Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Rise up from ignorance
17,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Almost three hours on clay. Yastremska blows 2 MP at 5-4 second set. Match ends at 1:30 am CET.

I missed those dramas even if watching Giorgi is bad for your health!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Tennis is saved. Giorgi vs Ferro will be a fun match to watch. Giorgi's has excellent highs this week but Ferro has played so smart and solid. Very happy to see at least one Italian in the Palermo semis and looking forward to seeing either Giorgi or Ferro in the final.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
The level of play really increased from the tail end of the second set. Giorgi started to match Yastremska from the back of the court, and served better. While the a average point length was short, some of the slightly extended rallies were quite spellbinding. Neither player are keen on breaking up the rhythm or using a lot of variety, it’s all rapid-fire shot making.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
That was gripping stuff, some of the rallies and hitting late in the match were enormous.

Only saw it from halfway in set 2, but Dayana didn't do much wrong on her match points, camila just played them great as mentioned above.

When you get a close up of Camila, she looks like a porcelain doll, almost break into pieces if she fell over, HOWEVER, she hit's the shit out of the ball, and her timing when on, like this week is unstoppable.

Could she have found the recipe for consistency, or will she just flatter to deceive like she often does, because her best is very very good indeed.
Dayana will rue her missed opportunity here, however her game coming back from lockdown looks in pretty good shape. I expect a good effort next week in Prague.

·
Registered
16,117 Posts
There's always a trade off, when you trade your ball bashing skills for consistency during big moments you lose that skill to go for it when it matters

·
Registered
19,834 Posts
That's my girl! Fantastic result. :)

Reactions: amyd_1989

·
Registered
72 Posts
I thought Dayana ran out of gas a bit in the 3rd. Was not chasing the balls she would have in the 1st and 2nd. Pretty awesome match all in all. Aggressive tennis from both at a high level and very close, could have gone either way.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Dayana’s serve really let her down in the third. She seemed to double fault at the absolute worst times. Good playing by Camila though.

·
Registered
4,931 Posts
Great shotmaking but overall hard to get immersed in. The vast majority of rallies were 3 shots or less. These two just go for broke on everything.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Great shotmaking but overall hard to get immersed in. The vast majority of rallies were 3 shots or less. These two just go for broke on everything.
Not in those two really long games in the second set! There were several rallies that got close to double figures (if not more).

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
I didn't see the final set because I was travelling, but there's one observation I made earlier in the week (and a couple of other posters have made similar comments): these courts are so slow it's unreal. Absolute proof this morning, when both Giorgi and Yastremska were standing on the baseline, or only just behind, to receive serves coming at over 160 km/h - and a metre INSIDE when receiving second serves. This wasn't just once or twice - this was all the way through the first two sets.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts