Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
7,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking on Twitter, and I noticed that Ostapenko's video (on Tennis Gifs) of her standing up to the unsportsmanship and borderline bullying behaviour from Ajla Tomljanovic had 1.1 MILLION views.

Which is very impressive, because on the official Wimbledon channel, which will obviously have a much higher pull potential, the most viewed video from this year, is the men's (much more popular) semi-final highlights, with less than 1 million. Comparing to the ladies, Barty-Pliskova final, had around 500k.

This prompted me to get more stuff to compare, as this is really some star power. Looking at the WTA official channel, we only have 6 videos with more than 1 million views, all of them from at least 3 years ago.

Comparing to tennis gif's other videos, the second most popular one had 63k, not even a 10th.

All of this while playing on a small court on the R3, not being a top 30 and coming from a country with less than 2 million inhabitants and barely being market. Simply insane. What other girl can have 6+ million views while losing to some journeywoman in a small tournament in New Zealand?

Honestly, I think this all leaves it very clear why Ostapenko winning and having good result is very very good for the WTA. She simply has a natural star power and aura that simply makes things interesting and even epic at the same time. This was always very clear, just by looking at TF, it was always evidently that the girl had it. But looking at the numbers on Youtube, it becomes even more obvious.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
The official Wimbledon videos are geoblocked in a lot of countries, so their numbers will skew lower, despite their official status.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,247 Posts
WTA should embrace cat fights and pettiness. They are not going to match ATP on athletic prowess, so they should at least outdo ATP in tension and drama.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Ajla Tomljanovic ALSO "STARRED" in that Video.

Here is the Title:

Full Ostapenko - Tomljanovic drama. From build-up to press conference

It Wasn't All Ostapenko.

It was Co-Leading Actresses...

Like Thelma and Louise...

Why throw shade at Ajla (by not acknowledging that she was the Co-Lead)?

·
Registered
11,606 Posts
Penko is wta's face, wta should promote her more.

·
Premium Member
48,598 Posts
That people find Ajla's bullying is beyond me. :LOL:

Ajla is just talking to the umpire, she's not shouting, nothing, says what she thinks. Ostapenko is sit beside, probably hears, and doesn't react at all to what Ajla says. She's not shocked at all when Ajla calls her a liar. Jelena KNOWS she lies and did spit to everyone that outrageous match interruption out of frustration (because you know, she's SO better than Ajla, as she said in that post-match presser, cannot play 50% otherwise she would beat her ~ that's more arrogant than Bouchard ever was). What's truly shocking, is that the chair umpire didn't warn Ostapenko. That's what we do with vilain kids who need to grow up.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
The bad face of WTA in the spotlights?
Regardless of what you think of Ostapenko, I can't say it's bad for the sport per se to have a "villain" or "antagonist" of sorts. Like a movie or cartoon you watched growing up, a lot of people think it makes for better viewing with a bad guy/girl you can hate/dislike. Not that I necessarily think Ostapenko is a bad person overall. She may well be a nice enough person off the court.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Ostapenko needs to argue with everyone and be evil like Mladenovic used to be. I love a good villain
I just said this in my post. I should have added that Ostapenko would make a better "villain" or "antagonist" if she were a top level player like we thought she might be three or four years ago after winning the French Open or maybe still even not that long after it and she made the Wimbledon semis in 2018. Just to emphasize again, I'm not necessarily saying she's a bad person off the court. But you can't have it all, I suppose 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
Azarenka Tauson Ostapenko Badosa
1,091 Posts
Ostapenko is not a star, but rather a drama queen.
Of course people who are curious about such dramatical events, are not necessarily the hardcore fans, but some casual ones.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
I think it's not Ostapenko's finest moment, but compared to the early 2000s with Hingis and Kournikova it all seems rather quaint and tame. The tennis world must have been starving for drama post Jankovic/Woz

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.