Tennis Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
9,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know- not WTA, but he's an icon and inspiration for anyone who plays:

Monday Night at Arthur Ashe Stadium there will be an official send-off for Pete Sampras, who officially announced his retirement yesterday. I'm sure it'll be a once-in-a-lifetime event. Speaking of Sampras, what does the WTA or tennis the training academies around the world have to do to produce the kind of all-court tennis that Pete Sampras displayed throughout his career? Sure, there are a handfull of girls who come to the net on the rare occasion, but no one who uses the all-court game all the time... :confused:

· Banned
3,170 Posts
At least he left on top. I think his move was smart and calculating. Pete knew he lost a step. Yet his experience, talent and mental abilities still beat the best. I applaud him.

· Registered
937 Posts
I think he should have announced it long time ago, but it will be nice for him to get a cermony at the US'Open.

Concerning the WTA, I will never understand why some players who can volley and who have no chance against the top players from the baseline remain stuck at the bottom of the court the whole match (are you listening, Vivi/Sugiyama/Srebotnik???)

· Registered
13,496 Posts
:sad::sad::sad:
good luck Pete in your private life.
You were the best

· Registered
9,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I for one am looking forward to his involvement with the Tennis Channel. He apparently has invested a bit of money in it, and will be doing some commentary and specials- what a treasure trove of experience and knowledge to pull from, and he's a dry, sarcastic kinda guy (never showed this side much) off court, so it should be fun. I'd like to see him do commentary on a women's match at the open some time...

· Registered
8,951 Posts
I wish he hadn't jerked us around w/the maybe maybe not crap. But if he's happy, kewl.

· Registered
16,124 Posts
All the best, Pete

Very wise decision.

· Registered
15,727 Posts
*thinking of monica's extended break*

no... please don't let it happen...

· Premium Member
2,079 Posts
Oh no! Now with Pete's ceremony on Monday, when will they do the requisite Chang farewell ceremony that has happened at EVERY tournament he has played at this year ;) We all know Mike won't be there beyond Monday or Tuesday. Damn you, Pete....stealing Mikey's thunder!!!

· Registered
882 Posts
Well that only took a year thank god ape man has gone.
Great champion but the guy did look like a an ape. I half think he was the missing link

· Registered
13,767 Posts
the end of a big big era in men's tennis :sad: :sad:

have a nice life pete you were the best :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.