Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By Simon Cambers

PARIS (Reuters) - Russian Nadia Petrova fears she may be forced to miss Wimbledon for the second successive year after a back injury contributed to her first-round defeat at the French Open on Tuesday.

The 11th seed was clearly struggling with her movement and slumped to a 7-5 5-7 6-0 defeat to Czech Kveta Peschke, her second consecutive first-round defeat in Paris.

Petrova will have an MRI scan to discover the extent of the problem and said she was doubtful for Wimbledon, having missed out last year because of a hip injury.

"I am trying to stay positive in my head, but I really don't know if I will be okay," she told reporters.

"I just really hope that in the end it's not that serious. I don't want to miss the grasscourt season again."

Petrova said she may have done more damage by playing on.

"I took a pain-killer beforehand, so it's possible that I could have made it worse," she added.

"It never crossed my mind not to play, because my physio was very positive, but as soon as I started playing, it was really bad. I think I was not very wise to play on."

Petrova was forced to withdraw during the Italian Open earlier this month because of a lower back injury, but the 24-year-old believed the two injuries were not quite the same.

"They may be linked, but the pain is very different," she said. "I have not really had anything like this before. It is a very nasty feeling."

With Petrova's movement so restricted, it was surprising that she won the second set, although Peschke, who was playing her first Tour-level match of the year, clearly tensed up with the finishing line in sight.

However, once she fell behind in the third set, Petrova never looked like coming back into the match and world number 182 Peschke cruised through to the second round.

"Basically all she had to do was put the ball to the sides and that was it," Petrova said.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/UK_TENNIS/idUKL2963370920070529?pageNumber=1

·
Registered
115,330 Posts
Nadia missed the grass season last year

·
Registered
20,122 Posts
Wow.

"Basically all she had to do was put the ball to the sides and that was it," Petrova said.

I can see people having a field day with this quote.. :eek:

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
Wow.

I can see people having a field day with this quote.. :eek:
I believe she was referring to the third set. Nadia did absolutely nothing in the third, so it's true.

·
Registered
18,941 Posts
:sad:

·
Registered
20,122 Posts
I believe she was referring to the third set. Nadia did absolutely nothing in the third, so it's true.
Well, I'm sure we'll get a multitude of posts about her being a sore loser and not giving credit blah blah blah. All from that one quote. :eek:

·
Registered
115,330 Posts
Back problems could end a career

·
Premium Member
182,035 Posts
Nadia.......... :( :(
twice in successive years :eek: :(

·
Registered
23,560 Posts
Comeback when you are totally ready Nadia

·
Registered
334 Posts
Well, I'm sure we'll get a multitude of posts about her being a sore loser and not giving credit blah blah blah. All from that one quote. :eek:
Who's a wee sensitive then! I bet you have to steel yourself everytime she's interviewed! Only kidding. It is sad that she seems to be forever injured. But surely someone in her camp must be asking why and trying to do something about it. I'm trying to remember when I've seen her without a strapping or bandage.

The girl gets on my wick, but I do feel for her, and it is to her credit that she keeps on trying despite seeing her peers always outshining her. Some would get very disheartened. I'll probably miss slagging her off when she retires! But unlike others who don't quite make it - e.g. Dementieva - she just seems a bit thick.

·
Banned
14,999 Posts
i was about to :hug: her but her last comment was just :eek:

·
Registered
20,122 Posts
The girl gets on my wick, but I do feel for her, and it is to her credit that she keeps on trying despite seeing her peers always outshining her. Some would get very disheartened. I'll probably miss slagging her off when she retires! But unlike others who don't quite make it - e.g. Dementieva - she just seems a bit thick.
Thick as in? :confused:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts