Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
8,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've been demoing racquets for the last month and i found that i liked head racquets the best but the store only had a couple of the head racquets that i am interested in so i was wondering if anyone of you guys could tell me about the racquets i didn't get to demo.

i guess the ones i'm most interested in are the i.radical and i.16 chipsystem. i was wondering about their control and power.

· Premium Member
10,632 Posts
i use babolat PC, but i have tried the i.radicial a few weeks ago. From what i recall the control was great, but power was compromised alot...have you tried the raquet reviews at www.tennis-warehouse.com ? that should give you a comprehensive review + customer feedback on most raquets

· Registered
7,116 Posts
I use a Babolat also but my coach uses i.radical and i tried it. If you are an advanced player, the i.radical should be good. it has a lot of control, low power tho.

the chip system is a monster. probably one of the most powerful things out there and your are prob gonna hit the back fence is you can provide some of your own power.

· Registered
8,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i can provide a lot of my own power but i have a lot of shoulder problems and elbow problems and forearm problems so i'm trying to go for the power racquets so i don't put as much pressure on my body.

· Registered
5,685 Posts
my very first racket was a Head and i am still a convert. i occasionally use a Head TiS2 but have imminent plans to upgrade...good luck!! ;)

· Registered
8,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i just went there. it's hard to tell from those reviews. i looked at most of the head racquets and in a lot of comments for one racquets one person says it has a lot of power while another says it has moderate power. i guess you really have to demo these racquets yourself to know which one is best for you. the shop i went to is getting new head racquets next month so i might just wait and see what they have and then go and demo again.

· Registered
8,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks to everyone who has replied to this post. :)

· Premium Member
10,632 Posts
if you want a good 'player's raquet' go for the Babolat PC team standard! i lurrrrrrv it :) it suits ppl who like to put oomph in their stroke by providing good control and comfort too

· Registered
8,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i tried the babolat pure drive and the pure control. i found it hard to serve with the PC and the stick just felt weird and uncomfortable in my hand so i had a bit of trouble using it. after a couple of hours it got a bit better but it's not the stick for me. i'm actually more accurate with the babolat pure power than most sticks i've used but i get a sore forearm when i use it otherwise i would stick with it. but i'm also looking at get my average stroke speed up a bit and it gives me to much pain with the PP so i'm going for a power racquet.

· Registered
1,055 Posts
Until recently, I was a Head player...

I've had the i.Radical OS. Nice stick, but a little too hard to play with control. By that, I mean spin and placement. it always went a little too long. The MP is a better "player's stick," but has less power.

The i.x16 is a beast. I hit with it just for shits and giggles, and could not keep the ball on the court. It is nothing but power.

Here's something to consider: Try a more control oriented racquet with less power, like the i.Prestige, the Babolat Pure Control+, or the Wilson ProStaff Rok. The more powerful a racquet is, the more prone to causing shoulder and wrist problems, because it's stiffer, and the shock and vibration is transferred to your arm. You have to swing out a little more, but less powerful bats absorb more of the shock.

..Joe

· Registered
6,094 Posts
joegerardi, since you seem to know a lot about racquets and stuff.
What are your favorite racquets of all time?

· Registered
1,055 Posts
Glenn said:
joegerardi, since you seem to know a lot about racquets and stuff.
What are your favorite racquets of all time?
Wilson ProStaff 6.0 85:
Far and away the greatest stick ever made. Had I not crippled my left knee and hindered my mobility, I'd still be using mine. I miss those beasties a LOT! Heavy, no power, small head, incredibly small sweetspot, but when you hit them properly, you can do ANYTHING with the ball! I strung my at 62 - 2 pounds over the max recommended, and used Kevlar strings to make it a little stiffer.

Head i.Prestige:
I played the Midplus XL, and switched to them right after the Prostaffs because they were lighter and more manuverable. Unfortunately, they weren't light and manuverable enough for my left leg.

Babolat Pure Drive:
My current stick. Easy to swing, mid-powered, but surprisingly great control. I know you're not supposed to be able to volley well with these, but I just won my last match playing server-and-volley with this. I never really considered it seriously, but I'm enjoying it more and more all the time.

Volkl Tour 8:
Great stick! A little lighter still, and fun to play with, my only issue was that it wasn't quite head-light enough for me.

Head Prestige Classic:
Head's answer to the Wilson ProStaff. Played almost the same, and was a cool red metalflake!

And from the Wayback machine:

Head Arthur Ashe Competition II:
My first bat. It had about a 70 sq. in. head, and weighed a ton, but a great stick to play with.

Head Vilas:
The first bat to have an open throat, though still made of wood. Beautifully balanced, great playing racquet.

As you can see, these are all player's sticks. I don't really ascribe to the notion of playing powerful racquets. Let your body generate the power, develop proper touch and technique, learn control, and a player's bat is the way to go because you'll be playing a winning game.

..Joe

· Registered
554 Posts
I am playing with a Head Prestige Mid-Plus after playing with Yonex RD Ti-50 for two years, and I am so happy with my new racket!

Pretige is just such a clean hit and it makes groundies really effortless - just get that extra bit of zip which I didn't have with the Yonex. This racket is great for power and control, a real baseliners racket.

· Registered
397 Posts
tennischick said:
my very first racket was a Head and i am still a convert. i occasionally use a Head TiS2 but have imminent plans to upgrade...good luck!! ;)
Surprise. Surprise.

My first wond was a wilson, my first "OMG, this is so perfect for me" racket was a Head (Graphite One). I'm still using Head (Ti.Radical). Tons of control, zero power...I hit the back fence none the less. ;)

· Registered
397 Posts
controlfreak said:
The good thing about Head racquets is that they don't break when you smash them into the ground. Well not yet, anyway, lol.
Speak for yourself. It still brings a tear to my eye when I think about my Graphite One, the best racket I've ever played with (sniff).

...by the time I got back to the store, there were all gone... (sniff)

· Registered
5,685 Posts
Nan Cu said:
Surprise. Surprise.

My first wond was a wilson, my first "OMG, this is so perfect for me" racket was a Head (Graphite One). I'm still using Head (Ti.Radical). Tons of control, zero power...I hit the back fence none the less. ;)
lol! :p i too still have my graphite as a memento of my persistence!

the TiS2 was advertised at the time as the perfect blend of power and control. it turned out to be definitely more powerful than the Hingis-inspired Yonex i was using at the time. i too occasionally hit the back fence -- but i do so with serious pop!!!

i can't wait to get a new racket. i buy a new one every two years or so. this year it's a toss-up between Head and Babolat. ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.