Tennis Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which matches do you think have a lot of potential

Here's 3 from me...

Mary Pierce (France) v 28-Clarisa Fernandez (Argentina)
Had to pick it. Of course Mary has not been anywhere near her best for a long time now. It will be interesting to see if she can raise her level against Clarisa who is at her best on clay (and it seems in Paris). For me it would be sad to see Mary lose in the first so I am keeping everything crossed.

11-Anastasia Myskina (Russia) v Dinara Safina (Russia)
Not sure why I picked this because as I remember Ana beat Dinara quite comfortably earlier in the year at Qatar (or Dubai?) but I wanted to include a match with one of the youngsters in and Dinara seems to be a tough cookie. Hope its on TV but I would be surprised if it makes a show court.

Nadia Petrova (Russia) v 12-Monica Seles (U.S.)
:eek: Monica will be tested from the word go and I can't see Nadia being intimidated after Rome. If Monica makes it through this match then surely it bodes well re her injury.

Any more?

p.s. one second round I will looking out for is Jen Cap vs. M Bartoli

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
kuznetsova vs. shaughnessy and likhovtseva vs. loit could both be tough.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just looking through the other thread and it got me thinking about Amelie and her frailty at the French.

Amelie vs Virginie

Virginie had a good run at RG a couple of years ago, I am sure that playing another French girl in the 1st round will not please Amelie.

Could be one to watch, although if Amelie loses it will be down to her poor play cos if she is in form Virginie has no chance. Amelie out of form = very ugly tennis.

I expect it to be on a show court too.

·
Banned
1,830 Posts
Monica v/s Petrova :eek:

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Iconoclast said:
Dementieva-Sanchez Lorenzo

and

Maleeva-Molik

might be moderately interesting too.
oooo I missed the Dementieva one - I always like watching the double double handers and I have not seen Sanchez-Lorenzo play in ages, I hope it gets a show court (would not bet on it though)

·
Premium Member
21,309 Posts
The Clarisa-Mary match jumped out at me when I saw it...hard to believe we have last years SF and QF squaring off in round 1 :eek:

Monica-Nadia also is VERY tough. Never write Monica off, but after Rome you gotta wonder whether playing her was a mistake...she might've been better off skipping it alotgether an resting her foot.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
dementieva will kill sanchez lorenzo... and don't worry mary will have no problem with clarisa!!
ne who i think that the first trial for elena will be zvonareva! ahhh that'lll suck but i think that if she gets past her then elena will also take out venus and give clijsters a run for her money then beat justine once more (AI semi's) and will take Roland Garros!

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
Petra Mandula v Marta Marrero could be interesting too. Both former quarterfinalists, but not playing their best tennis right now.

Casanova v Black - Myriam is a talented youngster with lots of potential, but Black has been playing well lately.

Golovin v Bovina - Bovinas been playing really bad lately, it'll be interesting to see how far Golovins game has improved and whether she'll be able to take advantage and beat a top player, or if Bovina will improve.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Coetzer vs Srebotnik.

Coetzer is the seeded, former semifnalist, but she is 0-2 vs Srebotnik head to head. here's hoping that this will NOT be the first upset of the tournament (and end my interest).

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Well I noticed that most of the matches everyone has listed don't involve Americans soooo if you live in North America you won't get to see them anyway. :fiery: Thanks alot ESPN!!

·
Registered
32,932 Posts
Nastya vs Dinara...:mad: :fiery: :(

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Scorch said:
Which matches do you think have a lot of potential

Here's 3 from me...

Mary Pierce (France) v 28-Clarisa Fernandez (Argentina)
Had to pick it. Of course Mary has not been anywhere near her best for a long time now. It will be interesting to see if she can raise her level against Clarisa who is at her best on clay (and it seems in Paris). For me it would be sad to see Mary lose in the first so I am keeping everything crossed.

Everything crossed? What else besides your fingers? Is there something that maybe we should know? ;) :wavey:

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
25,925 Posts
Maleeva vs. Molik

Petrova vs. Seles

Myskina vs. Safina

·
Registered
591 Posts
petrova vs seles:
2 things help monica in this situation

1) hopefully her foot will be well rested going into this match (which it would be less likely to be if she played petrova later on in the tournament)
2) although rome is a huge tournament, petrova might feel the pressure at a slam, especially if this match is played on centre court...

GOOD LUCK MONICA (although I feel that perfect record in GS 1st rounds is gonna end here)

·
Registered
34,273 Posts
Well maybe there are not huge names in here nut I really want to see

Sugiyama vs Ruano

Two great doubles players with nice results in their careers though not great

I have the feeling they will face in doubles too;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts