Tennis Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
“Nice-Looking Rebel” article from Tages-Anzeiger, 13 August 2003

by Simon Graf, Zurich

One week after the "Zischtigsclub" Swiss television episode on the subject of her and her relationship, Patty Schnyder was back at the same place to speak. Actually Patty Schnyder should have been at the Canadian open in Toronto this week. But the Basel native, who had called off her participation in the tournament after her first-round exit from Helsinki, made yesterday Tuesday evening a completely different appearance: on the "Zischtigsclub" of Swiss television. After she and her relationships with her life-partner Rainer Hofmann as well as with her parents in the "Zischtigsclub" the previous week (topic "Michelle Hunziker, Patty Schnyder: When daughters and wives break out") in her absence brought up for discussion, she made an initiative to SFDRS to appear herself, in order to present her own view of the subject. Moderator Ueli Heiniger granted her request, particularly since the "Zischtigsclub" episode about Schnyder had received the show’s best market viewer rating in 2003. "I want to come forward in such a way that the people understand me,” said the 25 year-old. "Many lies were spread about me - it is enough."

In the framework of the hurriedly organized "Zischtigsclub," was an intimately small framework with only four discussion participants. Together with Schnyder two journalists and a Psychoanalytikerin sat in the studio: Hugo Stamm editor of “Tages-Anzeiger" and sect expert [who wrote some articles against Hofmann], Beat Kraushaar, news chief of SonntagsBlick [Beat Kraushaar is the journalist who has authored or overseen many articles in the last several years which displayed Rainer Hofmann in a glowing, admiring light], and Ingrid Feigl. The fact that despite the intimate framework, no friendly tendency arose, lay in the nature of the discussion. “In the media I am portrayed as isolated and that I do not have any friends, that I am enslaved and can not even think for myself,” said Schnyder about her image in public. "This is not correct at all. I have an answer for everything, and I can think myself." Besides she accused Stamm of “defamation.”

The exchange of verbal blows was thus opened. With Stamm, who advised the Schnyder parents during Schnyder’s liaison with Rainer Harnecker at the beginning of 1999, and who has published several articles on Schnyder/Hofmann, on one side. And Schnyder and Kraushaar, who made friends in the context of his journalistic activity with Hofmann and Schnyder, on the opposing side. A central topic of discussion were Schnyder’s parents, whom the woman from Basel in an interview in SonntagsBlick had insulted in February 2002 as being “Talibans.” “I hold fast to this comparison,” reaffirmed Schnyder. She called Stamm a representative of her parents. “My parents try to bring me back under their control with pressure and terror,” Schnyder continued. She broke away from her parents' house, “because my parents never took me seriously.” And the relationship with Harnecker helped her with the separation.

Stamm confronted Schnyder with the fact that payments have flowed directly from her bank account to the company Telekom for the repayment of debts by Hofmann. "I am not obligated to give an account of my financial affairs for the whole nation,” answered Schnyder. To the question, whether she had ever distrusted Hofmann, she answered, “No, never. I always received everything from him first-hand." Schnyder called herself "rebellious" and having a “fighter nature” and remarked: “I can also do nothing about the fact that I am nice-looking." Her conclusion and her core statement read: “I want to be simply respected as an adult woman. And nobody is allowed to attack Rainer. I stand by him, we are super-happy." She has her next public appearance on a tennis court presumably the week after next, at the US Open.

interesting article. i thought the funniest part was when she referred to herself as nice-looking. i am sure it was taken out of context and translation though. patty's trying to convince people she is her own person it seems. i do think she has some strength in her, but ultimately IMO she is too screwed up emotionally (due to parents, harnecker, hoffman) to actually know what she feels. obviously that is not the most informed opinion considering i know nothing about her really, but i'm scared that JR will attack me if i don't fully express my negative (or i guess positive) opinions.

it seems to be quite a saga, where everyone wants their two bobs worth

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
I thought that was funny too, how Patty said that she can't do anything about the fact that she is pretty! Taking a page out of Anna Kournikova's book circa 1997-98, when Anna was always saying, "I can't change the way i look..."

But it's true, Patty is *beautiful* :kiss:

There is a "Patty Schnyder/Rainer Hofmann" thread sitting on Page 1 at the moment that explains quite a bit if you weren't familiar with the situation, some of the facts are rather debatable but if you read that thread it'll tell you the basics. It's too long a story to relate, but in one sentence: In 1999 Patty ran off with a crazy German guy named Rainer, her parents hired a second German guy named Rainer to free her from him, which he promptly did, but then the second Rainer took over Patty's life and turned out to be even worse than the first Rainer (at least from the parent's point of view). That's where it stands right now.

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
“In the media I am portrayed as isolated and that I do not have any friends, that I am enslaved and can not even think for myself,” said Schnyder about her image in public. "This is not correct at all. I have an answer for everything, and I can think myself." Besides she accused Stamm of “defamation.”

were did I read this before?;)

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
except for the first sentence about the coach, that bio of Patty from the WTA is six or seven years old. Maybe it needs some further updating ;)

irma, where DID you hear this before? :confused:

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
there used to be a player who was "accused" of the same thing and gave about the same answer;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Lindsayfan said:
excuse me,may someone explain me the whole story shortly?who hoffman and harnecker are?
Yes, that would be nice, because I like Patty and I am a bit lost too... :sad:

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
JR do you actually know for certain that Hofmann successfully cowed Tennis Week (a U.S. based publication)? I always thought Tennis Week seemed like a pretty independent magazine. They even plug themselves by saying "Tennis Week isn't afraid to take on the sport's sacred cows" or some such baloney. This is interesting info if it's true.

Sorry Irma, are you talking about Hingis? I haven't got a clue.

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
since real life shows are hot these days. don't you think the schnyder show would be a big hit?

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
vogus said:
JR do you actually know for certain that Hofmann successfully cowed Tennis Week (a U.S. based publication)? I always thought Tennis Week seemed like a pretty independent magazine. They even plug themselves by saying "Tennis Week isn't afraid to take on the sport's sacred cows" or some such baloney. This is interesting info if it's true.

Sorry Irma, are you talking about Hingis? I haven't got a clue.
no I am talking about steffi. when she was playing the media also wrote all the time that she was isolated and had no friends and the people around her (daddy) made the decisions for her. it made her mad too :eek:

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Thanx Irma, i didn't actually know that. :) But it was Steffi's father and not her boyfriend who was the cause of the "isolation", right? - i thought Steffi didn't really have a serious boyfriend while she was on the tour.

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
she had, but no he was not responsable for it. I think the opposite till steffi dumped him for andre;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts