Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 218 Posts

·
Banned
4,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We might as well stop moaning, and even celebrate the women who have stuck two fingers up to the health and fitness gurus and demonstrated that it is possible to be fat and successful. There have been many notables over the years, especially in the last few. These are role models to those who are carrying a few pounds that even if you're not prepared to put in the training, and eat healthily, you can still be successful in sport. Or, at least in women's tennis you can.

Lindsay Davenport was once likened to an articulated truck in c1995, and yet she was ranked number six in the world on the strength of the flawlessness of her groundstroke technique and the leverage lent by her height.

Monica Seles was prepared to sacrifice the rest of her career to food and lack of training after she returned to the court in 1995. And yet Seles, in spite of being unable to reach her former heights, was able to defeat both the Williams sisters, Hingis, Graf, Davenport, Novotna, Pierce, Sabatini, Henin, Clijsters and Capriati all at least once after her comeback.

Conchita Martinez, she with the ease of stroke production and tremendous guile, was number two in the world in 1996 when she had clearly not been training hard. I often have the impression with a lot of these players that when they aren't under pressure from those pushing up the rankings, they are more at ease eating cream cakes. Conchita by 1996 had accepted that she'd never best Graf, so she was happy to relax in the top three. It didn't last long, but she was still able to play quite well.

Fat and successful doesn't come as a more famous combination than Serena Williams, which is a testament to her ability. She has been several levels below her physical best of 1999-2004, and has been overweight for up to four years now. We've given up on her ever losing weight. Some say she's carrying a bit too much, some say a lot more. And yet she strolls to victory, testament to her devastating power, self-belief and, probably most key, her physical strength to pull herself around the court. It's a similar situation with Svetlana Kuznetsova, who often starts the season looking trim, but by Miami is looking fat again. And yet despite her underachievement, the Russian is an established member of the top ten now and probably will be for another five years due to her physical strength to maintain her balance under the weight of her body, and natural athleticism.

Some of these women are fat relative to their body types, perhaps, and though clearly not in optimum shape, they are not corpulent quite to the level that we suspect. But Marion Bartoli was once a lithe 17 year-old, similar to Alize Cornet in size. However, by any standards at Wimbledon 2007 Bartoli looked like she needed to go on a diet compared with any girl in the street. However, once again, she showed what big women can do in trouncing Henin (who had exhausted herself against a heavy-laden Serena) and playing respectably against the gazelle-like Venus.

We could go on. Ana Ivanovic was able to win tier 1 tournaments clearly several sizes larger than now. Nadia Petrova has been number three in the world with spare tyres. Magui Serna, who was a top 25 player, was a HUGE girl. I was once sitting watching a match at Birmingham and somebody whispered that top 30 Lisa Raymond's thighs were fatter than hers. I must admit I did look to decide for myself, and the woman was quite correct! Dinara Safina was top ten in 2006 clearly a stone heavier than she is now. Let's not mention Jennifer, bless her, because her woeful conditioning from all that partying ;) would detract from the joy that she was to watch and those awesome groundstrokes.

So maybe she would just celebrate women's tennis for what it is, and what it has increasingly become? In no other sport would wobbly flesh be as gainful.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
what a troll you are...go back in your corner please, you dullard!

Reactions: Ceri

·
Registered
24,901 Posts
^ LMAO!

Unless you see the players in person i don't think you can comment much. And having a little extra weight doesn't mean you are unfit, you can still have great stamina and carry a few extra pounds.

·
Registered
19,165 Posts
You'll be labelled a 'hater' and a 'troll' as is customary on these boards for anyone with an opposing viewpoint.

You make a valid point of view, that women's tennis has been plagued with overweight women in the upper echelons. I think it's important to make the distinction that while some of them may not be overweight, if viewed as regular people, they are overweight when viewed as professional athletes. Even in her dominant years, Monica's "widening caboose" was commented on as well as her propensity for butter.

Serena wasn't in optimal shape, but with the field the way it is at the moment, she doesn't need to be in optimal shape or form. Why work hard and be fit, when you know your opponent is going to make a ton of errors or fail to close out the match against you. Unlike a lot of the players you mentioned, Serena is very mentally tough and like a champion, wills herself to win because she is just that good.

And hopefully, Micheal Mewshaw is reading this thread and penning down his sequel as we continue our discussions in here.... ;)

·
Premium Member
27,114 Posts
I think it's a valid topic as well.

We've come a long way though from La Bella Figura of Gabriela Sabatini - or whatever that chapter was called.

·
Registered
19,165 Posts

We've come a long way though from La Bella Figura of Gabriela Sabatini - or whatever that chapter was called.
I thought he went out of his way to be cruel to Sabatini, as much as I loved the book itself. She came across as a shy girl with a lack of fluency in English, a secondary language. Gaby never did have weight issues though, so one less thing to pick on.

·
Registered
5,802 Posts
so, let me get this straight.

people winning because the bar has been lowered means that the game is at its height and the players who win are necessarily great or superior athletes?

as someone who likes sports and who actually participates in sport, i can't stand seeing fat out of shape women playing and winning. it makes women's sports seem like a joke.

personally, i find it disgusting when i see fat girls who are supposedly athletes playing "professional" tennis. there is no self-respect or pride in not even showing up to your job prepared?

some of them need to develop nerve and mental stability and metal.

i'm a regular person and i exercise and i try to be careful about my diet. i like to look good.

so, it is crazy to me to see a 20 year old girl walk on the court looking like a cow. come on! take yourself at least a little seriously.

for me, women's tennis is not in the league of some other women's sports - track, long distance running, triathlons, swimming. these are some of the most serious female athletes across the board. i mean, look at the women who do triathlons. they are hardcore and they are not punks like some of these wta chicks.

i like tennis, but the women just aren't that serious compared to their counterparts in some other sports.

people are just afraid to go hard on girls/women for being fat and out of shape. that's a pity sometimes.

·
Registered
5,802 Posts

this is sport. women, if they want to be taken seriously as athletes, need to show up with the same kind of intensity and physical preparation the men have.

this is not about "looks" imo. it isn't for me at least.

·
Registered
15,098 Posts
an overweight
could be just 5 kilos above the normal persons body weight...

anyway...
yes..
Serena Williams losts
MILLIONS OF MPH speed...
but her groundies are still there when in position...

once youre gifted youd always have the gift???
martina hingis always had that touch...

once Serena turns
we would still be talking about her overweight issue...

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
Hater...what you cant understand is that MANY African American women are usually "thick" in stature just as Serena is. Alot of it is in their genes...(in other words have meat on their bones and sexy!) and what you cant stand or fail to realize is that Serena does not have to be a size 0, with no breast and no ass and damn near look like a man on the court in order to win grand slams over and over again. Calling Serena fat wont stop her from winning grand slams...dont hate on her because you have a damn sick attraction to anorexic women who you think should be grand slam tennis players. Marion, Ivanovic and Davenport are hardly over-weight at all.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Hater...what you cant understand is that MANY African American women are usually "thick" in stature like that alot of it is in their genes...(in other words have meat on their bones and sexy!) and what you cant stand or fail to realize is that Serena does not have to be a size 0, with no breast and no ass and damn near look like a man on the court in order to win grand slams over and over again. Calling Serena fat wont stop her from winning grand slams...dont hate on her because you have a damn sick attraction to anorexic women who you think should be grand slam tennis players.
I love it when people channel Mariah Carey:rolleyes: What was Safina and Ana's excuse then?

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
well i'm sure your anorexic Hantuchova's, Kirilenko's, Benesova's, Cornet's, Chakvetadze's and Dulko's would trade in their stick thin frames for a Wimbledon final any day...

:p

:sobbing::sobbing::sobbing:LEAVE MARION ALONEEEEEE!!! :sobbing::sobbing::sobbing:

·
Registered
15,098 Posts
an overweight
could be just 5 kilos above the normal persons body weight...

anyway...
yes..
Serena Williams losts
MILLIONS OF MPH speed...
but her groundies are still there when in position...

once youre gifted youd always have the gift???
martina hingis always had that touch...

once Serena turns
we would still be talking about her overweight issue...

·
Registered
5,802 Posts
Hater...what you cant understand is that MANY African American women are usually "thick" in stature like that alot of it is in their genes...(in other words have meat on their bones and sexy!) and what you cant stand or fail to realize is that Serena does not have to be a size 0, with no breast and no ass and damn near look like a man on the court in order to win grand slams over and over again. Calling Serena fat wont stop her from winning grand slams...dont hate on her because you have a damn sick attraction to anorexic women who you think should be grand slam tennis players.
this is some serious bullcrap. seriously.

i am so sick of black people insisting black women are naturally fat or even "thick." it is ridiculous.

also, who said serena was fat? this is a thread that basically praises the overall lack of fitness and seriousness in women's "professional" tennis. it praises how you can get by, by doing so little.

do you actually watch women in other sports? you can't possibly be someone who watches sports.

alyson felix, catherine ndereba, and none of those black women in track are "thick." why? because the level of the competition in their sports dictates that they must be absolutely fit to win because none of those other women are messing around.

it is so annoying when people think that asking that a female athlete be fit is the same as demanding they be anoxeric.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Serena is not overweight. Look at her arms. They are so fit. Large breasts do not equal overweight

to me, this is not overweight:

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
this is some serious bullcrap. seriously.

i am so sick of black people insisting black women are naturally fat or even "thick." it is ridiculous.

also, who said serena was fat? this is a thread that basically praises the overall lack of fitness and seriousness in women's "professional" tennis. it praises how you can get by, by doing so little.

do you actually watch women in other sports? you can't possibly be someone who watches sports.

alyson felix, catherine ndereba, and none of those black women in track are "thick." why? because the level of the competition in their sports dictates that they must be absolutely fit to win because none of those other women are messing around.

it is so annoying when people think that asking that a female athlete be fit is the same as demanding they be anoxeric.
Man whatever...if you look at the shape of black women they generally are thicker in hips and thighs. I mean the topic says it all "OVER WEIGHT LADIES OF THE COURT"...over-weight is FAT and he refered to them as FAT. You asked me if I actually watch womens sport...now i'm asking you if you READ! As far as questioning if I womens sports, Richard Simmons, YES I do...hell i know what im talking about. Statics show that black women are more voluptious than many other women. THICK can mean big thighs, big gluets, and big hips...last time I checked...many track women (especially the black women) have thick muscular thighs. Serena has always had big breast and a notorious big booty since she played pro tennis...IMO she's always been thick...If you annoyed by my comment...ey, aint really shit i can do about that...thats your problem not mine...i'm not renigging on what I said...i stand by my comment..it is what it is. Either way the cookie crumble thick, fat, black, red or green..the girl winning slams.

1 - 20 of 218 Posts