Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve never really liked her and think her “genius” is way overstated by commentators BUT I do think if she was playing at her top level where she used to be backboard she would really cleaned up in 2017/18.

Probably doesn’t warrant a new thread but whatevs :)

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I’ve never really liked her and think her “genius” is way overstated by commentators BUT I do think if she was playing at her top level where she used to be backboard she would really cleaned up in 2017/18.

Probably doesn’t warrant a new thread but whatevs
I didn’t mean to call her Radwanka btw but I prefer that name (and I don’t know how to edit the title on mobile)

·
Registered
20,780 Posts
Re: Peak Radwanka in this era

Lol nice typo.

Plausible. She was always nifty against ball bashers. Wouldn't help at RG but she'd probably do alright at Wimby and Asia.

·
Registered
407 Posts

well she did peak, and been a part of a longest standing big 4 in WTA history with Azarenka, Serena, and Maria :sad: And she fell into oblivion when the likes of Pliskova, and Svitolina got to the top. Talking bout bad timing, kinda opposite of Wozniacki :sad:

·
Registered
114,477 Posts

Radwanska only made 1 slam final and had the poor luck of facing Serena
But in 2013 she was up a break in the 3rd v Lisicki in the semis, later 2 points away, and Aga was 7-0 vs Bartoli. So that was a tough beat, but not against better players than now
I always felt Wozniacki never had that clear look at a major. Whenever she made a slam semi she had to go thru a mulit-slam hard court slam winner, like Serena or Kim. Until this AO, and she closed this out

·
Registered
9,067 Posts

But in 2013 she was up a break in the 3rd v Lisicki in the semis, later 2 points away, and Aga was 7-0 vs Bartoli. So that was a tough beat, but not against better players than now
I always felt Wozniacki never had that clear look at a major. Whenever she made a slam semi she had to go thru a multi-slam hard court major winner, like Serena or Kim. Until this AO, and she closed this out
Hackwanska had the poor luck of facing Serena but Wozniacki playing Serena at USO F '14 never had that clear look before this year.

·
exhale only love
4,101 Posts

If her groundstrokes from 2014 or late 2015 don't return, I can't see her making an impact in the nearest future. Especially the aggressive FH and steady BH.

Also, it feels like she has lost her magic. No more exquisite dropshots or volleys can be seen in her game as often.

·
Registered
27,926 Posts

well she did peak, and been a part of a longest standing big 4 in WTA history with Azarenka, Serena, and Maria :sad: And she fell into oblivion when the likes of Pliskova, and Svitolina got to the top. Talking bout bad timing, kinda opposite of Wozniacki :sad:
WAT??? :spit: :spit: hardly their level even when she peaked

·
Registered
114,477 Posts

I thought big 4 was Court, Graf, Serena, Radwanska!
Anyway, with Stephens and Wozniacki winning the last 2 majors, Aga has to get her game together and join in

·
Registered
11,305 Posts

Probably doesn’t warrant a new thread but whatevs :)
Let's see

1) She would have to beat Serena to win AO. So no, she wasn't winning AO. FYI, Radwanska won just one set in her 10 meetings with Serena. ONE. Errani came more close to beating Serena than Radwanska ever did.

2) Given how much Ostapenko abhors playing Radwanska, the latter would have had a chance to win RG if she were to reach the final. But no way Radwanska was reaching the final irrespective of her draw. She is irrelevant and a walking bye on clay.

3) Radwanska wasn't beating Muguruza in that form.

4) UO would be her best chance to snatch a GS title. Her side of the draw was full of players she has a dominating h2h against. But then again, UO is her worst slam having never gone past 4R in 12 attempts.

Therefore she wasn't going to clean up anything. She would have won a few Tier 1 titles though.

·
Registered
8,377 Posts

Lol. She didn't even manage to "clean up" Lisicki and Bartoli when she was gifted one of the luckiest late GS draws ever. She's just not that good, really.

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts

I always felt Wozniacki never had that clear look at a major. Whenever she made a slam semi she had to go thru a multi-slam hard court major winner, like Serena or Kim. Until this AO, and she closed this out
It's not really luck though. The better players create more opportunities. Literally every top player of the last 15 years must have had the "poor luck" of facing Serena, many multiple times.

·
Registered
15,425 Posts
I don’t think she’s quite done yet but she does tend to get over powered rather easily these days...

I think she can turn it around somewhat but it requires the level of effort and dedication to improve/get stronger befitting a top 3 player and sadly I just don’t think she has this mentality, a bit of a waste really.

As for cleaning up in this era, she was never quite that good, has she really declined that much or has the field improved in recent years? It’s probably a bit of both but more of the latter.

·
Registered
20,780 Posts
She did miss some major opportunities. 2014 AO she masterfully defeated Azarenka and then was curbstomped by Cibulkova in the SF. Indian Wells final that year similar story against Pennetta. She was never in those matches at all. The shame is that she often relies too much on opposition having a bad day or circumstance to pass cleanly, and has never replicated her success at Wimbledon after 2013.

·
Premium Member
181,854 Posts
She did miss some major opportunities. 2014 AO she masterfully defeated Azarenka and then was curbstomped by Cibulkova in the SF. Indian Wells final that year similar story against Pennetta. She was never in those matches at all. The shame is that she often relies too much on opposition having a bad day or circumstance to pass cleanly, and has never replicated her success at Wimbledon after 2013.
:lol: at masterfully
we know why that happened, Vika was on one leg, and didnt play again for 5 months

Reactions: Queen Vika

·
Registered
20,780 Posts
:lol: at masterfully
we know why that happened, Vika was on one leg, and didnt play again for 5 months
shhh. That was still her best match like ever (for hilarity reasons) ;) and I am generally not a fan of Aga.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts

it wouldn't have made a difference anyway had she beaten cibulkova and played li na in the final, because li na would have beaten her.

wozniacki just had bad luck with serena when she was peaking during that summer, and she was going up against serena 4 times in 2014 and she lost each time. in 2009 clijsters only had 1 grand slam going into 2009 us open final. so she wasn't a multi grand slam champion at the time. the first set was close. had wozniacki pulled out the 1st set tiebreaker, then things might have been different.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts