·
Registered
44,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pelletier, Dubois and Wozniak receive wild cards into Rogers Cup
Canadian Press

Thursday, August 11, 2005

ADVERTISEMENT
TORONTO (CP) - Canadians Marie-Eve Pelletier, Stephanie Dubois and Aleksandra Wozniak have received wild cards into the main draw of the $1.3-million US Rogers Cup women's tennis tournament.

Pelletier, a native of Repentigny, Quebec, is the top-ranked Canadian on the WTA Tour at No. 116. Dubois, from Laval, Que., is ranked No. 149 while Wozniak has recently turned pro after a successful junior career and is ranked 253rd in the world.

Sharon Fichman of Toronto, Ekaterina Shulaeva of Oakville, Ont., Valerie Tetreault of St. Jean Sur Richelieu, Que., Melanie Gloria of Montreal, Kavitha Krishnamurthy of Oakville and Heidi El Tabakh of London, Ont., will all attempt to earn spots in the main draw through qualifying this weekend.

Meanwhile, Elena Bovina of Russia has pulled out of the tournament due to a shoulder injury.

The 16th-ranked Bovina will be replaced by No. 22 Daniela Hantuchova of Slovakia in the main draw.

Mary Pierce of France is also battling injury but hopes a couple days rest will allow her to compete in Toronto. She withdrew from the JPMorgan Chase Open on Wednesday because of a right thigh strain she sustained in practice.

"I've tried to do some movement, but it hurts. I'm really disappointed because I'm playing very well right now," she said in a statement. "I am going to go home and have treatment. I'll take a few days and hopefully play Toronto. If not, I'll get ready for the U.S. Open."

The Rogers Cup main draw gets underway Monday at the Rexall Centre. Amelie Mauresmo of France is the defending champion.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
64,781 Posts
Sharon Fichman of Toronto, Ekaterina Shulaeva of Oakville, Ont., Valerie Tetreault of St. Jean Sur Richelieu, Que., Melanie Gloria of Montreal, Kavitha Krishnamurthy of Oakville and Heidi El Tabakh of London, Ont., will all attempt to earn spots in the main draw through qualifying this weekend.
Shulaeva :shrug: Krishnamurthy :shrug:

Good luck to Haidy :hearts:

I think Wozniak will be crushed :eek:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts