Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Re: Ostapenko Hits Cornet With A Serve, Wins The Point!

Classless as always :worship:

We all know that she would have raised a storm, and called Cornet and the umpire all sorts of names if that happened to her. But in this situation she's laughing about it, and there's no sign of a courtesy apology :rolleyes:

Glad she ended up losing.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts

It's a way to win a point!

The other time Penko hit Cornet (in a rally a bit earlier) looked like it actually stung. And Ostapenko definitely apologized about *that*. But this one was funny, WTA's answer to all the ATP underarm serve aces :)

·
Registered
31,162 Posts

The lack of apology is pretty rude. Hilarious that her horrendous serves managed to win the point somehow though.

·
Registered
31,162 Posts

I was obviously aware you would win a point by hitting a returner with a serve, but never even though of hitting the other player :lol: Does it mean you can purposely target the player at the net and score aces? :lol:
In theory yes although I imagine you'd get code violations and eventually defaulted if that really were an intentional strategy.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Reactions: Shvedbarilescu

·
Registered
1,154 Posts

In theory yes although I imagine you'd get code violations and eventually defaulted if that really were an intentional strategy.
what violation would that be? unsportsmanlike conduct?

·
Registered
31,162 Posts

what violation would that be? unsportsmanlike conduct?
Yes :shrug:? It might be a bit hard to prove, but trying to hit your opponent instead of the court is kind of the definition of unsportsmanlike. I know with both at net that can be a good strategy (and that's when the opponent is within the court anyway), but serves are a bit different.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts

Yes :shrug:? It might be a bit hard to prove, but trying to hit your opponent instead of the court is kind of the definition of unsportsmanlike. I know with both at net that can be a good strategy (and that's when the opponent is within the court anyway), but serves are a bit different.
yeah, this part is why I'm not sure you could issue it. People do target their opponents all the time in doubles and it's not considered a violation.

Of course, it would be ridiculous to allow a player to do that strategically, I just wonder if the rulebook is prepared for that.

·
Registered
31,162 Posts

yeah, this part is why I'm not sure you could issue it. People do target their opponents all the time in doubles and it's not considered a violation.

Of course, it would be ridiculous to allow a player to do that strategically, I just wonder if the rulebook is prepared for that.
Yeah honestly not sure TBH but it seems a fairly obvious judgment call. Again, there's a big difference between targeting an opponent who is standing in the court and targeting an opponent who's standing in the middle of the wrong service box.

Reactions: posthuman

·
Honorary Admin
99,341 Posts

:spit: at her calling Penko a bitch in French.
she didn't call her a bitch in French, she said "putain", which means whore, yes, but is not used in that sense: in fact it's a common bad word in France, the equivalent of "fuck" as an exclamation (not as a verb, insult, etc.). Examples:
Putain ! J’en ai marre ! = Fuck! I’m sick of this!
Putain! Nous avons gagné! = Well, fuck! We won!

·
Registered
16,025 Posts

lol

·
Registered
2,774 Posts

she didn't call her a bitch in French, she said "putain", which means whore, yes, but is not used in that sense: in fact it's a common bad word in France, the equivalent of "fuck" as an exclamation (not as a verb, insult, etc.). Examples:
Putain ! J’en ai marre ! = Fuck! I’m sick of this!
Putain! Nous avons gagné! = Well, fuck! We won!
Sounded like "pute" to me?

·
Registered
12,062 Posts

HAHAHA ostapenko is a mess. love her.

Reactions: Hanan Ubis
1 - 20 of 136 Posts