Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ironically enough, even though this was Kristina's first "serious" match (aside of few semi-serious exhibitions), this was her cleanest performance since forever after few months of no tournaments.

Very solid perfomance.

Sakkari's rust had rust.

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
Sakkari surely trained hard for crossfit during lockdown... didn't watch that promising tennis player tonight !

Owned by leftie plis on slow Palermo clay... the twin was rock solid on serve as expected

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
I thought Kris played some of the best tennis I've ever seen from her in those exhibitions, even when she lost to Strycova and Siniakova. Even though she only served three aces today, she won 81% of her first serve points. That's a stat which will always be hard to overcome if the percentage of first serves in play is at all reasonable.

"Rock solid" on serve was a good description, whereas Sakkari struggled at times. Kris breaking serve in the first game of each set was a huge advantage, and the way she used her power to save all of the break points against her was awesome. They both did well to stay awake, not starting until 12.39 am and finishing at 2.07. That's brutal!

The second round matchup will be more than interesting - there's certainly a huge contrast in styles between her and Errani. :D

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Nice win for Kris, I'm sure I read somewhere that when she was younger that she was the better of the sisters.

Maybe she's taking longer to realise her ability, certainly with her serve, she should be winning more, great win anyway.

·
Registered
8,992 Posts
Looks like those exhibitions helped Kris get all that rhythm on her serve! Sad for Maria but the match quality wasn't TOO bad considering the long time off and the late start and finish, this was a relatively tough R1 draw.

Next round is going to be such a contrast between serves lol. I really have no idea how to predict it.

·
Registered
6,749 Posts
I thought Kris played some of the best tennis I've ever seen from her in those exhibitions, even when she lost to Strycova and Siniakova. Even though she only served three aces today, she won 81% of her first serve points. That's a stat which will always be hard to overcome if the percentage of first serves in play is at all reasonable.

"Rock solid" on serve was a good description, whereas Sakkari struggled at times. Kris breaking serve in the first game of each set was a huge advantage, and the way she used her power to save all of the break points against her was awesome. They both did well to stay awake, not starting until 12.39 am and finishing at 2.07. That's brutal!

The second round matchup will be more than interesting - there's certainly a huge contrast in styles between her and Errani. :D
That was Kris' strategy, as she'd won the toss and elected to receive.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Damn... wasn't expecting Sakkari to lose this one but great job by Kris!

·
Registered
11,740 Posts
Pliskova has an eye pleasing game when she’s on. Wasn’t expecting her to win today but I’m glad she did.

·
Banned
2,731 Posts
Expected result. Now, watch Vondrousova fall today.

Reactions: AwonderfulKiwi

·
Registered
60 Posts
Full credit to Pliskova, but there was no need for this match to START at 12:30am. Could have easily been moved to Tuesday.
it was 28° at midnight during Paolini vs Kasatkina...
trust me, it's much better to play at 12:30 am for the player's healty.
Today it will be around 36/37°

·
Registered
10,559 Posts
Those warm-up exhos in Czechia really helped against a rusty Greek. That's one of the benefits of coming from a tennis country.
It seems that Maria is an outlier in Greece, as there is no other Greek player in TOP 250. Maybe her success may inspire others.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Those warm-up exhos in Czechia really helped against a rusty Greek. That's one of the benefits of coming from a tennis country.
It seems that Maria is an outlier in Greece, as there is no other Greek player in TOP 250. Maybe her success may inspire others.
What about Valentini Grammatikopoulou? She's near enough at 297. There hasn't really been an outstanding Greek female tennis player since the lovely Eleni Danilodou was at her peak.

One of the fascinating tidbits from this week is that Sakkari had been training for the 100 metres dash at the Greek Athletics Championships if Palermo had been cancelled. Apparently she can run the distance in 12.7 seconds without spikes or starting blocks (using tennis shoes? :D). Presumably using the proper gear would knock at least a second off that time. It still wouldn't be near the Greek record (10.83 seconds), but it's still more than respectable - and, I would guess, quicker than just about every other player on the tennis circuits.

·
Banned
2,731 Posts
Errani plays Pliskova next. That's going to be interesting. Big serve vs no serve. No movement vs good movement. Probably gonna be a shit show.

Reactions: PLP

·
Registered
10,559 Posts
What about Valentini Grammatikopoulou? She's near enough at 297. There hasn't really been an outstanding Greek female tennis player since the lovely Eleni Danilodou was at her peak.

One of the fascinating tidbits from this week is that Sakkari had been training for the 100 metres dash at the Greek Athletics Championships if Palermo had been cancelled. Apparently she can run the distance in 12.7 seconds without spikes or starting blocks (using tennis shoes? :D). Presumably using the proper gear would knock at least a second off that time. It still wouldn't be near the Greek record (10.83 seconds), but it's still more than respectable - and, I would guess, quicker than just about every other player on the tennis circuits.
Very interesting, she really looks very sporty. She's chosen wisely though, as tennis pays better any other women's sport.
BTW, I just saw a TV report from a popular seaside resort in Greece and it surprised me how many young women were smoking and just lounging in cafés doing nothing. Maybe it's too hot there for any relevant sport activity ;)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts