Tennis Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
there are no other russians currently in the top 8 race to the championships. Obviously the year is not over yet, but such a difference from last year where 5 of the 8 players were russian.

·
Banned
25,017 Posts
Maybe because the real talent, the Big 4 has returned...

·
Registered
114,319 Posts
In 2005 points, there are 13 Russians in the top 43.
5 in the top 15. But only Maria is having a consistent year.
Nadia and Lena L. also made slam semis.
Nadia and Lena D. made a Tier I final. But no consistency.

·
Registered
448 Posts
RenaSlam588 said:
Maybe because the real talent, the Big 4 has returned...
the big four in my standings are
1. davenport
2. sharapova
3. henin
4. clijsters

or do you mean anyone else ???????? ;)

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
If anyone gets injured, a Russian will be there waiting to take her place. I can't imagine the three dominant non-Sharapova pairs (1. Belgians, 2. Williams Sisters, and 3. The slamless #1's, aka Davenport/Mauresmo) all staying healthy. Players like Kuznetsova and Dementieva have shown they can win 6 or 7 matches in a row before. They can capitalize on draws that are open for them in the future....right now, my guess is they don't feel like they have much of a chance given the comebacks we've seen this year. If injuries occur, they might sense the opportunity.

Zvonareva's career is over IMO. Or, at least, it's in a long hiatus. Mental and emotional toughness is not something that can be changed easily, especially when it's at such an extreme point as in her case.

Myskina may come back. She's a fighter.

Petrova won't amount to much. She'll win a title but it won't be big. She doesn't have the instincts of a champion.

Where are the new Russians? We've seen Linetskaya, Chakvetadze, and Douchevina but none of them seem like future top 5 talent. Maybe they following a Myskina-type career path.

ETA: Michelle, she is referring to the Belgians and the sisters. Of course, the sisters haven't done much to deter the Russians this year except for Sharapova. None of the other Russians will ever have a chance at Wimbledon, so Venus hasn't stopped them. And Serena has only had success at one tourney. The Belgians have been the main enemies for the Russians IMO. The Williamses have been the main rivals for Davenport this year.

·
Banned
25,017 Posts
michelle11 said:
1. davenport
2. sharapova
3. henin
4. clijsters

In terms of talent the top 5 in no particular order:

The Williamses
The Belgians
J. Capriati/Davenport

·
Registered
114,319 Posts
jfk said:
Where are the new Russians? We've seen Linetskaya, Chakvetadze, and Douchevina but none of them seem like future top 5 talent. Maybe they following a Myskina-type career path.
There are a couple of 14 year old Russian girls I'm excited about.
But for the next 3 or 4 years, Maria, Sveta, and the rest will have to get things done themselves.

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
michelle11 said:
1. davenport
2. sharapova
3. henin
4. clijsters

Might have been including players who actually won slams this year, but if you don't consider those important, then I'm sure a player who went out in the fourth round of both slams she competed in is better than the Wimbledon or OZ champs.

If youdon't consider the slams important, then the players with the most GS singles titles of anyone who competed in singles in GS tournaments this year, who also happened to win two of those slams, couldn't possibly be among the four best players.

Not everybody thinks the slams are important.

Of course, if slams ARE important.....;)

·
Worshipping the bangs
62,496 Posts
RenaSlam588 said:
In terms of talent the top 5 in no particular order:

The Williamses
The Belgians
J. Capriati/Davenport
Please. J Cap? Lena D. could (and did) beat her with one leg taped behind her back.

·
Registered
312 Posts
miffedmax said:
Please. J Cap? Lena D. could (and did) beat her with one leg taped behind her back.
First of all, it was a tiebreak in the decider. Second, it was a US Open semifinal, and we all know how Jennifer plays those.

·
Registered
24,225 Posts
Daniela¤Forever said:
First of all, it was a tiebreak in the decider. Second, it was a US Open semifinal, and we all know how Jennifer plays those.
jenn plays incredibly in us open semifinals! all three of her 3rd set tiebreak losses are classics. but she got drubbed in 2001 by venus... so.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
michelle11 said:
1. davenport
2. sharapova
3. henin
4. clijsters

Fantastic baiting... :p really didn't expect anyone to bite, but they really must be hungry... :lol:

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
faboozadoo15 said:
jenn plays incredibly in us open semifinals! all three of her 3rd set tiebreak losses are classics. but she got drubbed in 2001 by venus... so.
The 1991 and 2003 matches were classics, last year's semi was a horrible play-not-to-lose chokefest

·
Registered
448 Posts
Volcana said:
Might have been including players who actually won slams this year, but if you don't consider those important, then I'm sure a player who went out in the fourth round of both slams she competed in is better than the Wimbledon or OZ champs.

If youdon't consider the slams important, then the players with the most GS singles titles of anyone who competed in singles in GS tournaments this year, who also happened to win two of those slams, couldn't possibly be among the four best players.

Not everybody thinks the slams are important.

Of course, if slams ARE important.....;)
you didn't get it.
this is not MY ranking but the ranking in the race to the champions !
and that's what the opener of this thread was talking about.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts