Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
People give Genie a hard time because her results never matched the success she had in 2014 but Tamira Paszek who flunked for 2 tournaments in 2012 is getting, oh she is so good at grass.

Reactions: BlueTrees

·
Registered
115,438 Posts
She must have had injuries. I always compared Paszek to Aniko Kapros who beat henin in Paris in 2002. Really good groundstrokes but couldnt stay healthy

·
King
28,880 Posts
She must have had injuries. I always compared Paszek to Aniko Kapros who beat henin in Paris in 2002. Really good groundstrokes but couldnt stay healthy
Kapros literally had the worst serve the tour has ever seen. :lol:

I honestly think that the game had already passed Paszek by before she was even 20, and post 2008, I think it was mix of slower average surface speeds, plus people figuring her significant flaws out which meant she pretty much did nothing off of grass for the majority of the latter part of her career.

Paszek was an excellent ball striker, but didn’t have overwhelming fire-power, and thus her groundies were mostly harmless on slower, higher-bouncing surfaces where she needed to create her own pace. She was also un-athletic, with an unreliable serve, and overall, she didn’t improve her game all that much from when she was 17.

Definitely a fun player on quicker surfaces, but very limited, and I definitely think her lack of consistent success over the years was testament to that.

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
She showed some signs of recovery after the JJ disaster (where she played some of the cleanest and most brutal tennis I've seen from a young player), but it took too long, years in fact, before she recovered from that loss and won a big title and had some nice Wimbledon runs. By then the game had kinda passed her by and injuries pretty much ended her relevance.

Unfortunately, her career trajectory and wasted talent looks very similar to that of the recent case of Ana Konjuh.

Then again, it looked like Bencic was gone after breaking out on tour too young then fading away for years, so perhaps there is hope for Paszek and Konjuh etc yet...

Reactions: Perun

·
Registered
56,658 Posts
Yes

She had a great backhand, was strong on grass. Her serve was weak.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Paszek was neither particularly powerful, nor particularly fast... she was one of those players who matured very early, but others of the same age then caught up and passed her... a skilled player but not one who was going to contend for GS titles. Several years in the Top 50 was a decent career for her.

·
Registered
8,492 Posts
People give Genie a hard time because her results never matched the success she had in 2014 but Tamira Paszek who flunked for 2 tournaments in 2012 is getting, oh she is so good at grass.
Lol, learn to troll better. She already reached Wimbledon QF in 2011 and won 2 titles (including one at age 15) before her 2012 grass run. Also reached 2 consecutive GS R4 in 2007 at age 16 @ Wimbledon and USO.

·
Registered
8,492 Posts

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
I loved her groundstrokes. Also I miss Aravane Rezai, with extremely powerful game and Jamie Hampton, who had similar style to Ash Barty.

Reactions: Perun and kiriosh.

·
Registered
48,577 Posts
she was okay... her best could be top 20, but her result is just average, little bit overrated.

·
Registered
56,658 Posts
Szavay, Golovin, Kournikova, Vaidisova and Konjuh were bigger wasted talents than Paszek ! :p

They all had much more potential than Tamira and were forced to retire early or stopped early.

Agnes Szavay had to retire at 23 yo.
Tatiana Golovin had to retire at 20 yo.
Anna Kournikova had to retire at 21 yo.

Despite retiring so early they had a lot of success:

Szavay won 5 WTA singles titles. I still remember her strong tennis at Beijing 2007. Career High #13.
She had wins over Jankovic, Ivanovic, Azarenka, Görges, Petkovic, Lisicki, Venus, Strycova, A. Radwanska, Martic, Sevastova, Safina, Petrova, Dementieva, Vesnina, Bartoli, Cibulkova, Hantuchova, Schiavone, Errani.

Golovin won 2 WTA singles titles. Reached 5 WTA singles finals (2x at Stuttgart). Career High was #12.
She had wins over Jankovic, Ivanovic, A. Radwanska, Chakvetadze, Kirilenko, Petrova, Kuznetsova, Safina, Dementieva, Venus, Bartoli, Schiavone, Cibulkova, Hantuchova, Vaidisova, A. Bondarenko, K. Bondarenko, Stosur, Peng, Frazier, Sprem.

(Fun fact: Both reached one Grand Slam QF: Both at US Open :lol: Golovin in 2006, Szavay in 2007.)

Anna Kournikova reached SF at Wimbleon (1997) and QF at Aus Open (2001).
And she won 2 Grand Slam titles in doubles with Hingis (Aus Open 1999 and Aus Open 2002).
Anna also reached strong Career Highs: #8 in singles and #3 in doubles.
She had wins over Graf, Hingis, Davenport, Capriati, Seles, Rubin, Fernandez, Raymond, Coetzer, Petrova, Zvonareva, Dementieva, Clijsters, Huber, Schett, Paulus, Schnyder, Conchita Martinez, Sanchez Vicario, Hantuchova, Sugiyama, Frazier, Smashnova, Mauresmo, Dechy, Tauziat, Testud, Majoli, Lucic, Zvereva, Spirlea, Peschke, Kandarr.

Impressive results for such short careers :yeah:
And they could have achieved more without those injuries.

·
Moderator - Juniors
13,492 Posts
Really good groundstrokes yes, but also both with dreadful serves and questionable movement. On their day they could produce some great shots and certainly injuries didn’t help, but I also think their weaknesses were glaring and people figured those out.

Reactions: Perun and goldenlox

·
Registered
115,438 Posts
Yes, very similar and both were very impressive on their good days

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
Golovin or Hampton for me, 2 careers that really could have been smth if not for injuries.

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
Kapros literally had the worst serve the tour has ever seen. :lol:

I honestly think that the game had already passed Paszek by before she was even 20, and post 2008, I think it was mix of slower average surface speeds, plus people figuring her significant flaws out which meant she pretty much did nothing off of grass for the majority of the latter part of her career.

Paszek was an excellent ball striker, but didn’t have overwhelming fire-power, and thus her groundies were mostly harmless on slower, higher-bouncing surfaces where she needed to create her own pace. She was also un-athletic, with an unreliable serve, and overall, she didn’t improve her game all that much from when she was 17.

Definitely a fun player on quicker surfaces, but very limited, and I definitely think her lack of consistent success over the years was testament to that.
Exactly my assessment also. I have seen many girls like Paszek come and go, like Kapros and Larcher de Brito, they hit the tour, timing the ball very well but do not evolve much. They have good results and some exiting matches then stall rather quickly - they time the ball like a top 20 player, at least when the court is fast, and other parts of their game are not yet exposed. It all looks very nice but there is surprisingly little depth in their game.

In contrast, players like Golovin and Hampton are more likely to be labelled wasted talents. They had more than just good timing, their shots carried weight, their service techniques were better and they could implement all sorts of tactics into their game because they could execute different types of shots.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts