Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Premium Member
172,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/us_open_2003/3196719.stm

Arthur Ashe (12:30PM)

(6) Jennifer Capriati (USA) v (11) E Dementieva (Rus)
(1) Andre Agassi (USA) v Taylor Dent (USA)

Arthur Ashe (07:00PM)

(2) Justine Henin-Hardenne (Bel) v Dinara Safina (RUS)
(3) Juan Carlos Ferrero (Spa) v Todd Martin (USA)

Louis Armstrong (11:OOAM)

(11) Ai Sugiyama (Jpn) v (29) Francesca Schiavone (Ita)
(7) Anastasia Myskina (Rus) v Mary Pierce (Fra)
(6) Lleyton Hewitt (Aus) v (11) P Srichaphan (Tha)

Grandstand court (third match)

(5) Guillermo Coria (Arg) v Jonas Bjorkman (Swe)

· Team WTAworld, Senior Member
8,026 Posts
because she's playing a Russian :rolleyes:

· Banned
14,953 Posts
Jennifer didn't get the Night Match because CBS sucks. Thanks.

· Registered
2,570 Posts
True - CBS wanted the Capriati match! It's the match of the day, for sure, and on most days it would have been the night match. Now we are stuck with a lame Henin match...though I guess we would have had that in the day session instead, so it doesn't matter. Please let's get to the semis!!

· Registered
8,954 Posts
i find it pretty surprising that justine got the night match over capriati. capriati is not only american but she should have the tougher test especially if dementieva plays like she has the last few weeks (beating mauresmo, taking justine to 3 sets twice). but anyway i wanted to see dinara play so i'm happy.

· Registered
16,773 Posts
Jennifer has had 2 night matches already, as has Kim, and Justine as the #2 seed, has to get a shot at it too.

However, unlike jason, I do not find her matches to be "lame", and I look forward to her first appearance on tv since the first round. :)

· Registered
2,570 Posts
janie - I meant lame in terms of the quality of match. Capriati/Dementieva is far more marquee than Henin/Safina everywhere but Belgium.

· Registered
16,773 Posts
Well none of the women's night matches so far have been of a high quality, either, if that is your standard; they have mostly been total routs. Nor do I expect ED, with her creampuff 2nd serve, to serve up a competitive match with Jennifer. And people are certainly curious about Marat's sister.

· Registered
3,762 Posts
That includes me! I wanna see Dinara!! :)

But PLEASE make it a match!!! I want a competive night match!!! lol

· Registered
2,452 Posts
Well, even as a Belgian I like the Cappy/Demetieva match more than Juju/Safina. But I think Capriati doesn't want to play evening matches anymore, because of her eyes...

· Registered
1,517 Posts
As one other person said, CBS, which has the more important broadcast TV rights (not the cable rights), gets first choice in which matches it wants. Since CBS brodcasts the day sessions on the first Saturday and Sunday, and the second Monday, that means all the marquee matches those days will end up in the day sessions, with somewhat lesser matches ending up at night. This is why Agassi was a day match on Saturday, with the "lesser" match of Martin/Ginepri getting shunted to USA Network. The only American woman in singles on Saturday was J-Crap, and none of the other women's singles matches was deemed worthy of being played in the night session (not even Juju, for some reason), so the organizers put Navratilova and Sharapova on Ashe Stadium as the second night match.

It's also the reason why Agassi and Rodprick got put on broadcast TV, while Federer and Black got shunted to cable. CBS, like ESPN, don't care about the quality of matches; they only care about putting a few names out there. (And then the commentators wonder why nobody in America cares about a player like Hénin-Hardenne.)

· Registered
5,303 Posts
jenglisbe said:
janie - I meant lame in terms of the quality of match. Capriati/Dementieva is far more marquee than Henin/Safina everywhere but Belgium.
True! I think Elena will be a tough match for Jen but Justine will beat Dinara easily. However CBS gets to show the featured matches of the day which is Andre's match and Jen's match.

· Registered
370 Posts
Well this is suprising news because I had heard that Justine specifically had asked not to play nightmatches.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.