Tennis Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OZ Prep

Monica Seles - Hopman Cup. Is that enough prep? It's been a long time since Monica played a tournament with the tour elite in it. A problem she shares with ....

Venus Williams - Once again, Venus goes her own way. She'll play a Tier 3, wait week and play OZ. OZ has never treated Venus all that well. Maybe she should try doing it the ay everyone else does.<br />Naaahh...

Henin, Testud, Shaughnessy, Farina Elia - All playing Gold Coast and Sydney. Monica's 300+ points ahead of Testud/Shaughnessy/Farina Elia so this won't have a ranking effect. <br />But all three of these players have legit top ten aspirations, and clearly intend to get there fast. I'm not sure if Henin is the least of the elite, or the best of the rest.<br />But making the Gold Coast final will bring her within striking distance of Serena.

Davenport, Capriati, Hingis, Clijsters, S Williams, Mauresmo, Dementieva, Maleeva - The most popular prep strategy by far.

Which brings up an interesting question?

Which group will the tournament winner come out of?

Seles, V.Williams, Henin, Testud, Shaughnessy, Farina Elia

or

Davenport, Capriati, Hingis, Clijsters, S Williams, Mauresmo, Dementieva, Maleeva

Idiosyncratic Prep? or Orthodox Prep?

(Sounds like a high scholl basketball game. Idiosyncratic Prep vs Orthodox Prep.)

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
It really depends on the player, how they should prepare.

i think that Venus' preparation is quite a good one. She doesn't need practice against top players (she has enough confidence already), but could do with match practice and physical exertion. And she's playing doubles in Sydney, I think.

So in some ways her preparation this year is pretty orthodox.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts