Discussion Starter #1
From sports.yahoo.com

Venus Williams to face Jelena Dokic in Gaz de France final
AP Photo

More Photos

By JOCELYN GECKER
Associated Press Writer
February 9, 2002

PARIS (AP) -- Top-seeded Venus Williams defeated defending champion Amelie Mauresmo 4-6, 7-6 (3), 7-5 Saturday to advance to the final of the Gaz de France tournament.

Williams advanced to a Sunday final against fourth-seeded Jelena Dokic, who defeated Monica Seles 6-3, 3-6, 6-4.

The crowd at the at Paris' Pierre de Coubertin indoor stadium cheered for Mauresmo, giving the French player cheers of ``Allez Amelie.''

``She's just an incredible player,'' Williams said. ``It was very difficult.''

Mauresmo's power serves and strong baseline game had Williams repeatedly stumbling to catch her footing. Williams, a four-time Grand Slam champion, predicted that Mauresmo has a strong future.

``She's definitely going to win some slams in the future,'' Williams said.

Dokic, 18, won for the first time in five matches against Seles.

``I really didn't think I was going to win,'' Dokic said.

Seles, 28, said she got rattled by Dokic's strong serve.

``She was much more aggressive,'' Seles said. ``I had a really difficult time breaking her.''

Dokic drew hisses and boos from the crowd in the third set after repeatedly disputing lines calls. At one point she walked from the referee's chair wiping tears from her eyes.

``At such crucial points in the third set. it's upsetting,'' Dokic said.

What bad treatment from the Paris crowd, all because Jelena questioned some calls, it's not like she used profanity or anything like that.

Nice to hear Jelena's serve is improving.

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
I hate boohing :fiery: but the fact that she pulled it off shows how though she is, good job:D

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
8,263 Posts
I am sorry to hear that, but French crowd like to get behind a player they support, Monica is loved here coz she last play here in 1993 (correct me if I am wrong). This match is good for Jelena coz she can learn how to ignore the crowd when the crowd go against her. Good luck to Jelena on the final

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is a quote from a fan that watched the match:

"The third set was very very emotional for Jelena.. Early on, a few very questionable calls went the way of Monica Seles.. The chair umpire wasn't really at his place.. I saw many of his games this week and never did he overrule a call, not one time.. and when it happened once, then twice and 3 and 4 times. On one occasion, even Monica told Jelena that the ball was out but there was nothing to do, the umpire would not overruel. Jelena simply lost it.. she started crying on the court while still playing to not lose points because of time delays.. It was devastating to watch."

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
With questioning line calls, you wanna get the overrule, but crowds care how you go about it. Arthur Ashe used to just look at the chair umpire and raise his eyebrow. And they'd usually overrule. I rarely see Venus dipute a call. But in the US Open final, she looked at the chair, walked to the spot, tapped where she thought the ball had landed, and walked back to start the next point. Never said a word.

The crowd will accept that from a millionaire capitalist princess. They do NOT want to hear whining from a millionaire capitalist princess. IMHO, most crowds will forgive Jenn expletive laden outbursts before they'll cotton to what looks like a little girl throwing a temper tantrum. This is totally unfair, since what Jenn does is ....

rather dramatic.

·
Premium Member
11,130 Posts
Kudos to Jelena.....shes a tigress! :)

french crowds can really suck at times,,,

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,053 Posts
Just like savages, some crowds respect only thing - power. Dokic should win and show them a finger.

·
Banned
16,998 Posts
Good job Jelena,dont let them get you down!

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
49,763 Posts
YEAH JELENA! GOOD JOB!

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I was happy very fortunate to be attending that match today, and I can tell you the whole story is a bit exaggerated.

I'm not French and sometimes also not very happy with the way they react (specially if a French player is involved). However this times no French were around and then they don't like any player compaining about the calls for too long.

There were a few calls that went against Jelena, but also at a very crucial point there was a serve by Jelena that seemed out and Seles really yelled No way!, she had a quick look a the line judge, but continued playing without further complaining. Just to say that Jenela wasn't the only one that felt rubbed, but just dealt with it in a way that is more appreciated by the French crowd.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Come now, I did see the game in question on TV and while it is true that the crowd was globally more for Monica than for Jelena, what appeared to upset her (and indeed bring tears to her face - I saw that and felt sorry for her) was the calls themselves, much more than the booing!
Of course, if the point is to bash French crowds, feel free to do so. A worn out topic can serve once more, can't it. Just like great smash, I do find some French groups of fans obnoxious sometimes, but I can tell the line between fair criticism and cheap retaliation from some frustrated people.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Well I never realised she was that upset, but this means she really must have felt she'd been robbed of some points (which is hard to say, but if she felt that bad she must have bee, right). However, the crowd can't have been the problem, although I would be fair to admit it was pro Seles:angel:

·
Registered
8,726 Posts
ys said:
Just like savages, some crowds respect only thing - power. Dokic should win and show them a finger.
I'm pretty laid back, but I have a feeling that is something I would do. :cool: The obnoxiousness would annoy me.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Monica is loved here coz she last play here in 1993
Monica didn't play in 1993 because she was stabbed earlier that year. Also, she has played the French several times, including losing to Steffi in 1999. .Or, did you mean something else and I've misunderstood?

The French crowds can be very nasty and rude and it's not very much fun. They seem especially vicious to women. I think the fact that Jelena won despite the crowd was proof positive that she is a tough cookie. I'm hoping this is Jelena's year and she wins a Slam. It would be really cool if she ended the year at #1.:bounce:

·
Devoted Capriati-Ite
186,275 Posts
ILUVJELENA said:
From sports.yahoo.com

Venus Williams to face Jelena Dokic in Gaz de France final
AP Photo

More Photos

By JOCELYN GECKER
Associated Press Writer
February 9, 2002

PARIS (AP) -- Top-seeded Venus Williams defeated defending champion Amelie Mauresmo 4-6, 7-6 (3), 7-5 Saturday to advance to the final of the Gaz de France tournament.

Williams advanced to a Sunday final against fourth-seeded Jelena Dokic, who defeated Monica Seles 6-3, 3-6, 6-4.

The crowd at the at Paris' Pierre de Coubertin indoor stadium cheered for Mauresmo, giving the French player cheers of ``Allez Amelie.''

``She's just an incredible player,'' Williams said. ``It was very difficult.''

Mauresmo's power serves and strong baseline game had Williams repeatedly stumbling to catch her footing. Williams, a four-time Grand Slam champion, predicted that Mauresmo has a strong future.

``She's definitely going to win some slams in the future,'' Williams said.

Dokic, 18, won for the first time in five matches against Seles.

``I really didn't think I was going to win,'' Dokic said.

Seles, 28, said she got rattled by Dokic's strong serve.

``She was much more aggressive,'' Seles said. ``I had a really difficult time breaking her.''

Dokic drew hisses and boos from the crowd in the third set after repeatedly disputing lines calls. At one point she walked from the referee's chair wiping tears from her eyes.

``At such crucial points in the third set. it's upsetting,'' Dokic said.

What bad treatment from the Paris crowd, all because Jelena questioned some calls, it's not like she used profanity or anything like that.

Nice to hear Jelena's serve is improving.

Typical Paris!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Banned
5,664 Posts
essielewis said:

Monica didn't play in 1993 because she was stabbed earlier that year. Also, she has played the French several times, including losing to Steffi in 1999. .Or, did you mean something else and I've misunderstood?

The French crowds can be very nasty and rude and it's not very much fun. They seem especially vicious to women. I think the fact that Jelena won despite the crowd was proof positive that she is a tough cookie. I'm hoping this is Jelena's year and she wins a Slam. It would be really cool if she ended the year at #1.:bounce:
Monica lost to Martina Navratilova in the 1993 final.

·
Registered
9,886 Posts
essielewis,

They were not talking about playing in the city of Paris, which would then include the French Open (Roland Garros).

They meant playing the Paris Open, which monica did play in 1993, because it was held before she was stabbed.

So, while she has played the French Open since 93, on numerous occassions, she hasn't played the Paris Open since 1993.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts