Tennis Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need an on-line source of match statistics, and hopefully exact dates, for matches in the late 80's and through the 90's.

Rollo, you helped me with a couple of dates recently by using the NY Times. I visited The New York Times web site, and they only have on-line archives to 1996, so I'm assuming you use an off-line archive? Do they also have stats and can I use it, too? I suppose I could keep asking you for info, but then I would be a pest.

Tenniscorner.net doesn't have statistics.

Thanks bunches in advance.

·
R.I.P. Thank you!
25,876 Posts
Spirit-I looked at SMU's library website, it looks like you can use most of the libraries as long as you are on site. I suggest you go to the library most convenient to you (or the main librarey on campus if possible) and go right up to the reference/info desk and tell them what you are looking for.

Match stats will be hard to come by unless it's a grand slam final or a paper covering a local event. Exact dates should be easier.

When you are at the desk you need to ask a couple of questions:

1. What newspapers does the college have on databases? I get the NEw York Times from 1851 via Proquest. SMU doesn't look like it has Proquest, but it should have other databases.

2. Ask for the periodical room. Even if SMU doesn't have databases they WILL have microfilm. I find the LA Times better than the New York Times for tennis-and don't forget your local Dallas and Houston papers as well!

3. World Tennis and Tennis magazine will also have some match stats from big matches. SMU should carry both those magazines.

Good luck. If you need a few scores I'll be happy to check if I have time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.