Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Better player won.

I like Fiona’s game. I’m curious as to how she is on hard courts.

Anett should be fined for that performance. Served for the second at 5-3. Honestly, only had that lead because of a small lapse in concentration from Ferro at 3 all.

Reactions: Matmagix

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
Ferro played very well throughout the week and it's well deserved but Kontaveit should really be doing better, mostly mentally.

·
Banned
86,106 Posts
Reactions: ziggy2shus3

·
Registered
11,736 Posts
Ferro was a player who hovered around the top 200 mark for 3 or so years before she slowly climbed inside the top 100. She’s improved a lot since cracking the top 100 and is now knocking on the door of top 40.

She doesn’t seem to do anything special but she is very solid, is very fit and seems calm during the big points.

Kontaveit is now 1-5 in finals, which is fitting considering she is the definition of streaky.

1st week of WTA return was a success - the tournament completed successfully without any disruptions. Great to see.

·
Registered
31,691 Posts
Ferro, Garcia, Parmentier and Cornet have all won a title since Mladenovic's last title in 2017. Fiona will be one to watch for in Paris especially if she becomes the French number one in the weeks ahead.

·
Registered
13,776 Posts
91 winners combined in two sets on this slow-ass (even by clay standards) court. Beautiful stuff all around.

Congrats to Fiona. She has improved a lot. Definitely did not peg her as a future multi-WTA title winner a few years back.

·
Registered
114,058 Posts
The first winner since before Indian Wells! Very important that each event goes smoothly. Now 2 events next week, then the bigger events
So far, excellent!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Ferro was a player who hovered around the top 200 mark for 3 or so years before she slowly climbed inside the top 100. She’s improved a lot since cracking the top 100 and is now knocking on the door of top 40.

She doesn’t seem to do anything special but she is very solid, is very fit and seems calm during the big points.
If Ferro ever becomes a top 10 player she will be crucified on here for being basic, but her game is very good in my opinion. She has really excellent rally tolerance (without relying on puff balls), moves quite well, can go for winners on both sides, can hit loopy or flat, and has a solid serve. I don't see much touch in her game but otherwise she does a bit of everything quite well - just nothing exceptionally. And, as you point out, she seems calm and ready to fight too.

She had a somewhat lucky run here between Alexandrova looking hampered and Giorgi being exhausted but I would have given her a chance against everyone she ran into anyway. Outside of Errani, it was lots of streaky bashers, and Ferro's solidity was always going to give her a chance there. She's looking great after lockdown and it's a good thing she is because France needs somebody to carry the flag.

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
First of all - it is simply wonderful to have an actual WTA event being played again. Only one player tested positive prior to the start of the event, and otherwise the event ran without issues. A success all around.

A missed opportunity for the Estonian Mynx, but she was outplayed today. Ferro is a very solid player and is not a drama queen like many of the French players (such as Cornet, Mladenovic; Paire and Moutet on the men's side). She could be a dark horse for a deep run at Roland Garros.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Thought might get our second Estonian winner at Palmermo but wasn't to be. Nettu hung on valiantly but that's all she was doing all match really.

Tournament seemed to go pretty well all things considered.Well done to the organisers for taking it on.(y) (y)

Very solid performance by Ferro in all her matches I watched.

Remains to be seen on a bigger stage of course but the calmness she showed this week was also interesting. May not be the most flashy, but would surely be a nice change for the home fans at RG to have a player who didn't defeat themselves every time they played there.:p

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Great week and great final for Ferro! Loving her game. Congrats on a second title! I'm curious to see if she can keep this level up. I wonder what will happen to her in Prague and other future tourneys.

Nettu was decent, she had some great winners, but the excellent defending and rallying from Fiona drew a ton of errors from her as well. Must be disappointing for her to lose yet another final. Still only 1 title. She seems like a solid ball striker on both wings with some good scalps in the past, but something is missing.

·
Premium Member
63,215 Posts
Congrats Fiona! :)
Really impressive results from her this week!

Reactions: Andrew brown-

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Good job Fiona! She's got a great game for clay. It's been so good to have pro tennis back this week. I've missed it so much. It seems to have gone without many hitches too. The organisers did well.

·
Registered
18,426 Posts
I like Fiona’s game. I’m curious as to how she is on hard courts.
Her best results have definitely come from clay, but she reached the 3R of the USO last year so for sure, she prefers the slower surfaces. (She did not win a single MD match on grass last year.)

I'm pleasantly by how well she rose to the occasion when she was down in the second. Her game is quite good on clay but still too "soft." I mean, Girogi was feasting on it yesterday. I think she really needs to be more purposeful with her overall shot selection to avoid that kind of vulnerability.

But this was obviously a great tournament for he.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
No WTA tournament for 5 months and several hours after it finishes, we’re just filling up the first page of the thread. I understand why the rule of all new threads needing approval was brought in but bloody hell it doesn’t bode well for this place. The moment sort of passes when the thread isn’t up and running quickly!

Anyway well done Fiona and to Nettu as well, impressive W-UE ratios on clay for both and at least tennis in some respect is the winner, as we’ve completed a tournament :)

Although, you can bet that WTA want Serena and Simona to win their tournaments next week, to bring them good publicity with bigger names winning :D

1 - 20 of 45 Posts