Tennis Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this the first double bagel on tour this year? Grey and EWS had many chances in both sets to get on the board. I was surprised to see them here instead of Prague on hard courts last week.

I am sure they are happy to be off the clay for awhile.

Reactions: Luca Van Diesel

·
Registered
10,959 Posts
The two double faults from Beth in the first game (which they would have held otherwise) set the tone. An absolute mess of a match which I really thought they had a chance in.

·
Registered
13,106 Posts
The two double faults from Beth in the first game (which they would have held otherwise) set the tone. An absolute mess of a match which I really thought they had a chance in.
They were quite good at Wimbledon

This is a shocking scoreline despite the change of surface, just one of those days I guess.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
So many 30-30 points that just didn’t go their way :( EWS was struggling at the net today, which is usually her strongest part of the court.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Grey got to an ITF semi last week, needs to drop EWS ASAP.
final* actually.. beth has great ground strokes and when feeling confident served and volleys very well. with a consistent big hitting partner could climb very high in the rankings. always thought her and ews were a bit of a weird combination in playing styles

·
Registered
10,959 Posts
final* actually.. beth has great ground strokes and when feeling confident served and volleys very well. with a consistent big hitting partner could climb very high in the rankings. always thought her and ews were a bit of a weird combination in playing styles
I think it was just that with them both preferring the backhand return, in order to make an all-GB pair for the grass this was what worked if she and Eden were no longer partnering. And they played great doubles and should have won their match at Wimbledon (Beth got quite tight serving for it and at *5-4 in the tiebreak - she was so solid up to that point and Em was playing the best I've seen since for a long time).

This match was a total mess though, but there was no indication in the first game this was where it was going. I know I mentioned the two doubles which were the reason they got broken, but they also played a couple of good points and were 0-30 up in Bucsa's first service game. Win the deuce point in that opening game and things look different straight away.

Gotta just park it, order a bottle of wine at the hotel, and move on. This stuff happens, but it was a good looking draw, I don't rate Sizikova and Bucsa plays no doubles, so a real waste. Yana couldn't have thrown any games even if she'd wanted to.

There was no sign of illness/injury, so hopefully it was just a nightmare day at the office, and not something off court that affected them this evening.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Grey got to an ITF semi last week, needs to drop EWS ASAP.
It was actually Grey who let the team down at Wimbledon….

Should have beaten the CZE team
I watched the match too and they were equally to blame. Grey’ returning in the final set was poor as was Emily’s serving. Emily kept leaving far too big a space in her tramlines too,was constantly passed. Was a shame as they could’ve won and it would’ve been a lovely win for them.

·
Registered
475 Posts
who would have thought sizikova could dish out a double bagel must be a first

·
Stanning for Andi
21,547 Posts
Is this the first double bagel on tour this year? Grey and EWS had many chances in both sets to get on the board. I was surprised to see them here instead of Prague on hard courts last week.

I am sure they are happy to be off the clay for awhile.
McNally-Baptiste served up a double bagel in the WTA 250 in Charleston.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Why oh why does Emily do this to herself week after week? I mean it must be nice to travel the world, see places the average person never gets to see. But to be constantly routed on a fairly routine basis, personally I would just want to get in the shower and scream as loud as I can. I just don’t understand the logic, but it’s a great “gig” if you can get it.

·
Registered
10,959 Posts
Why oh why does Emily do this to herself week after week? I mean it must be nice to travel the world, see places the average person never gets to see. But to be constantly routed on a fairly routine basis, personally I would just want to get in the shower and scream as loud as I can. I just don’t understand the logic, but it’s a great “gig” if you can get it.
I actually understand it more now than a few years ago to be honest. She still thinks she can get better, and she enjoys it. But also, she actively schedules up, so rather than slogging out 25ks every week which is more her level, she tries to play the biggest event she can.

Whilst that's a bit risky as it leads to things like this week, with doubles only using best of 11 I suppose the theory is you only need a few wins and your ranking keeps steady.

But more so, at 37, why not go to the event where you can practice with the better players, play on better courts, enjoy better facilities and treatment than you get on ITFs. It might not be doing much for her ranking, but maybe just as an experience it means she feels she is still enjoying and learning it all. You only get one life I guess, even if she retires this year, or at 40, it's still a long time not being a pro.

She's not funded, not got much money, uses what she has wisely having built up friendships and contacts over the years. So use these last few years to experience life among the top players, and visiting the tournaments and places you really love (India, I guess she'll try to get into Landisville, no doubt she'll be desperate to get back to Gifu).

I'd rather she wasn't putting herself in the position of getting results like this, but leaving aside there's not much option than toiling on clay most of the time since the restart last autumn, I sort of get why, if that makes sense?

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I actually understand it more now than a few years ago to be honest. She still thinks she can get better, and she enjoys it. But also, she actively schedules up, so rather than slogging out 25ks every week which is more her level, she tries to play the biggest event she can.

Whilst that's a bit risky as it leads to things like this week, with doubles only using best of 11 I suppose the theory is you only need a few wins and your ranking keeps steady.

But more so, at 37, why not go to the event where you can practice with the better players, play on better courts, enjoy better facilities and treatment than you get on ITFs. It might not be doing much for her ranking, but maybe just as an experience it means she feels she is still enjoying and learning it all. You only get one life I guess, even if she retires this year, or at 40, it's still a long time not being a pro.

She's not funded, not got much money, uses what she has wisely having built up friendships and contacts over the years. So use these last few years to experience life among the top players, and visiting the tournaments and places you really love (India, I guess she'll try to get into Landisville, no doubt she'll be desperate to get back to Gifu).

I'd rather she wasn't putting herself in the position of getting results like this, but leaving aside there's not much option than toiling on clay most of the time since the restart last autumn, I sort of get why, if that makes sense?
It does, and I appreciate you taking the time to reply. I understand what you are saying regarding life on the WTA tour as opposed to life playing ITF events. I was told the WTA texts you when you are supposed to show up and play, as opposed to the ITF where they post the playing times and players are held more responsible for finding out which court and at what time they need to show up. So I imagine this gives her a shot at playing in the “major leagues” as opposed to the “minor leagues”. It all makes sense to me now. I don’t know how I would feel about telling my loved ones back home that I just lost 6-0, 6-0 but hey, the paycheck is a heck of a lot better. Thanks for responding!

·
Registered
10,884 Posts
Can't imagine what Vondrusova's level must have been in that Wimby match.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts