Tennis Forum banner

81 - 100 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Younger generations are obviously biased towards Serena, but let me remind you, Serena was not always the slam record holder and above all, Venus was not always the messy weak player she became these last ten years at least.
I understand that Serena has a strong case in her favor, but the difference in any direction is not that big considering both at their respective peaks

·
Registered
9,701 Posts
Peak Serena 9 times out of 10. That 2008 Wimbledon final though, Venus left Serena completely bemused and dejected. Serena didnt even try to hide her disappointment after the match. Serena wanted that match baaaad, it had been 5 years since her last Wimby title and Venus was ahead of her at the point.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Serena because she is mentally stronger (which is a very big advantage), but I think peak Venus has the game to match Serena on grass at least. But what would you put as Serena's peak though? Around her first Serena slam? Her 2012 Olympics run? 2013 season? Second Serena slam?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Venus had better defense in her peak and her mentality against anyone BUT Serena was pretty strong too.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Amazing to think of Serena's results since 2010... who could have predicted?

Peak Venus will always have a special place in my heart and mind. In '02, they were extremely even game-wise, but Serena was just mentally much better. Venus' peak game does not translate as well to the modern game as Serena's, which evolved and in many ways strengthened over time. Venus' peak game was tailor made for extremely fast surfaces, where it was completely overwhelming. I don't think Serena at her very best could beat Venus at her very best on fast grass. If Venus had the hunger to win that she did in '05-'08 back in '02-'03, I don't thinks he would have lost four in a row to Serena. In fact, the '03 Wimbledon final featured a very injured Venus that pushed Serena to three sets (this injury basically derailed her consistency and dominance), and I remember Serena commenting on Venus' insane level given the injury in the first set. If Venus had been healthy for that match specifically, I believe that Wimbledon would have been hers.

But, here we are speculating, and Serena is the one with 23 grand slam titles. At the end of the day, I think we can celebrate both for elevating each other and the rest of the tour. There is no one else who has come close to their combination of athleticism and power.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I will always and FOREVER say 2000-2001 Venus eats Serena. The thing that separated them was the mental. Venus just couldn't fathom beating little sis. People often forget Venus had set points in both 2002 FO and 2003 AO final. Both were winnable matches for her, but she couldn't get over that mental hurdle.

Can you guys elaborate on what you mean by Serena plays a more "modern" game? The two games are pretty similar except Serena's has more margin for error.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Peak Venus can beat anyone but she hates to see her sister lose. 2008 Wimbledon final is great example how bitter Serena is , she couldn’t hide her disappointment losing to Venus .

·
Registered
10,678 Posts
I will always and FOREVER say 2000-2001 Venus eats Serena. The thing that separated them was the mental. Venus just couldn't fathom beating little sis. People often forget Venus had set points in both 2002 FO and 2003 AO final. Both were winnable matches for her, but she couldn't get over that mental hurdle.

Can you guys elaborate on what you mean by Serena plays a more "modern" game? The two games are pretty similar except Serena's has more margin for error.

The fact that Serena actually utilizes fairly heavy top spin that is facilitated by advancing racket technology?

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
Venus wins this match because of her speed.

Venus’s power never came from strength and force, it was all just lighting speed.

Venus’s defense was also better and you just couldn’t hit through her.

I’ve said it several times before- Peak Venus was so good that her body could only sustain two years of that kind of athleticism.

·
Registered
39,300 Posts
Second serve was always a big difference between the two, I feel.

I agree that it's a toss-up on faster surfaces between the two.

81 - 100 of 108 Posts