Tennis Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Allowing the ITF players in the Palermo and Jumala events has led to upsets and more upsets.
Most of the big guns of the WTA are working on their suntans this week, which has allowed the ITF no names an opportunity.
Is this evidence of great depth in women's pro tennis?
-
Upsets
Bara #213 ..........def Gasparyan #57 (ret)
Badosa #119...... def Parmentier #80
Ivakhnenko #228 def Cirstea #96
Kawa #194......... def Bonaventure #109
Tig #264 ............def Raina #191
Fett #316 ...........def Maria #71
Kalinina #139..... def Siniakova #41
Stojanovic #209.. def Sasnovich #42
Tig #264............ def Kalinina # 139
Paquet #156....... def Garcia #22
Samsonova #144 def Zidansek #56
Friedsam #280... def Cornet #53
Rus #130 .......... def Kuzmova #49
Paolini #142 .......def Begu #100
Samsonova #144.def Ferro #75
Kawa #194..........def Pera #74
teichmann #82.....def Bertens #5

·
Registered
9,140 Posts
Friedsam no name??

Her highest ranking was nb. 46 before her long injury. She reached 4th round at the Australian Open (2016) for example, or WTA-final in Linz (2015) - semi-final Shenzhen (2016) or the win at WTA Challenger Suzhou.

So you cannot compare her to players like Fett, Paquet and so on :angel:.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Friedsam no name??

Her highest ranking was nb. 46 before her long injury. She reached 4th round at the Australian Open (2016) for example, or WTA-final in Linz (2015) - semi-final Shenzhen (2016) or the win at WTA Challenger Suzhou.

Just looking at their current ranking
Friedsam coming back from two shoulder surgeries and winning again is remarkable.
Tig coming back from giving birth is also remarkable.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Friedsam no name??

Yes, and also, to be fair, Cornet finished her almost 3 hour match past midnight the day before, after traveling straight from Palermo and losing her luggage...
This and the fact that Friedsam is a pretty good player, the result is not that surprising.

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
Think that's good for tipsters who want to buy a new sport car, take big odds !

i must admit, maybe 2 or 3 percent of wta results are difficult to predict even for me !

in all humility, I would never have taken Paquet to beat Garcia, or Davis to beat Kerber recently

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
Allowing the ITF players in the Palermo and Jumala events has led to upsets and more upsets.
Most of the big guns of the WTA are working on their suntans this week, which has allowed the ITF no names an opportunity.
-
Upsets
I understand what you mean, but dear your exemples are terrible :SNE:

just Paquet to beat Garcia... i really cant explain ( or maybe, two french agreement ? Garcia has no business to play a small tournament on clay ! realise it's better to focus on hard like all the top player... )

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Not wanting to further nit pick, but Badosa beating Parmentier is also not really a huge upset either. Badosa is slowly getting her act together and PPs current ranking of 80 and 750 points is largely boosted by winning another post-slam event, Quebec City (which I love / loved), without having to beat one player with a 2 digit ranking. If, hypothetically, she withdrew from that for whatever reason and replaced it with her next counter of 18, then she'd be outside the top 125 (and below Badosa).

Agree in general though, a lot of unfamiliar players are getting chances they normally wouldn't, and a lot are taking them.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
-
Upsets
I understand what you mean, but dear your exemples are terrible

just Paquet to beat Garcia... i really cant explain ( or maybe, two french agreement ? Garcia has no business to play a small tournament on clay ! realise it's better to focus on hard like all the top player... )
Even Paquet over Garcia though... they have played twice before including that French Open match where Chloe gave her a run for her money. She had never won set but both matches were pretty competitive. So given Garcia’s current level, I knew Paquet had a chance.

·
Registered
6,815 Posts
Pretty short-sighted to take a player's ranking as the only indicator of an "upset". Sure these are all upsets on paper but most of them aren't even that surprising. The gap between a player ranked 75 and 150 isn't that big in the first place, and especially not when you take into account form, matchup, fatigue, whether the lower-ranked player is a young player on the rise etc.

Bara #213 ..........def Gasparyan #57 (ret) - injury played a role, obviously
Badosa #119...... def Parmentier #80 - Parmentier's in dreadful form and Badosa's a former top junior who will wind up with a better career
Ivakhnenko #228 def Cirstea #96 - OK this one was a surprise, more because Ivakhnenko (who I don't see at WTA level ever) won than the perennially overrated Cirstea lost
Tig #264 ............def Raina #191 - this would have been a bombshell result had it gone the other way, surely you weren't surprised by this?
Fett #316 ...........def Maria #71 - have you seen Maria's clay results lately? And we know Fett can play at a top 100 level despite her slump
Kalinina #139..... def Siniakova #41 - this was also a surprise, Kalinina hasn't played well this year, but she's good enough that I see her in the top 100 eventually and Siniakova can make a mess of literally any match tbh
Stojanovic #209.. def Sasnovich #42 - Sasnovich on a big losing streak, Stojanovic on a big winning streak
Tig #264............ def Kalinina # 139 - again Tig's ranking isn't reflective of her level at the moment at all
Paquet #156....... def Garcia #22 - yeah, this was the upset of the week, awful loss from Garcia
Samsonova #144 def Zidansek #56 - pretty big upset too but Samsonova is a lot better than her ranking
Friedsam #280... def Cornet #53 - Friedsam is a former top 50 player and Cornet was obviously affected by losing her bags, fatigue after reaching the final last week
Rus #130 .......... def Kuzmova #49 - more surprised that Rus won than Kuzmova lost
Paolini #142 .......def Begu #100 - Begu's had a pretty bad year and I always consider her somewhat vulnerable to lower-ranked players anyway
Samsonova #144.def Ferro #75 - there was really nothing between them skill-wise at all

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ITF Kawa def WTA Pera.
It appears that the WTA players can't handle the ITF players.
Do the results from this week show great dept in women's tennis?

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
An unbelievable week of upsets in the two tournaments, at Palermo and the Batic open.
17 upsets by my count, although GoldFangs may have a different count.
The week of upsets was finished with Teichmann #82 beating #5 Bertens, and #194 Kawa almost upsetting #11 Sevastova.
A lot of ITF players did very well and a number of WTA players looked like scrubs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts