Tennis Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pierce withdraws from Carson Mary Pierce, currently ranked No. 11 on the Sony Ericsson WTA tour, has withdrawn from the JPMorgan Chase Open due to a right thigh strain she suffered yesterday in practice.

“I was hitting serves when I felt it,” Pierce said. “I saw the trainers and it was feeling better, but the pain came back. I’ve tried to do some movement, but it hurts. I’m really disappointed, because I’m playing very well right now. I think this tournament has a great draw and I was looking forward to it. I am going to go home and have treatment. I’ll take a few days and hopefully play Toronto. If not, I’ll get ready for the U.S. Open.”

Pierce captured the 2003 JPMorgan Chase Open doubles title and won her 17th career singles title in San Diego this past weekend. She will be replaced by lucky loser Saori Obata (Japan).

“I want to thank Mary for coming out here after her participation in San Diego on Sunday,” Tournament Director, Bill Peterson said. “It was unfortunate that she was injured while practicing for the tournament. I want to wish her good luck and a speedy recovery. We still have a very strong field and look forward to an exciting week of tennis, with the possibility of seeing a new world number one crowned for the second time in three years at this tournament. ”

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
:sad:

At least it's not serious. It's a shame it's derailed Mary's run of good form though. Hopefully she'll be 100% for Toronto and US Open because she is a serious contender. Who'd have thought we'd be saying that at the start of the year? :worship:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts