Tennis Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading an old WorldTennis mag from 1973, with an article on the Max-Pax Championships Virginia Slims stop in Philadelphia, which was won by Margaret Court at the Palestra at the University of Pennsylvania. The article makes mention that the ladies first stopped in Philadelphia 4 years earlier. I was wondering, does anyone have a listing of past tournament finals in Philadelphia back to 1969?

Rollo? TennisVideos? Jem?

Good Morning All!

·
Senior Member,
1,825 Posts
alfajeffster said:
I was reading an old WorldTennis mag from 1973, with an article on the Max-Pax Championships Virginia Slims stop in Philadelphia, which was won by Margaret Court at the Palestra at the University of Pennsylvania. The article makes mention that the ladies first stopped in Philadelphia 4 years earlier. I was wondering, does anyone have a listing of past tournament finals in Philadelphia back to 1969?

Rollo? TennisVideos? Jem?

Good Morning All!
1973: Margaret Court d. Kerry Harris 6-1 6-0 at the Max-Pax Coffee Classic, part of the Virginia Slims circuit.

1972: No Virginia Slims tournament at Philadelphia this year, but I found results from the Pennsylvanian Championships at the Merion Club in Philadelphia in August as part of the US summer Circuit: Virginia Wade d. Laurie Fleming 6-4 6-1 in the final.

1971:The first year of Virginia Slims, the women joined forces at the Spectrum Stadium in Philadelphia with the men and their WCT tour. Rosie Casals beat Francoise Durr 6-2 3-6 6-2 in the Women's Final, after Frankie had ended Mrs King's 28 match-winning streak in the semis with an apparently spectacular 6-2 5-7 7-6 match.

1970: A mixed 'International Tennis Players' Association Open Indoor Tournament' was held in Philadelphia in February, and was won by Margaret Court over Billie Jean King 6-3 7-6.

1969: Another tournament named the Pennsylvania Championships at the Merion Club in August was won by Margaret Court over Virginia Wade 6-4 6-4.

I don't know if this is relevant but it gave me an excuse to hunt through my old tennis books again, so thank you!!

·
Registered
9,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Declan said:
1973: Margaret Court d. Kerry Harris 6-1 6-0 at the Max-Pax Coffee Classic, part of the Virginia Slims circuit.

1972: No Virginia Slims tournament at Philadelphia this year, but I found results from the Pennsylvanian Championships at the Merion Club in Philadelphia in August as part of the US summer Circuit: Virginia Wade d. Laurie Fleming 6-4 6-1 in the final.

1971:The first year of Virginia Slims, the women joined forces at the Spectrum Stadium in Philadelphia with the men and their WCT tour. Rosie Casals beat Francoise Durr 6-2 3-6 6-2 in the Women's Final, after Frankie had ended Mrs King's 28 match-winning streak in the semis with an apparently spectacular 6-2 5-7 7-6 match.

1970: A mixed 'International Tennis Players' Association Open Indoor Tournament' was held in Philadelphia in February, and was won by Margaret Court over Billie Jean King 6-3 7-6.

1969: Another tournament named the Pennsylvania Championships at the Merion Club in August was won by Margaret Court over Virginia Wade 6-4 6-4.

I don't know if this is relevant but it gave me an excuse to hunt through my old tennis books again, so thank you!!
VERY helpful- I live very close to the Merion Cricket Club, and will do some digging there before the close of the season- thanks!

·
Registered
174 Posts
I can give some further results.

1974: Olga Morozova def Billie Jean King: 7-6 6-1.

1975: Virginia Wade def Chris Evert: 7-5 6-4.

1976: Evonne Goolagong def Chris Evert: 6-3 7-6.

1977: Chris Evert def Martina Navratilova: 6-4 4-6 6-3.

1978: Chris Evert def Billie Jean King: 6-0 6-4.

1979: Wendy Turnbull def Virginia Wade: 5-7 6-3 6-2.

I will check out the results of the final for the later years, but after 1979 it left Philadelphia for awhile. It came back in the mid-late 90's, for a year or two more, and then moved out of Philadelphia to Villanova (which is a suberb), and became the Advanta Championships.

·
R.I.P. Thank you!
25,735 Posts
Thank you Josus57!

This thread brings back memories such as:

Philly was a popular stop on the tour for many years due to a couple named the Fernberger's (spelling?). The female's name was Marion or Marilyn I think.
This couple ruled Philly tennis for much of the 60s and 70s.

The 1974 final proves to me that Morozova's Wimbledon win over King later that year was no fluke. Olga was doubtless remembering the Philly final when she knocked off Billie Jena in Wimby quarters.

Wade's 1975 win was part of a 3 event run-the best month or so of her career when she beat everyone on tour. I recall she was considered a threat to win the Slims Chmapionships that year and had a fluke injury (a fall down some stairs?) that may have put off her play.

The 1979 Avon event flopped because of the weak field. "Weak" in 1979 meant no Austin, Evert, or Martina. About 25,000 showed and Philly got axed.

·
R.I.P. Thank you!
25,735 Posts
I should thank Alfajeffster for inviting me up to see the Philly event for a couple of years. He's a load of fun and I'll always remember talking briefly to Billie Jean King.

On a sadder note in 2004 I saw what was Jennifer Capriati's last match of the year-maybe of her career.

It was the qf and Jennifer was still trying to qualify for the YEC.

Game after game went by, with Capriati's forehand missing by miles.
There was no fire in her at all that day, not even a curse word from the Capster. Was Jen tanking? Even odder, was there was shouting and screaming from her dad Stefano. I knew from experience how vocal Stefano could be from sitting behind him and Harold Solomon one year. Jen Jen just looked over at her Dad on one changeover and gave a sad nod that said "no", as she grabbed at her shoulder. Tha tmad eme relaize it was no tank job-Jen was hurt before the match and just going through the motions hoping to beat Vera on reputation alone.

Zvonereva won by some ridiculous score (6-1 6-0 or 6-0 6-1) and that was all she wrote.

Fours years later and Capriati still hasn't stepped back on court:sad:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Just an FYI Rollo and others. Tracy Austin did play the Avon of Philadelphia tourament in 1979. But she lost in the first round to (local favorite) Kathy Jordan: 6-3 6-2.

On another note, about the semi-finals: Both Wendy Turnbull and Virginia Wade had to come back from a set down (and a bad first set at that) to advance to the finals (Which incedently was played at the Spectrum, and not at the Palestra). Wendy won over Rosie Casals: 0-6 6-2 6-3, while Virginia defeated Sue Barker: 1-6 7-5 6-3. I was there for those matches, as well as the first round encounter between Austin and Jordan. If truth be told - I was there for the entire week

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.