Tennis Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Errani plays Pliskova next. That's going to be interesting. Big serve vs no serve. No movement vs good movement. Probably gonna be a shit show.
No movement is too harsh. She can, and does, move, but is far better than many other players at assessing which shots she can actually reach without wasting energy and/or looking like a complete dropkick. Both she and Karolina pull off marvellous returns because of this - even if people don't see them very often.

As for "a shit show?" Quite possibly. :D But I'll still be watching.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Nice win for Kris, I'm sure I read somewhere that when she was younger that she was the better of the sisters.

Maybe she's taking longer to realise her ability, certainly with her serve, she should be winning more, great win anyway.
Yeah ,Kristyna won the last match she played against Karolina by a point ,in a great match so I suppose she still is. Good win coz Marria obviously fight hard.Maybe the Pliskova's practiced against each other in the time off.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Nice win for Kris, I'm sure I read somewhere that when she was younger that she was the better of the sisters.
She won Junior Wimbledon the same year (2010) that Karolina won the Junior Australian Open. I don't think there was really much between them at that age, and I've always been puzzled about the way that their senior careers haven't gone in the same sort of parallel way.

Maybe she's taking longer to realise her ability, certainly with her serve, she should be winning more, great win anyway.
I've always said that she has the most beautiful serve on tour. Her stats are pretty good, too.

·
Registered
410 Posts
The only explanation needed for the difference in the twins as they entered the adult tour is that one of them developed a game suited to their build and the other really didn't. Both of them move awfully and both have an adequate backhand, but Karolina can protect those weaknesses by dictating to her opponents with her extremely heavy and flat forehand. Kristyna's forehand is too loopy, so she has no tool in her ground game to grab or maintain control of a rally. She has to rely on either landing in a first serve and quickly finishing the point, or going for too much on the return. This makes her more error-prone than her sister, whose weapons are more potent and therefore can be employed in a more relaxed way. Kristyna does have great touch, but it's tough to make use of touch when you don't have the movement to extend rallies. Karolina has great touch too, anyway, so it's hardly a differentiator for Kris.

Kristyna's been ranked as high as #35 so she could be a better player than she currently is, but her game just doesn't make sense and it's impressive that she was ever as high as #35 given that. Karolina was wise to commit fully to being an immobile laser-firing turret in the middle of the court, while Kristyna's shot selection looks much more suited to a retriever. If she had just developed a left-handed version of her sister's forehand, there's no doubt that she'd be elite too. Unfortunately it's far too late to ever reasonably flatten that shot out now.

·
Registered
10,559 Posts
The only explanation needed for the difference in the twins as they entered the adult tour is that one of them developed a game suited to their build and the other really didn't. Both of them move awfully and both have an adequate backhand, but Karolina can protect those weaknesses by dictating to her opponents with her extremely heavy and flat forehand. Kristyna's forehand is too loopy, so she has no tool in her ground game to grab or maintain control of a rally. She has to rely on either landing in a first serve and quickly finishing the point, or going for too much on the return. This makes her more error-prone than her sister, whose weapons are more potent and therefore can be employed in a more relaxed way. Kristyna does have great touch, but it's tough to make use of touch when you don't have the movement to extend rallies. Karolina has great touch too, anyway, so it's hardly a differentiator for Kris.

Kristyna's been ranked as high as #35 so she could be a better player than she currently is, but her game just doesn't make sense and it's impressive that she was ever as high as #35 given that. Karolina was wise to commit fully to being an immobile laser-firing turret in the middle of the court, while Kristyna's shot selection looks much more suited to a retriever. If she had just developed a left-handed version of her sister's forehand, there's no doubt that she'd be elite too. Unfortunately it's far too late to ever reasonably flatten that shot out now.
Excellent post (y)

21 - 27 of 27 Posts