Tennis Forum banner

21 - 40 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
31,162 Posts
Re: Ostapenko Hits Cornet With A Serve, Wins The Point!

Sounded like "pute" to me?
I hear "pute" too, although Ostapenko said "Sorry" right after and Cornut quickly said "it's okay" and then seemed to even be laughing a little.

·
Always and forever.
33,715 Posts

she didn't call her a bitch in French, she said "putain", which means whore, yes, but is not used in that sense: in fact it's a common bad word in France, the equivalent of "fuck" as an exclamation (not as a verb, insult, etc.). Examples:
Putain ! J’en ai marre ! = Fuck! I’m sick of this!
Putain! Nous avons gagné! = Well, fuck! We won!
No, she CLEARLY said "la pute". I don't blame her though.

Sounded like "pute" to me?
Yep

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
64,637 Posts

How do we know she didn't apologize? The camera cuts to Martic and Ostapenko actually looks like she might be apologizing shortly before it cuts to the Croatian.

Entirely graceless though to accept the point.

·
Registered
31,162 Posts

How do we know she didn't apologize? The camera cuts to Martic and Ostapenko actually looks like she might be apologizing shortly before it cuts to the Croatian.

Entirely graceless though to accept the point.
For one thing if she'd actually said sorry you'd hear it. In the other video she clearly says "sorry" and Cornut says "it's okay." It looked like she may have raised her hand (like Kudermetova did) in the same non-apology way someone does for a net cord, but that's it, and you can see her walking over to high-five Kudermetova when the camera cuts and then them laughing.

Of course she would accept the point though :lol:. That's like saying Bertens should have given Halep the point in the Madrid final, or someone should decline a point if their opponent accidentally touches the net on a putaway.

Reactions: faboozadoo15

·
Honorary Admin
99,341 Posts

I hear "pute" too, although Ostapenko said "Sorry" right after and Cornut quickly said "it's okay" and then seemed to even be laughing a little.
I listened it again and in fact she said "la pute" and then "putain" lol

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
I always thought this rule was in place for those returning players who like to stand close to the service line and try to intimidate the server. Thus, if you happen to get hit while trying to affect my service then I win the point.

·
Registered
11,305 Posts

Classless as always :worship:

We all know that she would have raised a storm, and called Cornet and the umpire all sorts of names if that happened to her. But in this situation she's laughing about it, and there's no sign of a courtesy apology :rolleyes:

Glad she ended up losing.
Agree with you. She should have apologized.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts

I always thought this rule was in place for those returning players who like to stand close to the service line and try to intimidate the server. Thus, if you happen to get hit while trying to affect my service then I win the point.
Maybe Cornet was intimidating Penko by standing within 5 metres of the service box.

·
Registered
12,493 Posts

I wish more players did that. The doubles game would become a bit more watchable.

·
Registered
930 Posts

That is not ok. But worse than Penko doing it, is the rules allowing it and rewarding her the point. Makes zero sense. Just make a target of your opponent then

·
Registered
27,443 Posts

Ostapenko is trash for not even apologizing.
Glad she lost

·
Registered
34,153 Posts

Never forget Lisicki actually standing inside the service box that the opponent Erakovic was serving in during the 2011 Wimbledon doubles semifinal. Erakovic partner Tanasugarn was not amused.

·
Premium Member
181,826 Posts

I was there courtside when it happened :rolls:
Cornet had a hissy fit
Only saw last 2 games or so but that point was worth it

·
Registered
11,948 Posts

I love how Kudermetova does a little fist pump afterwards.. :haha:

I really hope there is a singles match between Ostapenko and Cornet soon.. The potential drama! :drool: Could make the Ostapenko Broady fiasco look like a weather report in comparison.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

For some reason I found Cornet's protest funny but appropriate.
"She served on me! It's a way to win a point"? :lol:

21 - 40 of 136 Posts