Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
16,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ISLAMABAD
The Latest on the hearing before Pakistan's Supreme Court on the final appeal of Christian woman on death row for blasphemy (all times local):

4:20 p.m.

Pakistan's Supreme Court has postponed its ruling on a final appeal by a Christian woman on death row since 2010 on charges of blasphemy.

The judicial panel listened to Asia Bibi's defense lawyer challenge statements by those who accused her of insulting Islam's prophet, an allegation that can incite riots in conservative Pakistan.

On a hot day in 2009, Bibi went to get water for her and her fellow farmworkers. After she took a sip, some of the Muslim women became angry that a Christian had drunk from the same container. They demanded she convert, she refused. Five days later, a mob accused her of blasphemy. She was convicted and sentenced to death.

The three-judge panel led by Chief Justice Mian Saqib Nisar did not indicate on Monday when the court would announce its ruling.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/nation-world/world/article219658920.html

·
Registered
16,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Where are the "moderates" on this? Are they marching? Are they asking to free her? NOPE. They all agree that whoever says non flattering things about their man deserves to die. So they sit and wait and wish for this woman to be put to death.

·
Blighted and solo
43,935 Posts
The religion of peace :hearts:

·
Registered
19,643 Posts
It is ridiculous. Shouldn't love for fellow humanity come first?

Contrast to John 4.

·
Registered
16,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
It is ridiculous. Shouldn't love for fellow humanity come first?
Contrast to John 4.
They will tell you only a few extremists blow up people or chop their heads off.

You are going to tell me those judges who found this woman guilty and sentenced her to death are all members of Al Qaeda?

Those are your "moderate" muslisms, guys; the people of peace..,

I repeat, there is no such thing as a Moderate muslim. There are instead, 2 kinds of mulisms: the courageous and the cowards. They all agree that anyone that insult their prophet should be put to death. ALL of them agree on that. But only the courageous ones will execute that order to kill. The cowards will stand in silence, rejoicing inside and waiting for the courageous one to do the killing.

Now watch them come after me with death threats.
If this was about Jesus, the Christians would say, "let's pray for this woman who doesn't know Jesus". Not "let's kill this woman."

·
Registered
19,643 Posts
They will tell you only a few extremists blow up people or chop their heads off.

You are going to tell me those judges who found this woman guilty and sentenced her to death are all members of Al Qaeda?

Those are your "moderate" muslisms, guys; the people of peace..,

I repeat, there is no such thing as a Moderate muslim. There are instead, 2 kinds of mulisms: the courageous and the cowards. They all agree that anyone that insult their prophet should be put to death. ALL of them agree on that. But only the courageous ones will execute that order to kill. The cowards will stand in silence, rejoicing inside and waiting for the the courageous one to do the killing.

Now watch them come after me with death threats.
If this was about Jesus, the Christians would say, "let's pray for this woman who doesn't know Jesus". Not "let's kill her."
In those countries predominantly run by Islam, that tends to be an issue, especially among developing countries. An Islamic expert once spoke about Shariah law and said that those countries actually didn't have adequate provisions to fully follow Shariah law so that it is fair, that is to say they aren't doing it properly. Those living in the West probably have it better, they can practise their religion freely and see the culture around them without the tough constraints of the government or Shariah law.

The irony here is that the woman is bring treated the same way Jesus was. He was labelled a blasphemer and executed by jealous religious leaders. More likely they just didn't like her because she had different beliefs, was offended she drunk from their well, possibly 'defiling' it and made up this story to get her.

·
Registered
16,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
See? no "moderate" muslim on this message board to defend this woman. Total SILENCE. Because they all agree she must be killed.
So now you have your confirmation. Don't let them fool you with their "oh it's only a few extremists. most muslims are moderate... blah blah blah" ...
Biggest lie and deception.

·
Adrenaline junkie
22,948 Posts
To add to this - two Pakistani polithicians - one Muslim and one Christian - tried to defend her. Both got assassinated very quick.
But the country is still our good ally in war against terror, right?

·
Registered
57,323 Posts

·
Adrenaline junkie
22,948 Posts
She was acquitted by Supreme Court today. There is hope then. But hardliners are going nuts about that verdict.

·
Registered
8,207 Posts
Good to see there are at least some judges in the Supreme Court who went to college.

Wouldn't surprise me though this innocent woman will get lynched the moment they release her.

·
Art & Futures
20,430 Posts
ya'll need to think a little bit more.

liberal media pundits and average liberal citizens in other countries don't READILY talk about this kind of stuff a lot probably for multiple reasons

1) it is expected to happen in such a country/environment.
2) they live in another country, particularly a non-Western country. people, particularly Americans, tend to be oblivious of extra-national affairs AND there is less association for most people with the affairs of another country.
3) people understand that practice of religion is largely influenced by legal, cultural, and historical affairs. It's a lot more nuanced than Islam bad, non-Islam good.

if you look at academic liberals or liberals who work in international affairs though, they will talk about and actively work on these kinds of things. even everyday liberals will talk about these things in passing. so stop with your lame, poorly thought narratives. don't let media give all your talking points. it's toxic.

in other words, these kinds of things are more difficult for people in other countries to talk about because they feel it doesn't affect them directly (less motivation), don't feel like they really understand what's going on in these other countries (less knowledge), and have some expectation that these kinds of things happen (less surprise).

And so as another suggestion, if you actually want people (aka day-to-day liberals) to talk about this more, may I suggest the encouraging and awareness route, rather than the shaming route, because the shaming route is unnecessarily aggressive, and doesn't take into the account that there are a million issues that all people really do not talk about or consider when maybe they should in principle.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
in other words, these kinds of things are more difficult for people in other countries to talk about because they feel it doesn't affect them directly (less motivation), don't feel like they really understand what's going on in these other countries (less knowledge), and have some expectation that these kinds of things happen (less surprise).
That's how people who don't live in NA or EUW feel about USA. Trump in office has probably improved the viewership ratings a bit though.

·
Registered
16,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
To add to this - two Pakistani politicians - one Muslim and one Christian - tried to defend her. Both got assassinated very quick.
But the country is still our good ally in war against terror, right?
And the 3 Supreme Court judges that freed her today are in hiding. There was a mob going after them. It won't take long before they are assassinated too.
Last thing I heard is that she and her family where taken abroad. There is no way they can live in that country.

·
Registered
16,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
And so as another suggestion, if you actually want people (aka day-to-day liberals) to talk about this more, may I suggest the encouraging and awareness route, rather than the shaming route, because the shaming route is unnecessarily aggressive, and doesn't take into the account that there are a million issues that all people really do not talk about or consider when maybe they should in principle.
This's been going on for 700+ years. If they are not aware by now, they will never be. Shaming them is the only route. They behave like animals.

·
Registered
10,047 Posts
Good to see there are at least some judges in the Supreme Court who went to college.

Wouldn't surprise me though this innocent woman will get lynched the moment they release her.
I really hope not. Can't celebrate until they get Asia Bibi out the country. Everyone is aware of the danger so they will be planning get her out the country quickly before anyone gets to her and kills her. BTW I did hear she's shown signs of Dementia with her ordeal. What a dreadful thing they have done to her.

But on the subject of demonising all Muslims in this thread. Take a look at Salmaan Taseer. He was a very courageous Muslim and he lost his life working to secure Bibi's freedom.

It's easy to sit back and condemn all Muslims in their own safe country. This man who was a Muslim risked and lost his life!

And people demonising Christians. We should also remember another brave man - Shahbaz Bhatti. A Christian who also lost his life trying to secure Asia Bibi's freedom.

The religion attracts dreadful things committed in it's name. But there are a lot of good people who are Christians and Muslims in the world. But no words to describe the hell-hole and hate with this extremism in Pakistan.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts