Votes: 54 14.4%
  • Graf 5-0

Votes: 65 17.4%
1 - 20 of 407 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We bought a time machine, and took 1988 Steffi and 2002 Serena to the current year in a 5 match meeting against each other...

1- Australia - Rod Laver
2- Roland Garros - Phillipe Chatrier
3- Wimbledon - Central Court
4- US Open - Arthur Ashe
5- Miami - Stadium

Who wins?

·
Registered
15,640 Posts
Then technically, poor Steffi would be stuck with a weak racket while Serena? pounded heavy metal balls down to the baseline :eek:

I still think we have a few weeks before we see more of these sorts of threads, but Graf 3-2 :shrug:

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
I voted 4-1 for Serena. I think Graf would beat Serena at the French. The other 4 I had to go with Serena.
Just looking at pics from 88 and pics from now and comparing the pace of shots is silly. If Graf grew up with the modern technology etc, her forehand would be just as pacey and hard as Serena's. The increased pace is more to do with technology and the greats of yesteryear have the hand eye coordination to be greats in the modern era...

·
Banned
450 Posts
graf would have had a remote chance on clay on all other surfaces she would have been blasted into oblivion.

Against henin she would have only stood a small chance on grass
Same for clijsters.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Just look at the pace of shots. The aggression. Worlds apart. Makes 1988 look like country club tennis.
Y'know, it's the posts like this which always make my day on WTAWorld.

You can't compare matches across played against different opponents. A match between Safin and Federer would have totally different pace than a match between Murray and Federer. You hit as hard as your opponent lets you.

If you actually bother to watch those matches Graf and Serena played, you see that Graf really had no problem with the pace of Serena's groundstrokes.

edit. Just finished watching Azarenka-Li, and now watching Rybarikova-Radwanska. Tempo and power of the groundstrokes in the first match was lightyears ahead. Does that mean that these players wouldn't have a prayer against Li? Of course not.

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
Serena 5-0

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
Y'know, it's the posts like this which always make my day on WTAWorld.

You can't compare matches across played against different opponents. A match between Safin and Federer would have totally different pace than a match between Murray and Federer. You hit as hard as your opponent lets you.

If you actually bother to watch those matches Graf and Serena played, you see that Graf really had no problem with the pace of Serena's groundstrokes.

edit. Just finished watching Azarenka-Li, and now watching Rybarikova-Radwanska. Tempo and power of the groundstrokes in the first match was lightyears ahead. Does that mean that these players wouldn't have a prayer against Li? Of course not.
Amen to that! Best post in this thread so far..............

1 - 20 of 407 Posts