Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently, the complaints to ESPN worked, Pam conceded she was a little hard on Hingis last night. Then she stated, "politics", like she was forced to apologize.

·
Banned
16,998 Posts
Yeah,I heard that too!Wow,ESPN actually got onto her!Cool!

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
I guess that shows the kind of person she is.

She first behaves like a bitch, people complain and ESPN directives force her to apologize, she apologizes but makes clear it's because she was forced too, so, what's the value of that apology then?

And she is so weak that can't even stand for her own remarks, if she thinks she was right, why did she apologize?, she can't have her own mind.

My respect for her is even lower now, she is just a coward that can't even stand for what she says, maybe at least ESPN will consider it seriously before putting her on the air again.

·
Registered
18,112 Posts
Pam said the other day that Martina was "stubborn". Looks like she is the stubborn because today she started criticizing Amelie by saying that she had not changed her groundstrokes perhaps because "Amelie is stubborn" and then Cliff Drysdale shook her up when he said sarcastically "Why don't you tell what you really feel?" as an oblique reference to her harshness with Martina. Pam was then left speechless. Cliff even told her on the air that she "was a little hard on Martina" and then Pam said "yeah, apparently. Apologies" but she said in a very defensive sarcastic way.

I have been saying for TWO YEARS that Pam doesn't like Martina and I wonder if it has to do with her giving Melanie those coaching tips on a cassette and she is upset because Martina and Melanie have hurt her ego by not following her advice. It is only recently that more and more of us have picked up on how she really uses every opportunity to take a dig at Martina.

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
it's not only what she says about Martina, but her bias towards Venus is beyond the limits, I can picture her drooling when she says the name Venus and I starting to believe she has something for her.

Plus, as I said before the apology, far from fixing thing, shows Pam Shriver as she is, a very low person.

Finally, considering Pam's knowledge of tennis, I can't blame Melanie or Martina for not taking her advice, I would rather hire Mike Tyson as a coach. (tennis coach I mean)

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
wut tennis tape?

wut advice tape was this and when? i juss started hearing about it today.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I think the problem that people have with Pam is that Pam calls it like it is...and if the truth hurts then so be it......Keep on telling it like it is Pam.....!!! Yes, Martina is stubborn...and she wondered why she had GS failure for the last 3 years......Change your tactics and come in to the net.....

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
ditto shane!!!!

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
Pam calls things it like it is?

excuse me?

do you ever hear her comments? how many times she makes terrible mistakes, she doesn't even check the facts.

What has she said so accurate?, she is all Venus Williams this, Venus Williams that, she does not talk about any other player.

The only good thing Pam did in her life was to choose a great doubles parter like Martina Navratilova., but being Navratilova's friend doesn't make her wonderful.

And we can disagree in the assessment of what Pam says, but the fact remains, she said something, the authorities told her to apologize and she said a fake apology, that shows a very weak person. Until now, I had no respect for Pam Shriver as a commentator, now I have no respect for her as a person.

People criticize McEnroe, you can agree or disagree with him but at least he stands for what he says, and doesn't give lame apologies showing she is even a worse person than a commentator.

·
25,428 Posts
Pammy IS biased against Hingis. Agreed. And? So? That hardly makes her a B*tch.

As for Pammy "apologizing" for being harsh on Hingis, or ESPN getting on her case, you just don't know Pam if you believe that;)
For one, she is just as secure at ESPN as Chris Evert is in her job.
What you "heard" was a sarcastic Shriver, who obviously has READ some of the e-mails(unlike many a broadcaster) having a little verbal battle with Drysdale, who is just as obviously a bit biased FOR Hingis.

·
Banned
692 Posts
She is very Biased agasint Hingis no doubt about that. People here are very shallow. saying Martina is stubbor etc etc etc, She aint stubborn coz of her serve, next thing u will say she aint a volleyer coz she didint hit one over the net. She likes playing her uniqe sence of style and she said she will never be a power junkie. and i think good on her, coz there are other ways to beat a power junkie,

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Pam is fine as a commentator.

The Hingis fans need to lighten up. If Pam is biased AGAINST Martina, how about Evert FOR Hingis, it's a 2 way street.

Pam is right, Martina is stubborn, her record over the last few years say that.

All players have commentators biased against them, like Masur AGAINST Dokic.

Get over it.

Billie Jean is the most unbiased commentator IMO.

·
Registered
314 Posts
For one, she is just as secure at ESPN as Chris Evert is in her job.
I wouldn't be so sure about that. ESPN is definitely not NBC. ESPN needs all the audience they can get. Right now they are happy to get a million people to watch tennis and those are REAL tennis fans (especially at this tournament). They don't want to alienate fans and if enough tennis fans show their displeasure for Ms. Shriver you can bet she won't be in the booth too much longer.:rolleyes: She's really not that good.

I'm sure the producer suggested that Shriver give some sort of apology for her bashing of Hingis. It's not wrong for a commentator to say negative things about a player but I do think Shriver went too far. She just overdid it in the case of Hingis.

I want to point out that I'm not now, nor have I ever been, a Martina Hingis fan. So I think I'm unbiased. I mean, I was very happy when Steffi beat her at the French in 1999 but I don't think that needed to be brought up as often as it was brought up by Shriver. I also don't particularly like Martina's game but I think it can be criticized in a more professional way by someone who is supposed to be commentator. I just think the entire episode showed how unprofessional Shriver is. She's really a lousy commentator. Far worse than Chrissy, and that's saying something.:eek:

·
25,428 Posts
Essielewis-Have you thought about how people HATING Pam is actually GOOD for ESPN? People love to watch those they dislike. Controversy often actually helps ratings. Ditto for all the whining about Jon Wertheim. Betcha it gets his site more hits:) If Pammy REALLY felt sorry(or afraid for her job) her voice wouldn't have had the sarcastic edge it did. If ESPN was truly listening to tennis fans, the first thing they would do is show more live tennis. A few Hingis fans moaning about Shriver,or Clijsters fans moaning about Evert, or Venus fans moaning about Martina Navratilova, aren't going to keep any of those 3 out of the booth.

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
Well, I live in the wrong country to get ESPN & Pam's commentary, so I gotta ask: what exactly did Pam say that she's apologising for?

We get Pam over here for Wimbledon commentary, & I quite like her. She has a personality and opinions unlike (for example) Virginia Wade.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts