Tennis Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I've just posted a new web site of pictures taken at the Acura
Tournament last weekend (July 26-27). The pics are of players
in qualifying matches, or main draw players in practice sessions.
In all there are 57 pictures and 4 quicktime animations (w/ sound).

The players pictured are: Justine Henin-Hardenne, Elena
Dementieva, Silvia Farina Elia, Shinobu Asagoe, Angelique
Widjaja, Nicole Pratt, Sarah Taylor, Julia Vakulenko, Alina
Jidkova, and Lindsay Nelson.

There are also a few pictures of the La Costa facility and some
comments made about the matches.

The URL is http://www.mfwweb.com/tennis/SD03

Please let me know if you find any factual errors, typos, etc.,
via this forum or the email link at the bottom of the main
page of the site. Thanks, mfw

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Thank you so much! Great pics and nice videos!
I love the Justine-pictures!

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your Welcome

Since you are a fan of Justine, you may be interested to know that the four pictures of her I used in the banner at the top of the page are actually a time sequence of her backhand (the best, woman's, one handed backhand in the world). Each image occurs 1/15th of a second after the image to its left. Thus the whole sequence takes place in 3/15th, or 1/5 of a second. Justine swings with more racket head speed than any other women I've seen with a one-handed backhand.

·
Plainclothes Division
6,350 Posts
Great pics! I like that we get to see some of the players that we'd never seen before, and put a face to the name. It was on your site last year where we first got to see Angela Haynes.

There used to be an old sportscaster named Lindsey Nelson, who did football games (and Mets games, I think). He was to jackets what Bud Collins is to pants. Glad to see tennis' LN dresses much better.

·
Registered
11,084 Posts
Great pix!! Thank you!! Especially with Justine

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Wow, I'm stunned - those pictures are fantastic! :worship:

·
Registered
13,640 Posts
Great :d

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Thanks, those are great pictures!

·
Registered
14,431 Posts
Thank you :) just great

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
About Lindsay N and Angela H

Brian Stewart said:
Great pics! I like that we get to see some of the players that we'd never seen before, and put a face to the name. It was on your site last year where we first got to see Angela Haynes.

There used to be an old sportscaster named Lindsey Nelson, who did football games (and Mets games, I think). He was to jackets what Bud Collins is to pants. Glad to see tennis' LN dresses much better.
Lindsay Nelson is one confounding player to analyze. Even from the 6 pics I posted, you can see it. If you look at the first pic of her in the ready position you would say, 'O.K., she's left-handed'. Then you look at the last 2 pics which show her serving righty. Pic 3 shows her hitting what would normally be considered a LEFTY, 2-handed backhand, and Pic 2 shows her hitting a 2-handed RIGHTY backhand. And forget about Pic 4 - it's either a choked-up RIGHTY forehand (ala Koulikovskaya), or the follow-thru on a LEFTY 2-handed backhand where she has let go with her left hand!

Concerning Angela Haynes - she's changed her look dramatically since I shot her one year ago. Back then she looked like an intimidated teenager playing with the pros (http://www.mfwweb.com/tennis/SD02/#Angela_Haynes). Saw her practicing with her dad last weekend. She's put on some weight, all in the form of muscle and is wearing her hair in corn rows (correct term?). She's sporting a ghetto look for the southern Cal tourneys. I liked the old look better. Look forward to seeing her in L.A. next week.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Thanks a lot. I've loved them before and am always imressed, so I know going through these will be great. If they're not your usual high quality, I'll come back and complain.

·
Gone but Never Forgotten
9,486 Posts
Thanks so much for the photos, Shooter! (Though I beg to differ about the "best backhand in the world" ;))
And :lol: @ Brian about the "old" Lindsey Nelson - yes, he was the voice of the N.Y. Mets :D

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Linnie said:
Thanks so much for the photos, Shooter! (Though I beg to differ about the "best backhand in the world" ;))

Justine has the best one-handed backhand I've seen, which is not the same thing as saying it's the best backhand in the world.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts