Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

How in the cotten fields can the judges justify crowning the Russian pair skaters w/the gold medal? And what does their coach mean that for the last two Olympics this particular pair came in second w/only the silver medal? What does that have to do with the price of tea in China? The fact is - the Canadians skated the most flawless program. The Canadians were robbed plain and simple - IMO. All could clearly see that the Russian male skater did not come out of his jump cleanly. I tell ya!

Well - hopefully, the Canadians know within their hearts that they were the best - and maybe knowing that will give them some kind of consolation. Bless their hearts.

Btw, I'm sorry if this topic has already been posted.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
10,772 Posts
uh huh - that's lovely, but plonk it in the non-tennis thread, yeah? They've been arguing about the decisiong all day ... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
3,196 Posts
Pairs skating...whats that?;)

::waiting for this to be moved::

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Yeah the Canadians were robbed, Go Russia.

*also waiting for this to be moved*

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OOPS

I apologize for not checking the non-tennis thread. Please delete this thread instead of moving if moderator even wants to take the time to do either.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
I agree but IMO the worst has to be Ina and Zimmerman not being ahead of that other Russian pair. The Americans were TOTALLY rigged and I can't believe that they didn't even move a spot! That was one of the best pair performances I've ever seen!!...no matter to us Americans they won the gold in our hearts. :)

·
NeverWoz
27,565 Posts
I was so frustrated after watching that! The Canadians performed their best and were spectacular! The russians were iffy, the dud missing his mading on a triple. And even the Americans were all over the judges butts about it! Theres no way to justify what happened. Stupid European judges and their block voting.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Arantxa's #1 Fan said:
Pairs skating...whats that?;)

::waiting for this to be moved::
Why? I think its pretty relevant.

I can just see Martina now, on her rollerblades , zipping around the court, faster than ever! Anna could cover so much ground. :D SPICE GIRLS ON WHEELS.

Except the only thing is, its not the "Russian" pair (its only half Russian ;) ). Its the "adidas" pair!

·
Registered
17,358 Posts
GogoGirl, I thought the Canadian pair deserved to win. But the best team or skater doesn't always win. It's known that the Russian pair skated a more difficult routine. And in some peoples eyes, the Russians had superior artistry. This is what got them some of the judges votes. This is common in figure skating. And until they change the scoring system, this will continue to happen from time to time. And that's unfortunate.

·
Registered
19,356 Posts
:wavey:

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
I've heard a lot of suggestions today on how to fix this system. One I haven't head is to find and train qualified judges from countries that do not produce elite skaters, thus no national interest. I would guess Germany, England, Spain, and Italy would be good candidates. You could have up to 2 judges from any 1 country, instead of 1. Thus, all or nearly all the panel could be neutral.

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
African and South American judges would certainly be neutral Scotso, but you can't just train a judge from birth. At some point you are going to have to start from countries that have SOME skaters, even if they are on a lower level.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
As a Canadian I too was disappointed in the pairs result...but in retrospect..the Russian duo are excellent skaters..they did not win for technical merit (and rightly so, because the male did goof a landing) so Sele and Pelletier won that 4-3 but for presentation the Russian team edged the Canadians by one point I think! We have had enormous controversy here in Canada in support of the Canadians Sele and Pelletier...everybody sees the minor errors of the Russians and feel they should have been deducted more points for that failure than they did...but they did IMHO present a faster skating and better presented program than David and Jamie...alas! We would have like them to win but somehow..judges have leant towards the Russians all these 42 years....not brainwashed I don't think....the simple question of superior skating...and while I grieve for my Canadian team...give credit to the Russians for their victory :rolleyes: David and Jamie deserved a better fate but they had to earn that by getting from the judges better scores!!:p
barmaid:wavey:

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,053 Posts
I agree, it could go any way, but this is sport, and this is MINOR accident. We had judges "killing" team of Russian gymnasts in Atlanta to have USA team to win ( everyone here wanted it so badly ), no big deal. In Sydney, they made the tournament favourite Khorkina to vault over non-standard apparatus, not only nullifying her chances to win, but also risking serious injury..
Also nothing to talk about, really. What is that comparing to a couple of judges yesterday giving , what we think, marks wrong by 0.1? OK, now we talk corruption of judges in figure skating. Remember, these Games STARTED with Major Corruption when Americans bribed the IOC officials to get these Games at first place. Proved case. It is also nothing. Little accident. Just like New Zealand soccer federation representative stealing World Cup 2006 from South Africa with his single vote by strange decision to vote against what he was told to vote by his federation. It is also minor. Forgotten long ago. But these two criminals gave huge two extra 0.1 to wothless champions. That will be remembered forever. Right? Wrong.

·
Registered
28,582 Posts
Ys- if you think Canadian and American Media are just going to forget this - your wrong, and in a serious case of denial.

Furthermore, I find it a little disugsting that you try to justify this with the fact that other sporting events have been corrupted before.

So because of something that happened in other countries, a pair of Canadian skaters should feel alright with the fact that they got the short end of the stick?

Sorry, but it doesn't work that way. Not in my books.

·
Registered
756 Posts
So, if somebody from one country doesn't get what he or she deserves we have to take it from somebody else? If so, we could go on like this forever. this wouldn't help sports.

·
Registered
15,226 Posts
I'm totally with you on this one Becca... this isn't going to go away and two wrongs do not make a right... it's not Jamie and David's fault that whatever happened with gymnastics or soccer or whatever so they shouldn't be penlized for it.

Also I think that the technical marks for the two teams should have been close but Sale and Pelletier should of won that vote because they had a clean program and their level of difficulty was not so below the one of the russians that the judges could justify giving a clean program worse marks. As far as presentation I think Jamie and David are head and shoulders above the rest with Love Story... that program is beautiful... I've seen if more than a few times but every time I see it I feel like bursting into tears... I think the Russians only got such high marks because the judges could more easily justify making them win on presentation rather than technical

1 - 20 of 50 Posts