Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
15,156 Posts
That was genius move. Simona won 3 games in row from 3-1 and had all momentum. She was so in the moment. Caro took all the sting out of it and let her think about the moment while she was recovering. You cant hate on her for that as she used the rules to her advantage. But had she lost that match it would have been embarrassing for her against a player that was hampered and played 2 of the longest matches in ao

·
Registered
747 Posts
I feel bad for Simona because so many things were clearly done unfairly in this match for her to lose, she really can't catch a break. The unfair MTO from Wozniacki, Adidas dropping her and forcing her to play with attire she's not used to (thus hindering her movement), and lastly, the rigging of the umpire, who intervened once and did so to disrupt her momentum, ultimately costing her the match.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
lucic-baroni did exactly the same thing last year against pliskova in the semifinal, when pliskova was up 4-3 in the final set with momentum on her side, lucic-baroni took a mto, and when on to win the next 3 games to win the match.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I think Simona will get another chance to win a Slam. I don't think she'll be another Safina who made 3 finals and then disappeared (although that was also due to injuries).

She shouldn't let these things disrupt her - Woz's MTO, Sharapova's bathroom breaks in the 2014 final, she has to blot them out. Maybe they didn't affect her?

Problem for Simona is she doesn't have a big serve. If she'd had Serena's serve she probably would've held at 4-3.

·
Registered
15,783 Posts
Both had questionable MTO's considering they both ran like rabbits the next few games. So they more or less cancelled each other out.
No they multiply and amplify each other's fraudulent nature.

Tennis's supposed to be a sport, not a shady numbers con game

Ever heard of sportsmanship? That too died today.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Better than Federer's in last year's final, that is fore sure ahah. Speaking of, I really thought Halep was going to win five games in a row from *1-3 in the decider.

So yes, it was a perfectly timed one.

·
Registered
8,692 Posts
Part of the game. Well done for both ladies. Its a tool to be used and they used it very well.

Reactions: postblue

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Because these players always serve out sets/matches with ease, right? Even without the MTO, is it really that hard to believe that Simona would have lost that game? She was struggling to hold all during that 3rd.

Halep lost this tournament when she failed to serve it out vs Davis 3 times. Had she managed her matches better throughout the two weeks she might have been fresher against Caro.

·
Registered
6,956 Posts
If the MTO resulted in that little strip of tape being put on her knee, that would be disappointing that Woz had to resort to that.

That knee was bad only for the season that came after she ran the New York Marathon, particularly at the end of the year when it was almost like an open wound but last year she was fine and it was never taped and not in any previous matches of this tournament.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Better than Federer's in last year's final, that is fore sure ahah. Speaking of, I really thought Halep was going to win five games in a row from *1-3 in the decider.

So yes, it was a perfectly timed one.

yep imho i think mto should be banned altogether, to ensure fair play. because players take advantage of it to halt their opponent's momentum when they're behind, and many times it works unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
As I watched this happen by both players,said out loud that MTO should only be allowed before or during YOUR Serve Not Your Opponents and the only exception should be an extreme example of an injury.Need to change this rule.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts