21-year-old during the '010 Belarus crackdown, but ever since she won the GS titles & gold medal, nobody in Belarus can fuck with her, she's an icon. Vika has had every opportunity to speak up in whatever manner she chooses, or at least to not kiss the ass of the dictatorship. She moved to the US to live a comfortable life and park her money and she obviously didn't care enough about people in her home country to say anything all these years. I mean, Vika is nowhere near as shallow & selfish as Sharapova, but nor is she commendable in any way.

301 - 302 of 302 Posts