Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
18,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Indian Wells Marks the beginning of the hard court season, and for many, a chance to start anew after less than desirable results on grass. Hard court goddess Venus Williams--the tour's strongest player on the surface, enters the tournament the favorite having gone 8-2 on the grass, but standing in her way are many other able bodied players. Lindsay Davenport may not have had the year's best results, but her hard court skills are envied by many on tour, and she tore up the surface last year--going 9-1. Anna Kournikova has been rather erratic this year, but she does sit well atop the rankings, and is the week's top seed. Quite the opposite, Martina Hingis has gotten to pretty much every tournament's semi-final round, but has yet to win her first singles title. Expect her in the later rounds, but can she break through this week? Similarly, Amanda Coetzer was, before the grass season, a sure pick to reach the quarters or semis of a tournament, and she hopes to gain that reputation after her aura was slightly diminished on the grass. However, her negative attitude will likely hamper her in her quest for the title. THe drama is bound to unfold this week. Who will be crowned champion of the desert?

Singles Main Draw
http://www.tournawiz.com/16draw.php?id=23&uid=mboyle

Doubles Main Draw
http://www.tournawiz.com/8draw.php?id=26&uid=mboyle

·
Registered
18,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
draw out! :bounce: No complaining:p ! (I will say it now: Serena got shafted:eek: )

·
Banned
3,702 Posts
I've always liked your draws... you never made Lena face seeds in the 1st round of tournaments when she was ranked lower... and now you keep me away from Anna & Martina. :)

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
mboyle said:
draw out! :bounce: No complaining:p ! (I will say it now: Serena got shafted:eek: )
And of course, look at Serena's draw. :rolleyes: :p

Marta Marrero / Serena Williams

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
ASV looking for a doubles partner.
Anyone?

·
Registered
18,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
tennisIlove09 said:
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Seles first round???? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: [geez...this is it, either I do well, or Lindsay's done]

Lindsay/Vee
What is that supposed to mean?:p

·
Registered
8,809 Posts
Maria arrives, looking forward to Pacific Life

Maria last week at Wimbledon in her Quarterfinal appearance

The Russian, Maria Kirilenko made her second quarterfinal appearance in a FANTASY SEASON event after defeating two top 15 players: G. Sabatini and A. Mauresmo at the Wimbledon Slam last week before going out to eventual winner and top seed Anna Kournikova. "My game has been improving alot, I feel my game is as good as anybody's going into Indian Wells."

Maria not known to be a threat to "power-players" on the tour, has however, been working on more variety in her gameplay to neutralize their power by offbalancing her opponents. "I hope this strategy can help me at least have a chance with them. The Elena Bovina match, losing 0-6 0-6 has been with me for weeks, its something I've hope to change."

Maria will face 3rd seed Amanda Coezter in the first round.

·
Banned
3,702 Posts
Maria, you made the QF's in Brussels also, the tournament before Wimbledon... that's where Lena won 6-0 6-0. :)

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Martina will shine in Indian Wells

After a dissapointed week at Wimbledon, Martina is ready to shine in Indian Wells. The Swiss Miss had a little injury on her hand last week, but that's totally over right know. Here an interview with Martina.

Last week was a little dissapointed for you, will you shine again this week?

Yes, but I did expect it. I had a little injury at my hand last week, so I couldn't play my game for 100%. And my confidence was not so good after that little injury. But Elena played very well too. I didn't expect that, but she played really well. I just come back from a trainingsession and everything worked well so yes haha I will shine this week.

But grass is your worst surface, hardcourt one of your best.

Yes that's treu, but I'm very happy with my grass season results this year. I reached a semifinal and a final. Last year was more dissapointed. But, yes, hardcourt and rebound ace are my best surfaces. But last year, my hardcourt results were not so good. So I hope for better results this year.

In Brussel, there was a chance for you to become the new #1

Yes, that was a big chance. If I won that final, then I became the new world #1. But I lost that final, it was very close but Elena played very well. At Wimbledon I had a chance too, but know it will be more difficult because Anna won Wimbledon.

Is it a problem for you that you didn't won one of your last 7 finals?

Yes, I will win a tournament. I'm one of the best players at this moment but I'm the only one who didn't won a tournament. And I can tell you, that's not funny. I thought that I had a good chance to win in Brussels, but I lost again in a close final. Maybe I have a chance this week.

But in doubles it's a whole other story

That's a whole other story haha! We win almost every tournament, and we won our 2nd Grandslam title last week at Wimbledon. That gives us an extra motivation to win more tournaments and Grandslams!

Thnx for this interview and good luck this week

Thank you, you're welcome.

·
Banned
3,702 Posts
BOVINA ARRIVES IN INDIAN WELLS

Elena Bovina at Wimbledon, where she reached the Semifinals, defeating Dinara Safina, Monica Seles, and Steffi Graf.

Q: Elena , hardcourt season now .

LENA: Yep... my favorite surface. I'm looking forward to it.

Q: Elena , do you really think you can be #1 ? You are quite confident .

LENA: Of course, I can. First off, I have nothing to defend until next year's French Open... so I can only move up. I already proved I can beat the best players on clay and grass... so I see no reason why I shouldn't be #1 eventually.

That all starts with winning the US Open, however. Anna has 2 slams this year. I only have 1. I'll have to equal her to truly prove that I'm #1.

Q: What about Indian Wells draw ?

LENA: I got a great draw. Arantxa is an improving young player, but I should get through that. The seed in my section is Amanda Coetzer, and she's been struggling lately. As for Maria Kirilenko... I'd probably double-bagel her again. :)

Q: Do you feel bad for Martina Hingis ? She still has no titles.

LENA: Hehe... sorry, Martina. It's not right that I beat in you in 2 finals... and you still have no titles. You know you're eventually going to win though.

Q: Elena , do you still think you will win next 6 titles ?

LENA: Damn straight. The road starts with me beating Arantxa today. #1, here I come. Can't stop the monster!

·
Sabatini lover Forever
15,213 Posts
Sabatini ready to face Anna Kournikova!!!

Sabatini during practice, she seems focused, but can she produce her best tennis to upset Anna?

Reactions: Leena
1 - 20 of 101 Posts