Tennis Forum banner
401 - 420 of 499 Posts

·
Registered
13,792 Posts
Lmao you need to get an actual job and stop reading nonsense from far-left authoritarian weirdos. The 80s were the best time in modern US-history for a reason and DeSantis will restore that glory after your boy Xiden is out. Btw, the democrap cabal deep state won't gift you money or anything for your "support".
Why where they the best with their failed foreign policies, funding foreign wars, supporting dictators who killed millions just because they didn't want the advancement of communism, at home, well...etc, etc

·
Registered
26 Posts
It's still very funny to me that there are people naive enough to think the IOC should leverage the Winter Olympics - multi-billion dollar event planned several years in advance - because of some obscure tennis player that they have never heard of. I understand ideologues and idealists who can always express their opinions cheaply on the internet can afford to think this way, but serious international institutions navigating complex geopolitics cannot afford such infantile idealism. How many countries will this standard be applied to? The US drone bombed a family of 10 in Afghanistan - including 7 children - just a few months ago and those involved investigated themselves and found themselves without fault or consequence. Who is supposed to boycott the US for the injustice? Who will boycott the US for all the military conflicts it has generated and the human suffering, destabilization and body count that China could only dream of over the last 2 decades. Yet, we must boycott China, not even over more worthy courses of serious global consequence, like their repression of Uighurs, but because an elusive woman's sexual assault claims has not been satisfactorily addressed. A lot of this noise is Sinophobic propaganda and nationalism masquerading as moral principle - regardless of the individual merit of this particular case.

The WTA overplayed their hand by demanding China investigate Peng's sexual assault claims rather than focus on her personal wellbeing as the IOC smartly seem more interested by. The Chinese won't take the cheap threats seriously. It may "feel" good in the moment as Steve Simon gets cheered for his courage, but I believe they'll come to regret this in time.
It is still very funny that China made a fool of itself by naively releasing those flawed photos and videos. The WTA didn't overplay their hand by demanding China investigate Peng's sexual assault claims but China underestimated and lack of respect for WTA and others. It was not about " "feel" good" but in fact, It is the right thing for WTA to do so, by standing by and standing firm for the right reason. WTA has the right to do whatever in its capacity to request investigation and to protect pro tennis players from sexual assault including that "elusive woman's sexual assault claims". "That elusive womans sexual assault claims has not been satisfactorily addressed" because China refused to cooperate with WTA in good faith and timely manner. How could anyone with good intentions focus on her personal wellbeing when WTA and many honest others couldn't contact her or talk to her for weeks?. On the other hand, It seemed that OIC was too easy to be manipulated by China. The IOC seemed not "smartly or seem more interested" in her wellbeing because IOC didn't care to ask her about her sexual assault claims instead of asking her for dinner out. There is chance for her getting stomach upset by eating wrong food, which affects her wellbeing, than helping her sexual assault claims.

·
Registered
39 Posts

i saw this French embassy’s post on weibo.
Now 292 comments but only 5 can be read,and full of racism and arrogant attacking
(weibo censors can select what comments can be read to show)

393 reposts but none can be read (unlike twitter,‘tweet’ and ‘quote tweet’ are all in repost section,everyone can see them in normal situation)

·
Registered
6,483 Posts

393 reposts but none can be read (unlike twitter,‘tweet’ and ‘quote tweet’ are all in repost section,everyone can see them in normal situation)
At this moment there are 1203 responses. ...

Many (but haven't count the number) of them could be read and saved as pdf attachment here.
Building Window Font Line Screenshot

Attachments

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
The way this story is unfolding is fascinating and really putting China's totalitarian mechanism's under the world''s gaze. It goes far beyond Peng because this kind of story happens routinely in China, we only hear about it when it's someone famous (and not even then). With the bejing Olympics close at hand China is more attentive to the world's judgement however it's obvious since the IOC gave them their approval that won't be any kind of big stick to wave at them. Maybe some individual countries will boycott but I won't be counting on that, and it won't have a real impact anyway.

What I wonder about is why there isn't another Tiananmen Sq. type uprising ... Various posters on this thread blaming the West for China--just absurd! but if there was a gigantic uprising from within, supported and observed by the West, that could change things. It would take immense courage, of course.

Also, it's hard to know how much people in CHina actually know. It goes without saying that without access to media outside China, they would be in the dark about this story and all others like it.

·
Registered
11,952 Posts
The way this story is unfolding is fascinating and really putting China's totalitarian mechanism's under the world''s gaze. It goes far beyond Peng because this kind of story happens routinely in China, we only hear about it when it's someone famous (and not even then). With the bejing Olympics close at hand China is more attentive to the world's judgement however it's obvious since the IOC gave them their approval that won't be any kind of big stick to wave at them. Maybe some individual countries will boycott but I won't be counting on that, and it won't have a real impact anyway.

What I wonder about is why there isn't another Tiananmen Sq. type uprising ... Various posters on this thread blaming the West for China--just absurd! but if there was a gigantic uprising from within, supported and observed by the West, that could change things. It would take immense courage, of course.

Also, it's hard to know how much people in CHina actually know. It goes without saying that without access to media outside China, they would be in the dark about this story and all others like it.
I think it has made the big breakthrough because unlike the other Chinese celebrities, Peng Shuai is part of the international tennis world, the WTA, so she has international connections and interest that they do not. She has defenders and friends all over the world amongst fellow players, ex-players and journalists who have their twitters and Instagrams and so many followers with an international reach. Probably the worst nightmare for China in terms of their image.

·
Registered
11,952 Posts

Well there has been opposition in Hong Kong and that was dealt with with toughness.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I think it has made the big breakthrough because unlike the other Chinese celebrities, Peng Shuai is part of the international tennis world, the WTA, so she has international connections and interest that they do not. She has defenders and friends all over the world amongst fellow players, ex-players and journalists who have their twitters and Instagrams and so many followers with an international reach. Probably the worst nightmare for China in terms of their image.
There were other equally big and bigger stars that got "disappeared". Here's one:

I didn't know about this, but I knew about Peng because i follow tennis. There was a writer on CNN last night whose Chinese wife was "missing" for four years--he no longer lives in China, obviously, but England I beleive--I joined that story already in progress but Erin Burnett did congratulate him on his courage to talk to the press about it, this is years after it happened and he not his wife live in CHina. Pretty scary, their power to silence.

P.S. Just started reading this article myself. It's juicy as all hell!!!!

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
"Sebastian Coe’s chilling view made me realise benefits of Beijing Olympics boycott"

Article from the The Times in the UK from Matthew Syed, a former athlete and prominent writer here with regards to the disappearance of Peng Shuai.

401 - 420 of 499 Posts