Tennis Forum banner
381 - 400 of 499 Posts

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
system is one of the most important factors contributing to a person's success but there's much more

since some people mentioned hard working and working smart, there's a book called ethnic america written by economist Thomas Sowell, he compared the income difference between African-American, Spanish, Japanese, Jews and Chinese and had some interesting observations, for example Asians worked on their math problems 2 times more than others and based on the 10000 hours practice rule (outliers the story of success) it's understandable they got higher scores and thus have a better chance to land a good college and good job. Internally it's the culture passed by generations.

system "can" make it POSSIBLE you got the "equal" opportunity but they can't guarantee your success. And I'm sure we all know there's no such equal opportunity system exists

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
It's obviously shocking that we don't know for sure Peng's whereabouts or her general safety but I agree what some have said about the WTA overplaying their hand. They can't be utterly servile to China for over a decade and then suddenly demand answers and justice.

I really hope Peng is ok but this is what happens when the world allows such a regime to carry on unchallenged unfortunately.
which country should get the most blame? Or which country could do something in history but they allowed China to be where it could be today?

·
Registered
38,232 Posts
so which one causes more damage financially: all WTA tournaments pulling out of China vs all NBA TV contracts with China got cancelled?

but I think we do know the bottom 1% NBA players can make ends meet easily, if they can't find any opportunity inside of NBA they can still play in NBDL or other overseas league

for WTA, I'm guessing top 100 players can still have a healthy cash flow to support the team. For lower ranked players without support from any tennis association, wonder if WTA pulling out of China permanently would make a difference on their paycheck

I remember there's one blog by a 200+ ranked ATP players several years ago, he described some of the tricks about how to make ends meet, how to pick tournaments location which would have a lower cost on flight ticket and hotel. But most of the time, winning a tournament would still cause negative net income
The China investment only really impacted highly-ranked players.

It's still very funny to me that there are people naive enough to think the IOC should leverage the Winter Olympics - multi-billion dollar event planned several years in advance - because of some obscure tennis player that they have never heard of. I understand ideologues and idealists who can always express their opinions cheaply on the internet can afford to think this way, but serious international institutions navigating complex geopolitics cannot afford such infantile idealism. How many countries will this standard be applied to? The US drone bombed a family of 10 in Afghanistan - including 7 children - just a few months ago and those involved investigated themselves and found themselves without fault or consequence. Who is supposed to boycott the US for the injustice? Who will boycott the US for all the military conflicts it has generated and the human suffering, destabilization and body count that China could only dream of over the last 2 decades. Yet, we must boycott China, not even over more worthy courses of serious global consequence, like their repression of Uighurs, but because an elusive woman's sexual assault claims has not been satisfactorily addressed. A lot of this noise is Sinophobic propaganda and nationalism masquerading as moral principle - regardless of the individual merit of this particular case.

The WTA overplayed their hand by demanding China investigate Peng's sexual assault claims rather than focus on her personal wellbeing as the IOC smartly seem more interested by. The Chinese won't take the cheap threats seriously. It may "feel" good in the moment as Steve Simon gets cheered for his courage, but I believe they'll come to regret this in time.
There's a middle ground between canceling the Olympics and making a completely mockery of themselves and PENG's serious claims, as the global athlete (who exactly is that??) tweet that @Panther24 posted says.

Reactions: Jettwillskye

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
The China investment only really impacted highly-ranked players.

There's a middle ground between canceling the Olympics and making a completely mockery of themselves and PENG's serious claims, as the global athlete (who exactly is that??) tweet that @Panther24 posted says.
if that's the case I'm less angry towards NBA, somehow felt they should stand up against CCP first

·
Registered
18,033 Posts
It's still very funny to me that there are people naive enough to think the IOC should leverage the Winter Olympics - multi-billion dollar event planned several years in advance - because of some obscure tennis player that they have never heard of. I understand ideologues and idealists who can always express their opinions cheaply on the internet can afford to think this way, but serious international institutions navigating complex geopolitics cannot afford such infantile idealism. How many countries will this standard be applied to? The US drone bombed a family of 10 in Afghanistan - including 7 children - just a few months ago and those involved investigated themselves and found themselves without fault or consequence. Who is supposed to boycott the US for the injustice? Who will boycott the US for all the military conflicts it has generated and the human suffering, destabilization and body count that China could only dream of over the last 2 decades. Yet, we must boycott China, not even over more worthy courses of serious global consequence, like their repression of Uighurs, but because an elusive woman's sexual assault claims has not been satisfactorily addressed. A lot of this noise is Sinophobic propaganda and nationalism masquerading as moral principle - regardless of the individual merit of this particular case.

The WTA overplayed their hand by demanding China investigate Peng's sexual assault claims rather than focus on her personal wellbeing as the IOC smartly seem more interested by. The Chinese won't take the cheap threats seriously. It may "feel" good in the moment as Steve Simon gets cheered for his courage, but I believe they'll come to regret this in time.
I was thinking maybe China wants to get out of of the WTA contracts? Perhaps they feel like they paid too much and are having second thoughts? I mean what was that ridiculous amount Barty got just by winning Shenzhen YEC? $6 million or something. Now this Peng thing gives them opportunity to wiggle out of this arrangement.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
I was thinking maybe China wants to get out of of the WTA contracts? Perhaps they feel like they paid too much and are having second thoughts? I mean what was that ridiculous amount Barty got just by winning Shenzhen YEC? $6 million or something. Now this Peng thing gives them opportunity to wiggle out of this arrangement.
it's not the gov paying the contracts, it's endorsement money from companies

considering there are down payment input such as avenue construction it makes no sense they want to get out of the contracts suddenly, let alone there could be legal issues that it's not like you can get back the money right way without penalties

·
Art & Futures
23,273 Posts
Reactions: Sister Price

·
Art & Futures
23,273 Posts
10000% this! I grew up under CCP rule and obviously I have a problem with how they do certain things a lot of the times (censorship as the main one), but it’s dumb to think that China would EVER act the way the West wants it to. EVER. Complete democracy worked in the US, but it did not/could not work in Afghanistan. It’s just not for everyone.

However the Chinese gov takes things too far sometimes. Peng Shuai’s case is one of them - she made a sexual (not a serious law-breaking case, not even rape) allegation towards one of a RETIRED official. To me this isn’t gonna be “destabilizing” at all if handled well, but the gov went the easy/lazy way by censoring everything and contrary of what they hoped - made this whole big deal out of it.

And this is where the outside voices come and correct it. Like the others said, China generally couldn’t care less about how the western world thinks, BUT this is a globalized world and no one can truly be isolated. China wants to prove that it’s no less worthy than anyone, by hosting all the sports events. That’s why voices from the outside world still matter to an extent, and I’m glad we did all these to make Shuai at least reappear so quickly (again, very different from past cases in China). I consider this correcting when CCP went too far, and from the bottom of my heart I thank everyone for it.

I sincerely hope that sexual abuse gain more traction in China and Shuai’s case gets fully investigated. I understand that there are more pressing and important matters in China that needs more attention from CCP (e.g. eliminating extreme poverty in parts of China), which to me, would definitely come before Shuai’s case on any day. However, there are so many ppl in CCP and in China, that we ARE capable of focusing on more than 1 thing (or several things) at a time.

On the other hand, I can’t accept ppl trashing China completely using Shuai’s case. No gov is freaking perfect - did Washington DC look like the capitol of a modern First World country on Jan 6? Ppl trashed Trump, but did anyone question the election system that made Trump the president in the first place? Every country has their own problems, and they solve their problems differently, sometimes with outside help. I like and respect how US solves its problem under the general rule of democracy. I enjoyed how US economy grew a lot and gave us foreigners a chance to work and learn in the most advanced tech companies in the world. I applaud DragonFlame who said -

I have a lot of friends like that, and I sometimes think like that also. However I’m born and raised in Beijing and my family has enough money to support me studying abroad - I’m one of the EXTREMELY privileged Chinese. Ppl need to understand that the “system” works for the less-privileged Chinese, helping a lot of them OUT OF POVERTY. Shuai would mean nothing to them because they are worrying about losing their job and having nothing to eat tomorrow, and the “system” helps them with a new job. Ppl need to understand and RESPECT that. No need to embrace it, no need to like it, but plz respect it.

Btw - feel free to say I’m brainwashed lol. I get that a lot and don’t care anymore :p
Thank u for sharing.

a lot of people have been trashing all governments abt issues, and it is known how peculiar and not ideal US election system is. The good thing is that u are more a little free to speak up against that as a US citizen than in many other countries. It’s not perfect from the freedom angle and there are drawbacks to that freedom but I dont feel afraid. Quite honestly as a paranoid random foreigner im afraid to say anything against a Chinese gov or even some chinese companies just because of how autthoritarian their culture is. (Even about this Peng case.) It permeates to other things outside the gov as well. But once again this isnt unique to China, but rather China is becoming a very dominant force and their attitudes that stem from governance are permeating all over the world.

·
Rise up from ignorance
20,866 Posts
Nice going if WTA has to somehow discredit Bach now :spitrofl:

·
Registered
373 Posts
lol it is you who is actually brainwashed like a Pavlov's dog, I pity you.

You should read this

Nixonland.

Read and learn.
Lmao you need to get an actual job and stop reading nonsense from far-left authoritarian weirdos. The 80s were the best time in modern US-history for a reason and DeSantis will restore that glory after your boy Xiden is out. Btw, the democrap cabal deep state won't gift you money or anything for your "support".

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Who let China in the UN and WTO?
LIke there was any choice.
Russia's in, all kinds of non democratic countries are in.
China and Russia are permanent members of the UN security council--5 countries only, because they have nukes.

So simplistic and flat out wrong to think any other country or countries could have stopped China becoming what it is.
The US couldn't even stop Afghanistan becoming what is, again.

·
Le Conte's Sparrow
11,374 Posts
I think the time of popular revolutions is over. Post world war II it's very difficult to have some kind of popular revolution as the governments simply have to much militaristic power. In 19th century, it was much easier to do it. If you are a democracy, that's great, if you aren't, it's borderline impossible to become one.

"But Lugaid, the Arab Spring"

The one that deep down was decided based on foreign help? The successful ones got it, while the unsuccessful (like Syria) had a more neutral foreign support (as Russia was on one side and the USA on the other).
Let's not forget Capitalists and the State savagely repressing labor unrests throughout the 20th century, of course the Brits leading the way, then U.S., France..Pinkerton was famous as strike breakers.

·
Le Conte's Sparrow
11,374 Posts
LIke there was any choice.
Russia's in, all kinds of non democratic countries are in.
China and Russia are permanent members of the UN security council--5 countries only, because they have nukes.

So simplistic and flat out wrong to think any other country or countries could have stopped China becoming what it is.
The US couldn't even stop Afghanistan becoming what is, again.
Capitalism. It follows profit, wherever it is.

For example Right wing billionaires Koch bro's father traded with Stalin and Hitler.

Capitalists in the U.S., etc., all rushed to China to benefit from low labor costs. Hence the death of manufacturing jobs in many countries, and brainwashed people like Youmustbetrippin naively only blaming Dems for it lol.

Plus, think about the ENORMOUS China market, it's every capitalist's wet dream.

381 - 400 of 499 Posts