Friday: Singles Quarter-Finals

Saturday: Singles and Doubles Semi-Finals

Sunday: Singles and Doubles Finals

·
Registered
17,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Matt's Predictions

The Round of 32 has officially ended, and pretty much everything went as I expected it to. Some players are showing red hot form, some were lucky to scrape through their first round. The R16 will definately provide us with some blockbusters, as well as the usual routs by the top players. Here are my predictions for how things will shape up this round.

Anna Kournikova vs. Serena Williams: In theory I'd pick Anna to win this match, and she has won both previous encounters--including a tight three set battle in the semis here last year. However, the Russian seems busier than ever, and one really has to question her dedication to tennis. Though I think Williams CAN beat Anna, her own self doubt and occassional lack of effort will once again cause her to fall.

Final Prediction: Expect Anna to pull through on mental strength alone in three sets.

Marta Marrero vs. Alexandra Stevenson (USA): Both like to mix things up, but again I think Alex just does it better and more consistently. Marta was great at the beginning of the season, but has now lost four straight:eek: . She COULD pull out of her slump here, but I doubt it. Alex is a bit too consistent and level headed to lose IMHO.

Final Prediction: Stevenson in two

Kim Clijsters vs. Elena Dementieva: This is a real test for Elena. She is in grave danger of falling outside the top ten if she doesn't pull her act together fast. All she has to do is scout properly, and play to her ability, and the match is hers. Trouble is, she has had trouble coming up with the goods all year (mostly because of mental issues). This match could make or break her year.

Final Prediction: Dementieva in three tight sets

Dinara Safina vs. Daniela Hantuchova: Remember those romps I was talking about? Well this is (most likely) going to be one of them. Dani has too much game, and anything less than an easy victory would be insulting her talent level.

Final Prediction: Hantuchova in two sets

Jelena Dokic vs. Jennifer Capriati: Jelena beat Seles alot easier than I anticipated, and seems to have really caught some form. Then again, Jennifer has been playing her best tennis the past four weeks too. Still, with Capriati's injury, the timing seems right for Jelena to have the chance at an upset. Can she capitalize? Or will the favorite walk away the winner?

Final Prediction: Dokic in three

Amanda Coetzer vs. Elke Clijsters: As with the last round, this also should be an easy win for Elke. Unlike the last round, Elke will be the theoretical underdog (especially to the crowd). With those two things in mind, I really can't think of a reason to predict anything other than a victory for the Belgian.

Final Prediction: Amanda's struggles to continue as she exits in straight sets

Iva Majoli vs. Anna Smashnova: Anna's been looking mightily sharp lately--even better than when she was the no. 2 player in the world:eek: . ON the other hand, Iva hasn't had any big results in quite a while. Both girls have all the shots, it is really a matter of who is feeling confident, and who can execute better. Right now, I'd say that is Anna.

Final Prediction: Smashnova in three

Gabriela Sabatini vs. Martina Hingis: Martina is the queen of scouting, and she also has a nearly unbeatable strategy to fall back on if things go wrong. If she doesn't lose her head, she will win easily. However, her scouting has not been what it was this time last year, so Gaby does have an off chance--especially when her game is so hard to figure out:eek: .

Final Prediction: Hingis in two

My Look Ahead

Semi-Finals:
Hantuchova def. Kournikova
Hingis def. E. Clijsters

Finals:
Hingis def. Hantuchova

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
Martina arrived in Indian Wells to win

She was almost retired, tough her sponsers, tourdirector and fans changed her mind. But for how long? And what are her new goals? You can read it in this interview with Martina.

Welcome Martina, how is it with you?

Thnx. Yes everthing is alright with me. I took some days free after my early loss at Wimbledon to spend some days with family and friends. It were some difficult days. I already announced my retirement, but tough I changed my mind about that.

Yes, many people saw this already coming, but can you tell us for one more time why you would retire?

After almost three season at the top, I lost my motivation. I'm in the top 3 for almost 3 seasons and last season I reached finally my importants goal, winning my first tournament and grandslam the US Open. After that I reached final after final. My new goals were reaching #1 and stay constistend at the top. For some reasons this season became different than I thought before. My results in Down Under were dissapointment. Tough I won Rome, but after that my results became again dissapointing. Before Wimbledon I lost my motivation. I had no time anymore for tennis at this level. There were more things, and I didn't bother me anymore if I won or lost matches. So it would depend on Wimbledon, and I lost early. I thought that I would be dissapointing but it didn't bother me, so I thought why I should continue? I lost my motivation.

What changed your mind?

First of all, I didn't change my mind completely. I will finish this season and than I will most likely retire or I have to change my mind than. My coach and the fans and the tourdirector and sponsers begged me to continue. That changed my mind a little. I will still try to win as much as possible and the reach that #1.

So you will finish this season?

Yes, I will finish this season for sure and I will give all I have. If my results stay dissapointed and my motivation is still away than I will retire for sure after this season, if not maybe I will still continue.

What are your new goals?

My goals haven't changed. My importants gaol is reaching #1, and my newest goal is go undefeated trough the hardcourtseason. Some people will laugh about this but I know I can do it if I give all I have. But defend my title at the US Open is a goal too and very important.

What did dissapear your motivation?

Uhm I don't really know that. I think my results, but also because of the rivalry at the tour. It isn't there really anymore. Last season I had a big rivalry agianst Kournikova, Bovina, Capriati, Hantuchova and many others. Now it isn't there anymore and I miss it. Maybe it is also because I haven't played against them for a while. Tough I think it's coming back. Look at the final at Linz, it was a great match.

How are you looking forward to this week?

With confidence. I'm here to win.

Thnx for your interview and good luck this week.

Thnx, you're welcome.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
48,967 Posts
Kick some butt

Kim Clijsters is confident and more relaxed than usual after taking a week off last week. She knows what to do against opponents and has goals to go a long way!"Indian Wells is one of the biggest tournaments and I know I can go through here far. Its just Mental." Kim Clijsters will face Tamarine Tanasugarn in the 1st Round and will play doubles with her sister.

·
Registered
6,364 Posts
Matt, I Sent You Points.

·
Registered
18,697 Posts
BREAKING NEWS!!!

Seles speaks out against Fantasy Tour
Admits to being forced to play Wimbledon

Indian Wells: Pakistani superstar, Monica Seles finally revealed the truth behind what happened at Wimbledon. Seles, who lost in the opening round in singles and doubles, never intended to play the grass-court Grand Slam after injuring herself in a loss in Zurich at a Wimbledon warm-up. The left foot injury severly limited her movement, to the point where she could no longer practice.

Seles said that she called up Matt Boyle, the tour director, to inform him that she would be withdrawing. This was terrible news for Boyle, because the Fantasy Tour, already devoid of stars, especially after Elena Bovina's retirement from the game, really needed a crowd-puller. Seles said Boyle refused to accept her withdrawl and told her to think about it and that the Tour would collapse if she withdrew. Seles said she was pressured by Tour officials into playing. "My coach wasn't with me as he was busy with his exams. Normally, he deals with this stuff. I didn't tell anyone and decided to play. When he[my coach] saw me on Center Court playing against Amanda[Coetzer] he freaked out.", Seles said.

The wear and tear of the match further severed Seles' injury. The selfish tour director didn't care though, since he had managed a packed crowd for an opening match, which is a rarity on the Fantasy Tour, unless the match involves someone of the caliber of Seles.

Seles has returned to Indian Wells, after approval from her doctors. She says she will test out her foot here. If things don't go too well, she may be out till the US Open.

Seles opens against Jelena Dokic and is playing doubles this week with her regular partner, Amanda Coetzer.

1 - 20 of 143 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.