Tennis Forum banner

41 - 60 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Re: Ostapenko Hits Cornet With A Serve, Wins The Point!

People are being a bit unfair to Ostapenko as always. The camera cutted and she probably apologized with a hand signal. She said sorry when she hit Cornet at first. It wasn't intentional and it didn't hurt probably. Accidents happen, what can we do? But as always some of the usual suspects are quickly to trash her here.

Anyway, even out of the top 50 Aljona still can get a lot of posts on threads related to her. Even in a doubles match that no one cares. Now, that's what I call being relevant.

·
Registered
54,074 Posts

·
Registered
3,498 Posts

Just when I was feeling a bit annoyed with Oysterpancake she finds a way to redeem herself.:eek:h:

I think all Cornet's opponents should adopt this tactic in upcoming matches. I'm sure she would see the funny side.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

Even Cornut didnt know the rule :haha:
It was like a comedy skit.

-Ostapenko [:silly:] attacks Cornet [:angel:] with a wayward serve.
-Cornet [:eek:] screams and Martic [:tape:] covers her mouth upon seeing the carnage.

-Umpire[:cool:]: "Advantage Ostapenko"

-Cornet [:shout:] protests

-Umpire [:shrug:]

-Cornet [:bs:]

-Ostapenko [:sport:]

Where's the poster that makes the comics? This one writes itself.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts

The big server and prick Robert Kendrick did it once full pace against Paes after an argument here at 0:32:

·
Premium Member
27,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #46

It was like a comedy skit.

-Ostapenko [:silly:] attacks Cornet [:angel:] with a wayward serve.
-Cornet [:eek:] screams and Martic [:tape:] covers her mouth upon seeing the carnage.

-Umpire[:cool:]: "Advantage Ostapenko"

-Cornet [:shout:] protests

-Umpire [:shrug:]

-Cornet [:bs:]

-Ostapenko [:sport:]

Where's the poster that makes the comics? This one writes itself.

@bobito pls

·
Registered
19,689 Posts

It's definitely an oddity in the rule book with the serve in the wrong court. Fortunately, players tend to be 'fair' and don't attempt this 'strategy' often...this was probably an unintentional mistake by Ostapenko (especially for male players, imagine an Isner trying to target you in the box)

Reactions: Perun

·
Registered
13,765 Posts
That’s a pretty good strategy, actually:eek:h:

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
64,637 Posts

For one thing if she'd actually said sorry you'd hear it. In the other video she clearly says "sorry" and Cornut says "it's okay." It looked like she may have raised her hand (like Kudermetova did) in the same non-apology way someone does for a net cord, but that's it, and you can see her walking over to high-five Kudermetova when the camera cuts and then them laughing.

Of course she would accept the point though :lol:. That's like saying Bertens should have given Halep the point in the Madrid final, or someone should decline a point if their opponent accidentally touches the net on a putaway.
I am still not convinced.

I don't think I would have accepted the point. It is nothing like opponents touching the net; that's something of their own doing. Here Cornet had absolutely no chance to avoid touching the ball, even though the serve was way off. In fact, it was because the serve was so off that she touched it in the first place. To me it's classless to accept that point.

·
Administrator
12,170 Posts

I am still not convinced.

I don't think I would have accepted the point. It is nothing like opponents touching the net; that's something of their own doing. Here Cornet had absolutely no chance to avoid touching the ball, even though the serve was way off. In fact, it was because the serve was so off that she touched it in the first place. To me it's classless to accept that point.
So do you also think Bertens should have given the point to Halep even though her smash would have been clearly out had it not touched her body, or that it's classless of her to accept the point? Bertens even seemed to remind the umpire that "hey it touched her". In both cases I think it is what it is - and it might not be advisable to give away a point when everything is within the rules here - the ball touches any part of your body and you lose the point. It's not like you give your opponent a point when they hit a clear ace that is called out and somehow the umpire doesn't see it or misjudges it - at least the circumstance is debatable.

·
64,637 Posts

So do you also think Bertens should have given the point to Halep even though her smash would have been clearly out had it not touched her body, or that it's classless of her to accept the point? Bertens even seemed to remind the umpire that "hey it touched her". In both cases I think it is what it is - and it might not be advisable to give away a point when everything is within the rules here - the ball touches any part of your body and you lose the point. It's not like you give your opponent a point when they hit a clear ace that is called out and somehow the umpire doesn't see it or misjudges it - at least the circumstance is debatable.
I think the smash is similar, though not as severe as the Ostapenko serve.

Obviously it's within the rules. But it would have been more gracious to refuse the point and hit a second serve. I think the comparison with the ace is completely moot; if it is so clearly an ace, then it's very unlikely that neither the linesman nor the umpire sees it.

·
always getting what i want
17,842 Posts

:happy:

·
Administrator
12,170 Posts

I think the smash is similar, though not as severe as the Ostapenko serve.

Obviously it's within the rules. But it would have been more gracious to refuse the point and hit a second serve. I think the comparison with the ace is completely moot; if it is so clearly an ace, then it's very unlikely that neither the linesman nor the umpire sees it.
But Bertens literally asked for confirmation that she got the point? It's also so out too, so I don't see why the level of severity is different in your eyes - so would you call that classless or not?

Oh I mean if it's called out, got challenged and the ball is shown in, and the server somehow only got a first serve instead of getting the point even when it's clear that without the call the receiver would be unable to return the ball or get it in play.

·
Registered
19,689 Posts

But Bertens literally asked for confirmation that she got the point? It's also so out too, so I don't see why the level of severity is different in your eyes - so would you call that classless or not?

Oh I mean if it's called out, got challenged and the ball is shown in, and the server somehow only got a first serve instead of getting the point even when it's clear that without the call the receiver would be unable to return the ball or get it in play.
in the case of this doubles match Cornet could not have expected it because she is NOT the receiver of the ball. She is just there to wait for her partner to return and continue the rally. If the server hits the receiver fine, but hitting the non-receiving player on her serve who wasn't even waiting to return seems off to me.

·
Administrator
12,170 Posts

in the case of this doubles match Cornet could not have expected it because she is NOT the receiver of the ball. She is just there to wait for her partner to return and continue the rally. If the server hits the receiver fine, but hitting the non-receiving player on her serve who wasn't even waiting to return seems off to me.
I get your point - I just think it's a one-time thing and I honestly think it's not intentional - like if Ostapenko could aim that well certainly her serve wouldn't be THAT bad.

·
Registered
19,689 Posts

I get your point - I just think it's a one-time thing and I honestly think it's not intentional - like if Ostapenko could aim that well certainly her serve wouldn't be THAT bad.
true. I can understand the no touch rule is intended to be 'general' - you know the pt is only over when the ball has landed out without obstruction, which is why a player can try to play a volley on an out going ball and lose the pt, balanced by someone who leaves a volley they think will be long that drifts in.

Ofc the generality of the rule also leads to weird cases such as this. Thankfully you'd think most players have enough integrity to not try this intentionally as a strategy. I could only be scared if Isner on the men's side tried using that once in a while, you couldn't defend against it.

Both players can laugh about it at least this time round.

I've seen a server hit her doubles partner in the back of her head with a serve.
Stosur

·
64,637 Posts

It's different because Halep could have anticipated that the ball was coming in her direction. Cornet had no idea. It's also different because Bertens had constructed the whole point, whereas Ostapenko was done absolutely nothing to earn the point.

Given that, I don't think Bertens was classless, but she would have been a good sport by giving the point to Halep.

·
Registered
36 Posts
A doubles team counts as a single player in the rules.

41 - 60 of 136 Posts