Tennis Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
20,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Venus playing strong, smart
By Pam Shriver

It looks as if Venus Williams is the heavy favorite to win the Australian Open. She came down early this year and played last week, winning the Australian Women's Hardcourt Championships over Belgian Justine Henin.

This week, Williams just practiced while others played badly, like Jennifer Capriati, or got injured, like Serena Williams, who decided to pull out of the Australian Open after the schedule was not adjusted to give her an extra day to recover before playing again.

Former No. 1 Martina Hingis won the Adidias International title in Sydney, but she is not playing well enough to win the Australian Open unless power players like Venus play below par.

Kim Clijsters and countrywoman Henin are playing just OK as of now.

Monica Seles might step up, but she is in the tough half with Venus and Hingis.

Lindsay Davenport, who had knee surgery, will be missed as a past Australia Open champion and the No. 1 player -- for now.

·
Registered
21,902 Posts
Pam hasn't been changing the song of the south for quite a while for now. I'd be really suprised if she named someone else.

·
Registered
14,818 Posts
well pam was her mentor
what did you expect!!!

·
Registered
14,818 Posts
lol @ K

·
Banned
2,029 Posts
Go Pam!

Thank you! :D

·
Tart with a Heart
15,747 Posts
Wow. She must have been agonizing over that decision for days. I wish I could get paid for stating the obvious.

·
Registered
34,742 Posts
LOL JonBCn, I was thinking the same! Anyone can see Venus is the clear favourite.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
actually, I think we have to find out what Chris Evert says and then we know its the opposite!
Ruth in PHilly pa USA

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
Well, Pam Shriver will never pick a non-american, I can tell you what Pam is gonna say before she says it, always the same, just switch the names: Venus Williams and Lindsay Davenport and you got it, she sound a lot like Tracy Austin.

anyways, I don't think Venus is the clear favourite and that PS is stating the obvious. This is not Venus' best surface and she hasn't been playing that well, that is before the injury.

My favourite to win, before the tournament started was Monica Seles, and I still think the same, specially after seeing all candidates.

And Pam Shriver must have brain diahrrea. Monica Seles has a tough draw with Williams and Martina, agree, but Venus also has a tough draw with Monica and Hingis, so. Monica has won the Australian Open 4 times and if she gets to play Venus not being tired I favour her, I want Martina or Justine to win, but I think Monica will.

·
Premium Member
1,432 Posts
Well Venus certainly has a great chance especially if her poor knees hold up. But I don't think Pam even notices if anyone else is playing well. She must be choking on Hingis's great form!
(Of course I'm sure Evert already choked on Venus ...)

Pam is so biased towards Venus that she even praises her in the middle of commentating matches between two other players, even if V is not even in the tournament! And it's not just for the benefit of US audiences because she does it on Australian TV as well.

Thanks goodness for BJK or we'd never get any sensible commentary on the women.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
What is she supposed to do, pick somebody she doesn't think is going to win???

Go Pammy!

·
♥ All-American Reject
19,132 Posts
Pam Shriver knows what she's talking about, Go Pam! :)

RAA: i wouldn't be surprised if Chris Evert chose Martina Hingis (her usual pick to win every major) :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
27,114 Posts
Pam is stating the obvious, but she's probably right.

I hope that Monica does step up to the task at hand :).

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Former No. 1 Martina Hingis...is not playing well enough to win the Australian Open unless power players like Venus play below par.

God, thats harsh. I hope Martina makes her eats her words.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
So it wasn't a 5 page analysis, big deal.
She gave her reasons why she thought Vee would win.
I just don't see why everyone is ragging on her, when she's pretty much saying what the consensus is--Vee is the favorite.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts