Tennis Forum banner
421 - 440 of 499 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Curious to see what the WTA would do next.
IOC deemed it a closed affair since she’s going to have dinner with Bach in January.
As expected, western governments won’t do shit. Just a bit of dramaticking for western audiences.
There’s definitely a section of the ATP exemplified by fedull that wants this closed.

by all measures, this seemed to have died down. WTA is the only party that can actually make a move to reignite this,yet have been silent for the last few days. Won’t be surprised if they ruffle a few more feathers and ultimately squash it down.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Curious to see what the WTA would do next.
IOC deemed it a closed affair since she’s going to have dinner with Bach in January.
As expected, western governments won’t do shit. Just a bit of dramaticking for western audiences.
There’s definitely a section of the ATP exemplified by fedull that wants this closed.

by all measures, this seemed to have died down. WTA is the only party that can actually make a move to reignite this,yet have been silent for the last few days. Won’t be surprised if they ruffle a few more feathers and ultimately squash it down.
And the sexual assault allegations which were made by her in some detail? IOC will do what?

·
Registered
580 Posts
And the sexual assault allegations which were made by her in some detail? IOC will do what?
IOC perhaps has always been a hopeless case. It’s an abhorrent organization.

people underestimate how much sway the WTA has. Tennis is the biggest women’s sports in the world. China has made big investments in women’s sports. WTA pulling out of China no doubt will be impactful and have repercussions that the CCP are loath to avoid.
In the wider tennis community, the ITF seems extremely shy. The ATP probably very reluctant to do anything. So far only Wimbledon said anything from the GS. So the WTA is more or less isolated.
At the end of the day, all we’ve seen so far are words, no actions.

it’s clear where China stands. The ball is in the WTA’s court and they seem hesitant to kick it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Lmao you need to get an actual job and stop reading nonsense from far-left authoritarian weirdos. The 80s were the best time in modern US-history for a reason and DeSantis will restore that glory after your boy Xiden is out. Btw, the democrap cabal deep state won't gift you money or anything for your "support".
Provocateur or just a stupid moron?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have been reading articles about the situation and this one particularly stands out for its lack of logic.

A Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich was about one person for good reason. It makes a horrible situation relatable.

It crystalizes the dynamics. It shows how anyone, including you, can be the person who ends up being victimized by unjust rule.

There is also the straw that breaks the camel’s back.

One individual is important. All groups are made up of individuals. Cease to value the individual and you cease to value the group. The entire thing of culture becomes a wicked farce.

People be desperate to concoct excuses for turning the wilfully-blind eye — to exchange people for dollar signs.

Sell one person down the river and you sell yourself. What is your humanity, your life, worth to you?

·
Registered
6,743 Posts
This situation (as others on other website have pointed out) is not dissimilar to the 5 employees of the banned book store in Hong Kong.
They all have come out and said they support the regime AFTER disappearing.

All have left the enclave of Hong Kong (it's no longer safe for dissidents) with some turning up I Beijing after prison and one being in Taiwan.

This pattern of behaviour exhibited by Shuai is not reassuring, if anything it's just an affirmation of China's insidious government.

If any Chinese posters want to use whataboutism calling upon racist societies in the west I have receipts for how the Chinese are treating Africans at the moment too, how they systematically are eradicating Uighurs or how less than 100 years ago the government killed millions.... but I am not that petty.

·
Rise up from ignorance
20,866 Posts
China rolls along. Some photographer for Dior and JPMorgan boss have apologized for allegedly racist & inappropriate comments about China. And TF really thinks WTA is winning the PR war with China? :rofl:

·
Registered
19 Posts
China rolls along. Some photographer for Dior and JPMorgan boss have apologized for allegedly racist & inappropriate comments about China. And TF really thinks WTA is winning the PR war with China? :rofl:
'China' has a population that's roughly 50% female (and a large portion of additional population that is males who value females highly). People who advocate for that extremely huge population of people having their full humanity recognized — all their human rights respected — are being disappeared by the people who are governing China irresponsibly.

They are not China. They are a tiny fraction of what China is. The women of China vastly outnumber them. They like to speak for themselves as if they're China but they aren't China. They are a small vain portion of it, a portion that must be removed from power and replaced with benevolent wise leaders, leaders who cherish half the population rather than scourge it.

These are two people who were captured in September and have yet to be heard from. Look at them and open your heart.

Smile Green Textile Neck Sleeve

Forehead Glasses Nose Cheek Chin

It is politically necessary for China to be a place where its women, and men who support their full humanity. have an equal place at the table. This is not about whim.

·
Registered
15,428 Posts
We just need Azealia Banks to get into a feud with the Chinese government because if there is one bitch that won't back down she's it.

·
Registered
55,750 Posts
I can only speak for myself but while concerns of her accusations being completely rugged under the carpet by Chinese authorities remain, my main concern was that she would harm herself (or sent to jail/mental hospital or even worse and we'd never hear of her anymore ). so It's kind of a relief that she somehow ""reappeared" .
But obviously her freedom , and especially freedom of speech, still is questioned

media are still covering the issue daily with new articles and reflexions about the story so I wouldn't say noone cares anymore though...

·
Registered
9,314 Posts
Slavoj Zizek published a piece on Peng Shuai (or rather, referencing the case): Slavoj Žižek: The lessons we can learn from China’s silence on a ‘missing’ tennis player]

this would probably deserve a thread, but it's a text in political theory, rather than a tennis news-piece
In reaction to the growing concern worldwide over her whereabouts and safety, official media issued some unconvincing denials and explanations, which just deepened the mystery. And then the story took another turn. Zhang was part of a group opposed to President Xi Jinping, and there were suggestions that the whole incident had been staged by allies of Xi to get rid of his opponent – we had all been duped. Maybe the true mystery is why Peng’s post was removed after 20 minutes, just enough time for the news to spread around the world?

This sad anecdote – where all my sympathies go to Peng – is not just about oppression of women in an authoritarian society. It also highlights a weird feature of communist regimes: Obsession with appearances which have to be maintained whatever the cost.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
On TF there was 3 weeks of consistent talk and pressure. Some questions have been answered at least and China has had to act in ways it wouldn't otherwise. To say 6-1 6-2 China is a bit silly. The tennis match analogy just doesn't even make sense to me. China always had the power to do whatever they wanted. A Chinese tennis player in China trapped by the Chinese government. I really thought we might never see Peng again.

This is still not enough. Peng needs to be free and the allegations talked about more. Journalistically this has become a massive talking point. To say 6-1 6-2 China sounds like it's against Peng and I guess I just don't want to believe that. I think she made an impact and a difference, even now. And besides, I think WTA moving away from China would be a HUGE result actually. If WTA never responded and pretended like it never happened, the world didn't register it at all, then I would agree.

421 - 440 of 499 Posts